New F800GS ADVENTURE!!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bjorn_dakar, May 2, 2013.

1. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The most recent bikes were an 1150GS and a KLR. I had to sell them both when I moved and picked up the 800 once I settled into my new digs.

I really do miss the R motor though :(
  2. Razta

Razta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sold my Honda XR650L for my GSA.
  3. CSmasher

CSmasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kept The 2012 Duc 1098SF, bought the 2014 GSA :evil

Ride the GSA 90% of the time because it is so fun.
  4. Harpoonalt

Harpoonalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have the same bike......thinking of the same switch. How'd it work out?:ear
  5. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    My previous ride was a '07 R1200GS.
  6. LeCler

LeCler Ain'tSayin

Oddometer:
    :ear
    Actually, I bought a very used KLR at the same time that I bought my GSA. I didn't want to "practice" adventure riding on my brand new BMW, but after laying it down and cracking the fairing at the end of my first week while going too fast on a gravel road...well, I sold the KLR.
    The BMW dealer said that my bike is the only one that he's seen that's getting the read adventure out of it. I have laid that puppy down so many times and ran it on some single track stuff. It's an awesome bike. Before I bought it, I hadn't rode anything over a 600 in say 20 years. Hope that helps.:clap
  7. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    Started with a 1200 RT, went to a 2008 GS and loved it. Then I decided the 2011 1200 Adventure was the ticket. Did all the standard mods, and also added a 21 inch front wheel from Woodys. I shipped the bike to Europe and did over 70 days solo through 13 countries. Still loved the bike. Came home and set my mind on the BDR Series. I did the AZBRD last May with relative ease, but realized the 1200 was not a serious off-road adventure bike, even with the 21 inch front wheel. Wallowed on anything more than a gravel road. Sold it the following month. Stock with correct springs, the 800 runs circles around the 1200 off-road. On the highway, I sacrifice a bit in comfort and speed, but once I hit the dirt, even gravel roads, the 800 shines. It performs like an off-road adventurer should. I can swing the rear out and ride it like a true "dirt bike". On the road the 1200's are never far ahead.
  8. Razta

Razta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It worked out great. Only difference off road it seems is that when you get stuck and need to push the bike, the GSA is much heavier.
    I am really enjoying my GSA. Its nothing to take it on a 300 mile ride and ride it off a road on the same trails I took the XR.
  9. Harpoonalt

Harpoonalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got to sit on one yesterday. It felt just like a bigger version of the Honda. The seat was noticeably way better than my XR with the seat concepts seat. I've looked at a lot of bikes and this is the first one that has felt "Right".
  10. Davethebullet

Davethebullet n00b

Oddometer:
    Sold my 2008 klr for GSA800 2014 1 season and 16 500 km on and love it!!!!
  11. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I bought my F800GS (which is now sold) back in 2013, I did so to trade in another bike which wasn't working for me. So I basically took whatever I could find on the showroom floor on that day.

And it was the best bike I have owned so far, really suited me well, and never felt much need for the bigger 1200GSA. So it was a lucky coincidence. The lightness was refreshing, and after a while it becomes a do it all, throw around bike that I could ride with confidence. I didn't do trips longer than 400km/day with it, so I don't know how it would have worked on much longer trips.

It was tiring on longer stretches though. The long and narrow one piece seat felt MX-like. Wind protection wasn't great (but that's every bike for me at 6'4") and doing long endless highway miles wasn't the most soothing experience I had on a bike (high revs, some vibes). But around town and in the mountains it was great.

However, I later noticed that indeed it was rather cramped despite the height. The height was fine, but the foot peg to seat distance was short, folding up my legs. It became especially apparent after switching back and forth from a raised ktm 990 adventure which I also had at the time.

Now, to get back on-topic, when I bought my GS (early 2013) there was no sign of a F800GSA yet. It came out half a year later. I could have easily waited a few months for trade in, but there you go... On paper it solves a few of the issues I had with the GS, like increased fuel range (man that GS fuel range is TINY!) and maybe better wind protection?

From sitting on it at a dealers, I could have sworn the peg to seat distance is increased compared to the regular GS? Couldn't compare them back to back, so not sure. Is this right?

One thing that bmw 800 line desperately needs though, is a little more "pep" and "go" from that engine. I don't need 160 hp in a do it all touring-adventure bike at all. I think they make for fragile, fickle and overly expensive luxury bikes I don't care for. Anything between 800-1000 is more than enough. I'll take the lightness over bragging rights any day of the week. But that 800 feels anaemic at times, you really have to wring it out sometimes.

I'm looking really closely at a 1200 super tenere right now, because you can find a low mileage one that is 1500 euro cheaper than a new F800GSA, and because I know it is gonna be roomy and tall enough for me. But I dread having to go back to heavy bikes like the super ten, when all I needed was a +- 200kg < 1000cc adventure tourer. The super ten is insane value for money though.

The 800GSA is freaking expensive, imo!! for what it is anyway.

Lastly the F800GS is prettier than the F800GSA, which looks a lot like the outgoing pre 2013 GS it is replacing (the GSA doesn't have the sleek side panels that the GS has)
  12. NDTransplant

NDTransplant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Thinking it over....

Would replace V-Strom 650 which I never ride and a KLR650 which I'm getting very frustrated with...
  13. DetoX68

DetoX68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy the bike you dream of, not the bike that might be a bit cheaper. If it takes more time because of money, have patience.
  14. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    What model is that in the bonze color with the interesting looking headlight?

15. NDTransplant

NDTransplant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe that's a Ducati of some sort, motocopter.
  16. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right, I see that now. Curiosity satisfied. No interest. :lol3

Thanks.
  17. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    ducati diavel :eek:)
  18. LeCler

LeCler Ain'tSayin

Oddometer:
    :freaky
    I own a GSA 8 and although I am far from 6'4", I have no issues with all the pep and everything. Anemic may be a little harsh because all I need to do is zip past the cars and she does that just fine. If you're wanting to zoom frequently at 100mph and don't want anything heavier than the GSA, you'll have to build your own. I rode from AR to OR on mine without any issues and no highway pegs either. Spent usually about 8hrs+/day on it for the two weeks I was gone (attended a PSSOR Adv Camp in Klamath Falls - AWESOME!). I was thinking of either the KTM 1190 Adv R or just notch it down to the 690 Adv R (for the sake of weight). I think it really depends on what you really want to ride and what your intentions are with it (i.e. World touring, DS, long rides on forest roads, etc..). I have never ridden the GS8 but really like the newer white with red frame. I don't care too much with the width of the GSA.
    Those are my two cents anyway.
  19. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    • Camel Tank for increased range?
    • Windscreen like the MadStad?

• Re-gearing to something like 15/45?
    • Sargent seats (also a heated seat option)

Yeah, when I picked up mine there were definitely certain "deficiencies" in the bike. Most are easily correctable, but it's a pricey bike already and to have to spend more money ... at least you don't have to spend it all at once!
  20. LeCler

LeCler Ain'tSayin

Oddometer:
    [*] Re-gearing to something like 15/45?
    [*] Sargent seats (also a heated seat option)
    [/LIST]

Yeah, when I picked up mine there were definitely certain "deficiencies" in the bike. Most are easily correctable, but it's a pricey bike already and to have to spend more money ... at least you don't have to spend it all at once![/QUOTE]

I bought into the 15/45 conversion and love it. It's the bomb offroad and a brake-saver there as well. On tarmac I've lost about 40 miles from the tank so it's a bit brutish there, and I rarely go over 80mph. Still shows an average of 40mpg. :clap