New Ferry or Here We Go Again

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Vin, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    WE'VE BEEN HERE BEFORE - LET'S HOPE THIS ONE WORKS OUT.

Colombia and Panama since October will be connected through a ferryEfe | Panama | Posted on August 22, 2014

Colombia and Panama will be connected from this October through a ferry, which cover the sea route between Cartagena and Colon, said Friday the general manager of the tour company Colón 2000, Augusto Terracina.

"We want to connect the Americas and increase trade between the two continents through this route, which currently is only performed with carriage of cruise and cargo," said Efe Terracina.

He said that the ferry will begin commercial service on October 24, can accommodate 1,500 people, 500 cars and 100 containers of 40 feet, plus special facilities for pets.

Terracina explained that the journey between the two Caribbean cities will register between Monday and Thursday, as Friday to Sunday cruise from Colon (Panama) to the province of Bocas del Toro is performed.

The project will not only sightseeing trips but also make large purchases that may be carried in containers from ferry.

The cost of the voyage on deck, which lasts about 18 hours, will be $ 99 each way, and cabins for one, two, three and four with prices starting at $ 140 will be offered in both the cruise will cost $ 277.

Said the company has met with Panamanian authorities and soon will do with the Colombian, with intent to comply with immigration, customs, narcotics, police and quarantine procedures.

According to a press release from the company, it is estimated that the Colón ferry could bring an estimated 100,000 tourists annually South Americans and 40,000 people to Bocas del Toro year.

The first ferry crossings between ports of Colon and Cartagena to promote trade and tourism in both countries were recorded between 1994 and 1997, but did not have the desired success by several factors.
  2. TeeVee

TeeVee His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer:
  3. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the latest;

Sorry - Disculpa - Entschuldigung.
    We had to accept, that we do not get a dock at Cartagena to load Cars and Passengers- so we have to do our service from Coveñas and until we have an O.K. from Bogotá we are not permitted to operate. We expect this permits soon, so we can operate as from January. We go on Wednesday 18th from Cartagena and can take people and bikes along.
    Thanks for your help, sorry for inconvenience,

Seasons greetings, Fritz
  4. Mainecoons

Mainecoons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great idea, leave it to government to screw it up.
  5. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The government's not screwing it up: Fritz is (very reliably, consistent with all his previous history) screwing it up. It's a hair brained concept, and his feeble attempts at execution are delusional at best.

*Note: opinions are mine, and mine alone. Other perspectives are welcome...although mine has the distinct advantage of being congruent with consensual reality.
  6. TeeVee

Oddometer:
  7. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well. I saw the disculpame pasted above and assumed this involved the same Fritz. No?

If my reflexive rant was off target.....Sorry - Disculpa - Entschuldigung.

Mark
  8. TeeVee

Oddometer:
    wasn't directing my post at you, mark. :evil
  9. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like dude has the money to process all the permits. Bring all the correct partners on board and establish monetary relations in the community! I am sure both countries have finally grasped the economic potential of opening this route up. Sounds like there might be a chance this time!:lol3:lol3
  10. Gabeslaw

Gabeslaw Take the Challenge Ignore the Assholes! Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine and i are going to attempt to break the speed record on an American V-Twin motorcycle from Tierra Del Fuego to Deadhorse Alaska leaving Argentina in the beginning of May 2015. I was planning on this "rust bucket" to be operational by May but its reputation is not reassuring. Can anyone share alternatives if they cant get their act together by then?

Any intel on the ship taking MC from Coveñas to Panama and how long the trip is> Time is of the essence and boxing my bike to ship is out of the question since its too long in time.

[​IMG]
  11. ternus

ternus Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a semi-legit-looking website!

http://www.ferryxpress.net

$99 for a seat, +$180 for a motorcycle. $155 for an interior cabin (per person). Looks like a ~cruise ship.
  12. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    What could go wrong.
  13. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:

It does look legit. The English PDF file is quite useless. Can any of you Spanish speakers out there give us a review of the site? Has anyone actually used this service?
    I'd prefer the small private ships, but this would be a great backup plan is money or time was running short.
  14. Chiriqui Charlie

Oddometer:
    What the heck difference does it make how great the site looks, if there is no boat??
  15. TeeVee

Oddometer:
    there is no boat. it's a ship. and a damn big one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7-aS5pO_pM

this is not some messed up attempt by fritz, ex of the sunken cat, on a rusty bucket of crap. this is a well thought out, obviously well financed organization that is gonna at least start.

my money is on it at least starting. now, whether there is enough demand to support a ship that big is a different story altogether.
  16. Chiriqui Charlie

Oddometer:
    1) In my Navy days, we called vessels this size "boats"

2) I didn't imply that the boat does not exist, just that it does not yet exist to legally take passengers across the Gap.

3) I am praying that Fritz is able to get the problems ironed out, I dream of getting to Colombia, and this looks like my only option!
  17. TeeVee

Oddometer:
    this "boat" has nothing to do with fritz. you can always take the "rat"
  18. Chiriqui Charlie

Oddometer:
    I don't understand what you are getting at, TV. This Ferry Boat is Fritz's project, and the price is just a fraction of what passage for man and bike costs on the Rat. I could possibly swing it, but couldn't afford Ludwig's rate. So I am really pulling for him to be able to get the government permissions.
  19. TeeVee

Oddometer:
    geez folks, all you have to do is click on the links that are posted early in this thread. clearly not fritz' boat.
  20. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks good! The first inmate to cross on the ferry be sure to get plenty of pictures of the food being served!:lol3