New F800GS ADVENTURE!!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bjorn_dakar, May 2, 2013.

1. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Teach.. is an amazing rider, i've seen him ride at my local dealer a few times, he'll be doing his show on Apr. 11 at Gateway BMW in St. Louis, Mo. :thumb
  3. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Xeroo and bash3r like this.
  4. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    I give FortNine props for his hard work.. but his stuff is so cheesy it makes me cringe, I can't watch him and all his facial expressions and wordy wordison for wordy sake.. but still props for his love for ADV.

And yep, I love my F800GSA too...
  5. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting an old thread...

Been wanting an F800GSA for a long time, but something always seemed to get in the way of getting one. I test rode a few, and I used to have an early F800GS, so I'm familiar with the bikes. Over this past summer I ran across a listing for a 2015 F800GSA not at a BMW dealer. Based on the pics, it was originally from PA, but made its way to California. Clean title. It sat on the lot for a bit, and finally in August I took a look at it. Decided to get it, and rode it home the following week.

It was used, but didn't appear to be abused...ridden as intended would be my guess. A couple of scuffs and scratches here and there, so I knew it had been down on both sides, but because everything looked original to the bike, it didn't seem to have gone down hard. Some fading on the switchgear and a bit of corrosion on a couple of bolts, so it looked like it had been ridden year-round and not spent much time in a garage. Imperfect, but that's ok with me. Decent bike, and purchased for a fair amount less than the asking price of any others I've seen on the market.

Since getting it, I've done a few things:
    - cleaned the heck out of it
    - replaced the left-side engine bar...the stock was bent just a tiny bit, making it tough to get the Touratech upper crash bars on...they fit, but just barely. New engine bar made for a quick & easy install.
    - Installed TT upper crash bars
    - SW motech skidplate
    - Barkbuster handguards
    - Puig adjustable windscreen (works well for me, with less noise & buffeting than the stock screen)
    - installed the Best Rest upper shock bolt & brace...the original was perfectly straight, but I know this is a weak point on these bikes.
    - New tires & tubes (Michelin Anakee III for now)
    - Oil & filter change
    - New rear brake pads
    - New brake fluid
    - checked every nut & bolt that I can get my hands on...back it out a bit & re-tighten, or pull it, clean, and re-install.
    - checked the air filter (good shape, no need to change)
    - Checked it with GS-911...no codes, just needed to reset the date and service indicator.

I'm really happy with it, and it suits me very well, along the lines of the RyanF9 video...imperfect bike, imperfect rider, blah blah blah.

When I got it, the engine was noisy and vibrated more than a factory fresh bike, but a few tanks of Chevron and it is much better. I still need to get after lubing wheel bearings, caliper bolts, and swingarm bearings, and that's on the agenda for a rainy weekend this winter. Wheel bearings seemed well lubed when I had the wheels off, and the calipers aren't sticking, but I want to do it anyway.

One issue I haven't been able to track down yet: a raspy resonance at 3200 & 3800 rpm, only under a moderate load and only when the engine is warmed up. It sounds like an exhaust heat shield buzzing a bit, and it's tough to tell exactly where it's coming from because it only does it when moving & accelerating. It's not terrible, but it is there, and I want to find what's doing it. I took the fairing off, checked every nut, bolt and every piece of metal & plastic I could get my hands on, checked around the radiator, pulled the skid plate & checked anything I could, re-torqued the center exhaust hanger bolt, and even pulled and re-installed the muffler to no avail. It has improved over time as the engine continues to smooth out with good quality gas, but it's not completely gone. I know that diagnosing noises over the internet is generally futile, but I'm just checking to see if anyone else had a similar issue and if they were able to resolve it.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks and cheers!
    bozmotodual16 and WQFTruckster like this.
  6. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mileage?
  7. dirtriderdan

dirtriderdan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get a similar resonance or buzzing as I'm accelerating through a narrow rpm range but never took the time to track it down. I was thinking it might be the springs buzzing against the exhaust. The springs that hold the silencer onto the header pipe. I have a full arrow system on mine and it became pronounced once I installed it. I think the springs weren't wrapped with anything to prevent vibration and tinging against the can. At first I was thinking the exhaust might be vibrating against the aftermarket skid plate since clearance was very minimal but after changing skid plates to BDCW with plenty of clearance I still had the issue.
    soldierguy likes this.
  8. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    About 7700 miles when I bought it, about 8800 miles now.

That's interesting, and I'm really glad you posted! I was wondering if maybe there was something inside the exhaust or muffler that broke off or got accidentally dropped in there. I know that's a possibility, but the fact that you had it before and after the arrow install makes me think that might not be the case. I wondered about the skidplate as well, but it did it with both the stock plastic piece and the aftermarket aluminum skidplate. I was also wondering about the exhaust springs, and was considering wrapping them with something as I've seen on other bikes, and still want to give that a try. I do hear it more if the BMW aluminum panniers are on the bike, but that may be that the sound is just being reflected off the panniers and I can hear it better. I've touched every nut & bolt on the pannier racks themselves, and don't see the racks touching anything they shouldn't, so I don't think it's the racks.

I'll try wrapping the springs with something and see what that does...just gotta find something appropriate that won't burst into flames or melt due to the exhaust heat.
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  9. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had three F800GS's and never noticed this. However, I must say that motorcycles make noise and I've never been much bothered by a rattle that I can't explain so I wear earplugs and ride it. I probably have 50,000 miles or so on these bikes without hiccup.....your's is barely broken in.

That said, I noticed more engine noise on my F850GS when I replaced the OEM bash plate with a quality aluminum one. Even had a friend comment on it.
    soldierguy likes this.
  10. dirtriderdan

dirtriderdan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did many things at once on mine including the bash plate and panniers and exhaust all at once. So any of those could have made the sound more pronounced. Not a good way of doing things. Better to apply scientific method and change one variable at a time if trying to track down a strange noise. I have so few miles on my bike I can't be bothered by it. Didn't even ride a single mile this past season actually. That's no way to treat a GS. I'll do better next season. Congrats on your bike.
  11. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    Just ordered two pre-wrapped exhaust springs, and I'm getting the springs and shipping for free! I did a quick measurement on the bike, and the Akro exhaust springs (part PS-1, 80mm) on Revzilla seemed to be closest to what I'm looking for. I'll post up results when I get the parts, get them on, and do a test run.
    dirtriderdan likes this.
  12. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    Aluminum skidplates definitely reflect more noise than plastic ones. But I'm getting a raspy resonance that didn't change when switching from the stock plastic one to the aluminum one. But congrats on the 850GS! I test-rode an F850GSA this past summer at the Superbike races at Laguna Seca...it's a sweet bike!

Life happens. I'd love to ride more, but unfortunately it's generally been weekends only, until I start riding to work. I'll start that when we get out of the rainy season here. Up to this point, it's been a lot of tweaking & testing, because like you said, I prefer to do one thing, test it, then move on. I break that rule when pulling the fairings or pulling multiple parts is involved though.
  13. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    Hi- good buy- it is a good bike for the right rider.

I have s 2015 GSA.

I know the sound you mention. Back in the day there was a lot of talk about it.

This was my experience- It went away. Either when I put in a metal rad screen and cut out the plastic POS (abutting the metal rad) ... or when I put the fairings back together... but the sound - it is forward- nothing to do with skid plate or skid material or header/exhaust.
    soldierguy likes this.
  14. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    I'm all about inexpensive fixes at the moment, since I have to do an unplanned complete bathroom remodel because a small intermittent leak managed to soak a wall and the bathroom subfloor, necessitating ripping everything out and starting over. So I think I'm going to try pulling out the stock plastic radiator screen this weekend and try to insulate it from the radiator using some washers and maybe some closed-cell foam insulation sitting in the garage. That might help, and it's free...a big plus at the moment.
  15. GS-A-Day

GS-A-Day Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly, the rattle came from some heat shield on the lower exhaust. On my 2014, they replaced a piece of the exhaust on warranty and the rattle went away.
    soldierguy likes this.
  16. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    And my rattle on the 2015 was not this heat shield.
    soldierguy likes this.
  17. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    It sits flush and abuts it- Dunno if what your thinking could work- been awhile since that plastic was cut out. Good Luck!
  18. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    Sort of an update on the raspy buzz. I played around with things on the fairing and radiator, adding insulating foam tape to possible sources, and no change. That makes sense to me, because the sound is clearly a metallic sound, and all the fairing stuff is plastic. The exhaust springs near the muffler made no change either. This past Sunday I stopped by the Re-Cycle garage in Santa Cruz and talked for a while with Miss Emma (if you've listened to the Motorcycles & Misfits podcast, that sentence will make sense). Miss Emma lives local to me, she's a great resource of motorcycle knowledge, and a fantastic mechanic as well. She seems to think that the buzz is in the catalytic converter, something that I've been thinking as well. So I found a clean, used, inexpensive, low mileage header pipe and cat on e-bay and ordered it. When that arrives, I'll replace that and the oxygen sensor, and the install process will require loosening the radiator, so I can re-check everything up front and any likely sources of the noise.

Some may be wondering why I don't just get a full aftermarket exhaust system and be done with it. I'd prefer to keep the bike emissions legal, and besides...the cost of the used unit and new O2 sensor was FAR less than an aftermarket catless header pipe.

Even with the raspy buzz, I still love the bike!
    bozmotodual16, cgguy09 and DantesDame like this.
  19. OneEyedJack

OneEyedJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was doing some maintenance on my bike yesterday and had the left and right fairing covers off. Just happened to notice that both of my lower radiator mounts where not completely in their supports and one had even pushed the rubber bushing out. Easy to correct and I didn't experience anything bad but you may want to check all four of your radiator mounting points.

Also, when my bike had the stock exhaust can I would occasionally hear and feel a strange noise/vib when accelerating from a stop. It was most noticeable while accelerating and turning from a stop for some reason. Never bothered me, it was something I just made note of. After installing an Akrapovic can it went away. I suppose it was packing or something in my stock can vibrating at certain RPMS and load. FWIW, my bike is a 2013 F800GS and had about 15K on it when I changed to the Akra. I don't think there is anything special about the Akra that fixed my problem, I just think my stock can had (or developed) a problem.
    soldierguy likes this.
  20. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip about the radiator mounts...I'll definitely check those. This weekend I'm pulling the upper crash bars and the fairings off so I can install the used header pipe and cat, and I need to clean the bike since it got filthy over the weekend riding in the rain on some back roads & farm roads with lots of dirt & mud spread across them.

If the new/used header pipe doesn't fix the buzz, I'm planning on getting an Akra exhaust can anyway, and thinking about the AFXIED fuel controller.