New F800GS... mine!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by mikewillsmith, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mikewillsmith

mikewillsmith Not the f'g fresh prince!

Oddometer:
    So after way too much internet research, I went and did it. I bought a new F800GS. I just had to share the info.:D I was on the fence between a 08 KTM 990 Adv. and a 09 F800GS (as with the difference in years they were basically the same price). I searched all the threads, read everything I could, lurked, searched, listened to the insane battles of wills on the forums about what bike was better (that never yielded much info. for me) and generally over thought the entire thing. I got worried about seat height (I have a 30" inseam) and this that the other. After riding both bikes I agree with what most rational folks say about the debates between these. The 30" inseam is absolutely no issue on the F800GS by the way. You can't flat foot boot sides or anything, but it does not seem top heavy or any trouble at all after riding it with my short legs. Loved the KTM, but the question of repairs was always in my mind (the KTM dealer is 4 hours away where the BMW is 1) and in the end the kicker came yesterday when I went to another KTM dealer while on a road-trip. They didn't have any 990s new, but they had one in the shop. The salesman took me back into the service area to show me the bike and calmly stated something like, "The guy loves it, uses it as his city bike. It is here for its 8000 mile engine work." This bike was almost completely apart, head off, etc etc. and he said that like it was "normal" and that flipped the switch... I want a BMW. I don't want my motor apart at 8K miles! Now before you flame away I have had a BMW since 2001 and it has never needed anything other than routine stuff and hasn't come close to needing a partial engine tear down. I'm sure there are KTM owners that have zero issues and I love that bike, but it just wasn't for me.
    Anyway, I just wanted to share after lurking so long and being so on the fence about the 2 bikes in hopes it might help someone in the same position.
    I'll post pics of the bikes once I pick it up. They are changing the tires and getting it ready for me now.
    Time for the customizing to begin!:D
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Here's hoping you get some decent riding weather soon. I guarantee you that you're going enjoy riding that beast.

And remember, we BMW riders are snobbish, slavishly worshipful of the marque, disdainful of anyone's else choice, and never wave at anyone.

Or so I've been told here many times. :rolleyes

David
  3. mikewillsmith

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. I loved the KTM, well more like lusted over the KTM. In the end the KTM/BMW debate for me was like cars... I have a buddy with a Ferrari. Seriously fast car, but he just had an "engine out" service at 15K miles and it cost him plenty. I have a Mustang with a blower that is plenty quick and I won't need an "engine out" service until I hit over 100K miles... or put too much boost into the engine.
    :D
    Funny... the only bikes that never wave to me are Harley riders who aren't wearing helmets. Everyone else waves and I wave back.:D :D
  4. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 Pokey

Oddometer:
    Ttiwwop
  5. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I think you'd have been happy with either one. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Gratz on the new toy. They're a heck of a lot of fun to ride.
  6. mikewillsmith

Oddometer:
    Its still at the dealership awaiting new tires.

Pix as soon I get it home.:D
  7. mikewillsmith

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    I agree. It was a very hard choice for me. I basically had to factor in a few things and just jump. I wanted to buy a bike before the dealers around here got "Spring" prices going (aka... no deals, like there are in the dead of winter).
    I'll miss my F650GS, but it was time for something new.
  8. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    Good thing you stayed on the dark side and did not become a cheeto! Us snobs need to stay together...:lol3

So whats the first farkle/mod?
  9. mikewillsmith

Oddometer:
    Yes, my BMW tattoo in that "special place" can remain, and I can now still snub all others. :rofl :rofl

First mod was to ditch the tires for dual duty tires and next will be to get a skid plate to cover the dangling bits (exhaust/ oil filter), then all the usuals.

Hope to have it all set up for a trip into Labrador this summer.:D

Now if all this snow would just go away....
  10. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa Palanquins RTW

Oddometer:
    I adore KTMs, but 'ready to race' also means 'highly strung' imho.

The service costs on the BMW 800 motor are cheaper than on the old 650 single-cyclinder, and they are at 6k intervals.

In terms of total cost of ownership, that would sway me. If money were no object I'd go orange (especially for the new SMT).
  11. Repko

Repko Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer:
    Bravo!

Same thing same way for me. Both great bikes. Don't need the tear down for the valve adjustment on 2 heads. One is much better. I too will try to venture the F800Gs soon
  12. mikewillsmith

Oddometer:

One post I read compared the KTM to a hot girl... you know it is going to cause you trouble... but she is just so hot!!!

Manchester UK eh, my wife is from around there and used to work in Manchester before I "imported" her to the US. Small world.
  13. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

twirahye$^@th....huh?:huh
  14. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    Congrats. I didn't know the Adventures required that much maintance. I was set to get a F800GS but saw a KTM Super Enduro at the bike show. After lusting over it and seeing a few left over Adventures at the KTM dealer I am torn between the three. Sounds like I need to research the KTM more. I know the BMW would be the better bike for me but the SE looks so cool.
  15. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    This thread is worthless without pics.
  16. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa Palanquins RTW

Oddometer:
    :wave to your wife. Shoot me a PM if you two ever fly back for a beer.