New F800GS ADVENTURE!!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bjorn_dakar, May 2, 2013.

1. OldPete2112

OldPete2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine out for some fun today after picking it up Monday. Hope your Christmas Day was as much fun. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419562221.018855.jpg

All who wander are not lost.
  2. puzzel

puzzel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What happen to Remus?
  3. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same thing?:ear
  4. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Just got her first oil change done.. and got a box from UPS today with more farkles..

[​IMG]

In the works:

AltRider Skid Plate
    AltRider Headlight Guard
    Continential TKC80 Front
    Heidenau K60 Rear

I"ll post up full reviews/thoughts very soon!
  5. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:
    That is a great looking GS-- wish I had your fairing!
  6. OldPete2112

Oddometer:

Funny story about that. Apparently the end cone was cracked, and the MOD skid plate did not work with the Remus header.

So dealer has ordered a Black Dog plate which is supposed to work with the header, and now has the replacement exhaust.

But, I am now back at work up North, so it all has to wait until I get home again Mid January. So when I get home I am going to try to run another 800km on my bike and bring it in for service and install of the Remus, as well as the PC5.

Man, you guys don't miss anything, lol!

All who wander are not lost.
  7. OldPete2112

Oddometer:

You are going to like the alt-rider headlamp guard, it's well built.

I also ordered their radiator guard and rear rack, as well as foot plate and rear brake master cylinder guard. Very, very impressed with their products. Seem very well designed and built.

Nice bike dude!

OP

All who wander are not lost. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419639527.659184.jpg
  8. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh yes!!! Don't you just love the new bike smell??? Congrats...
  9. Snks

Snks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is the best place to post what I consider one of the worst things on a 800 adventure. The kickstand.

When you have two up and loaded with boxes I have to use the kickstand to get off the bike. Unless the ground is almost perfectly level the kickstand will not swing through it's ark. It appears if there was a problem and I needed to stop on a highway it might be almost impossible with the grade of the roadway.

I don't think the kickstand is bent. Anybody run into this or have a cure.
  10. Rotorrad

Rotorrad Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Two people with bags is enough weight to "squat" the suspension such that the side stand might touch before you have it fully extended. Dismount the passenger first then extend it, if it still touches on flat ground without the passenger, crank the suspension up a bit.

If you have an ESA bike, make sure you have it set for two up.
  11. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The kickstand swings forward so the bike won't roll ahead when parked on a hill. Unless you are on level ground you need to lean the bike past straight up to get the stand down. Add in the height of the bike and and a load to squat the bike it makes it difficult to lean it without tipping over.

I think the stand is too long. I put lowering springs on my bike and when I cut off the stand I took an extra half inch off it. I still have more problems getting the stand down than the bike leaned too much.
  12. Snks

Snks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I did crank the spring and it didn't really seem to help much. I will try to get my wife off the bike first without the stand down. I'm a little short holding the bike but that's a good idea.
  13. Snks

Snks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So that's why it makes the spastic ark. I just keep it in gear when parked on a hill.
    When you finally get the bike on the stand there is an incredible lean so I don't think I can cut it. However if you watch the stand at it's ark when it hits the ground at the lowest point it seems the front pad could be bent or hacked off to clear much better. Then a larger pad could be welded on to the other portion. It's either that or a have a new chrome moly kickstand made without the bend that causes it to hit the ground so bad.
  14. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. CaptainAdv

CaptainAdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always thought:
    Road only or fair weather = lexan
    Dirt/mud = metal wire

The lexan would get dirty and hold mud. The wire mesh does cast a pattern/shadow though.
  16. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had problems with the stand as well. Some observations...

1. If the bike is on flat level ground...whether on pavement or offroad...I don't have any problems with the stock length, even with a loaded bike.

2. If the bike stops on a positive incline to the left of the rider, you can't lower the kickstand.

3. If the bike stops on a negative incline to the left of the rider, you can lower the kickstand, but you have to be careful it doesn't lean to the left too far.

4. Since I'm 5'7"...stopping in general is tricky and I have to pay attention to the lay of the road and it's surface.

5. With the kickstand down on a negative incline, I often search around for a rock to put underneath the kickstand prior to remounting the bike. It helps get the bike in a more upright position.

6. When riding with friends, I'm not above asking for someone to hold the bike when I mount up, if the bike is on the ragged edge of being able to get the kickstand down. Better they hold the bike than having to help me pick it up.

7. Just when I had a good routine going, I installed the new Touratech Cartridges, which seemed to raise the front of the bike a bit. Maybe the new springs needs some time to sag. :)

My bike has gone over on its side 3 times...once I was thinking about something else and didn't put my feet down. :) Once on the left side when I thought the kickstand was fully engaged and once on the right side when I put my right foot down and there was no earth underneath it. The common denominator was that I wasn't paying attention, thus my fault, not so much the bike.

If level ground is the only thing you ever stopped on, there would be some use in either extending or shortening the kickstand depending upon your situation. But since we all know that not to be the case, I don't see much use in modifying a kickstand, since there will be a time when your modification works against you.

I have seen an adjustable kickstand, but I'm not sure it would live up to the rigors of offroad riding.

Good luck, post photos if you do modify your kickstand.
  17. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    In conclusion, you'd better have bought a 700 :D
  18. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me? No, I don't ride with my feet in the ground...I just need to pay attention when I stop. :)
  19. puckpuck

puckpuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My first post, and my first adv bike. Gosh it's so awesome and been enjoying every second on it.

I lurk around this forum for quite sometime. You guys gave great tips and insights. I'm 140lb 5'8" with 30" inseem. I pulled thru first week fear managing this beast. Thought so many times of lowering it but 5 weeks past, I think I'm ok with how it is. Probably all the bags that lowered it down a bit.

Got the TT crash bar installed last week.

[​IMG]
    I use bicycle Velox handlebar tape wrap here and hemp twine for some gripping. borrowed technique from vintage bicycle, several coat of clear coat shellac is used to finish up on top of of the tape for waterproofing.

Still having a steep learning curve with the Nav V, so I use googlemap on iPhone more. Anytip or thread in this?
  20. Cdlabate

Cdlabate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wrap my bars with 550 cord. Great for adventuress moments. 🐐