New F800GS ADVENTURE!!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bjorn_dakar, May 2, 2013.

1. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    Nothing to do last night, so I had a few of theses.
    [​IMG]

Ended up doing this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeebus, I had so much fun, I think I'll do that again tomorrow night. I hope it not addicting. :1drink
  2. Merlin32

Merlin32 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh great you have it loaded with 500lbs of gear and personnel and you complain about a kickstand. That really seems logical.
  3. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright guys, sorry about the delay..I've been quite lazy in posting my experience with TT upper crash bars & other misc accessories that I have.

In reference to TT uppers, I found the installation pretty annoying because it seems like the upper crash bar is not perfect fit. I followed the instructions to the T where it states to loosely fit all the components,adjust and align, and then tighten all the fixing points. I've fiddled around with it for a couple hours to ensure there is some space between my fairings and the uppers. I failed.

View attachment 333731

The uppers barely touch my fairings and kinda worries me what would happen if or I take a spill. Overall, the quality of the TT uppers are great but it annoys me it's not a perfect fit.

-kwando
  4. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pic 2
  5. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pic 3
  6. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pic 4
  7. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine weren't perfect either....had to send the left side back and get a replacement because it would simply not fit.

Both sides touch the high fender...I put a little piece of rubber underneath because I'm anal. Crashing could impact the fender in an ugly way.

Their jig or bending program needs a bit of tweaking.

They do look nice though.
  8. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riders,
    Last September, I had an opportunity to pick up a used 2014 GSA with 4900 miles for a good price from an inexperienced rider that moved to Columbia. When I was inspecting the bike, I noticed he dropped the bike (hardly any damage) which enabled me to have leverage in negotiating the price. After the deal was done…I started to slowly set up the bike for my adventures. Anyways, here is my set up:

- Touratech Uppers
    - Altrider Lexan headlight guard with bezel
    - Black Dog Skid Plates (these are awesome)
    - Enduristan Sandstorm 2 Enduro Tank Bag (kinda bulky but nice...see pic)
    - Garmin Montana with mount
    - GoPro mounts all over the Bike
    - BMW Panniers/Top Case
    - Loobman Chain Oiler (When this breaks, I won’t get a replacement)

At this moment, this is all I need/want. Hope you see you guys on the dirt.
  9. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My left side has the issue as well. Do you know if TT will replace the left side after installation?
  10. GPHusky250

Oddometer:
    Not sure...talk to Benjamin or Iain and they should be able to tell you.
  11. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I did a little video on the AltRider Skid Plate for my F800GSA.. I always like to help others if they are looking for more details on products that I've purchased.. so here you go. A little install and review of it..

Here's the link: F800GSA : ALTRIDER SKID PLATE

Cheers! Next up is the AltRider Headlight Guard...
  12. CaptainAdv

CaptainAdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job!
  13. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Took me a while, but I finally found this thread :D

I've contributed to the TT crash bar thread, but thought I'd post up a pic of my bike, pre-TT bars. Looks like I need to get back out for some updated photos.

[​IMG]
  14. GPHusky250

Oddometer:
    The conclusion ended up being...after installing the cartridges and rear extreme shock...to then add the BMW low seat. Everything pretty much back to normal, although I'm going to have a friend of mine at Seat Concepts reshape the foam a bit in the thigh area. Other than that, I'm good and the suspension change is magical.
  15. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Fellas... I wanted to give you an update... I sent my install/review post to AltRider rep Mitch and he passed on my questions about why the skid plate isn't wider at top, as I mentioned in my video.. here's the responses I got. Much respect to AltRider and taking the time by an engineer & company president!!

Mitch reply:
    I wrote one of our designers on the shape of the front of the skid plate, here’s what he said:

As designed the skid plate does its job of protecting the lower engine case from obstacles that are ridden over. That’s it’s #1 job. It has a secondary function of protecting the oil filter and heat exchanger from rocks thrown up, and those areas are also vulnerable in certain situations when riding over logs and large rocks –still within the skid plate’s mission.

We had to decide between its function and what the overall weight and size of it would be. Could have made it huge (like up to the lower edge of the radiator) but at some point have to stop and trim the design to what is functionally needed for the task.

So that’s why the skid plate is shaped like it is. It’s a weight and size decision -- at some point the skid plate becomes too heavy and overkill to really perform.[/QUOTE]

From AltRider president Jeremy:

Mitch reply:
    Also I just got a reply from Jeremy (company president). He’s pretty involved in all the design decisions as well:

It’s due to the approach angle of front wheel. It would require a lot of geometry for that front header, which is not likely to get much action.

Additionally there is the constant balance between lots of protection and weight

So a fairly similar answer, though the geometry thing makes sense as well. Though you might hop over something with the wheel, the likelihood of it coming between the wheel and the skid plate is pretty low.​

so there you have it.... that's huge for me to get a couple responses on my review. I've also told them put me first on the list for their Uppers, which will be out later this year.. :deal
  16. Superduner

Superduner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The answer to the mounting/dismounting methodology is to use the Monty Python Ministry of Silly Walks as a training video.

Then it's just a matter of starting the walk at the right distance from the side of the bike.

I'm 6'4" and still have problems. Mind you, the advanced age might have something to do with it.
  17. OldPete2112

OldPete2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Your going to like that!

Got one on my 2015 GSA, Even the guys at the dealership commented on it.

I also got some other bits such as the rear rack, much nicer than others I have seen. The edges are turned down, makes it very easy to strap things down, and it's strong.

OP

All who wander are not lost.
  18. LeCler

LeCler Ain'tSayin

Oddometer:
    Here's a few shots from a trip back in June of this year. I don't have all the fancy stuff as of yet. Just use map and had the Google maps to take screen shots to send to the wife JIC.

[​IMG][/url]IMG_1397 by lecle40, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url]IMG_1611 by lecle40, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url]IMG_1770 by lecle40, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url]IMG_1529 by lecle40, on Flickr[/IMG]
  19. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    What bike did you guys trade up/down from for the 800GSA? :ear
  20. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:

Well.. I added to.... :evil I wanted a ADV touring bike for longer distance, less aggressive, even some 2-up camping trips with my wife, and the F800GSA really is the perfect bike for this.. for me!

My WR250R is my real adventure bike.. and my WR250F is my woods ripper.. so the F800GSA fits my riding needs where those two bikes don't...

Ride safe!