New Ferry or Here We Go Again

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Vin, Aug 25, 2014.

1. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I do not officially speak for Stahlratte but they answered similar question I had about this. Really, all you need to do is pay a deposit when you secure your slot for sailing over to Colombia and the 1 year membership is include in that deposit. The remaining balance is due at time of when you sail. I hope that help? If I am incorrect, Stahlratte can explain to you.
  2. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience crossing Colombia to Panama with a bike? Almost every RR I see talks about going the other direction and having a full boat with reservations made months in advance. Then riders tend to ship home from Santiago or Buenos Aires.
    I'd think the northerly crossing would be less in demand. Anyone with experience who can confirm or debunk? (I could inquire directly from Cap'n Ludwig, but inmate chatter is usually more interesting and insightful).
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's true most riders start their trip from north to south and it is rare to see riders starting from south to north. I don't know if it will make any difference with price but it would be a good idea to inquire with Ludwig directly or PM Stahlratte.

For some reason, I have a feeling ThrottleMeister could be doing what you are wondering.. I think he plan to cross from Colombia to Panama?? Look up his RR here and you could ask him what he plan to do in regard to that?
  4. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I flew my bike southward and took the Stahlratte northward. I was one of just two riders on that Stahlratte trip, but I had reserved my bunk several weeks in advance in order to edge out the backpackers. There were also two couples who'd shipped 4x4s in containers and chose the Stahlratte for its obvious advantages over flying to Panama. It's definitely easier in that direction.

The same used to be true of Girag flights--cheaper and easier leaving northward than southward.

YMMV.

Mark
  5. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    Mark - I figured that would be the case, but thanks for the confirmation. How did you get your bike south in the first place?
  6. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I airfreighted my bike on Copa, which later reportedly stopped flying bikes. They charged far less than Girag at the time--I checked both. If there's a real need, someone will pop up and try to provide it. Making specific plans 6 months in advance of a trip seems to me somewhat a waste of energy.

Like the ferries, everything is endlessly variable from day to day and week to week. For example, I missed the discount airline which until a week or two prior had been flying passengers to Colombia for a third what the big operators had been charging. But I got a reasonable deal on my ticket 8 hours before flight time by schmoozing the airline workers in some back alley upstairs at the airport.

I did't prepare anything in advance--just showed up and had my bike and self in Bogota within 36 hours. The process wasn't difficult. It all took about a half-day on the ground, mostly consisting of waiting around listlessly. I made sure to check the bike out at the little aduana shack at the entrance to the cargo area of the airport--this turned out to be important 8 months later when I returned to Panama. In other words, no matter what you do you need to think it through carefully. Just because someone tells you how things work or what not to bother with doesn't mean you need to follow their advice.

Just my personal experience--doesn't necessarily resemble that of anyone else.

Mark
  7. mardar

mardar Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    This should be good. :lol3

So, $830USD for moto & rider.
  9. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At these prices, you might as well fly! And there is no info as to whether it will be able to actually dock so you can drive on and off.
  10. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Not sure about Fritz but he need to check the spelling of Colombia.. not sure how his price will give edge over Stahlratte at this time. Did not mention if it includes custom/immigration paperwork, which is included with Stahlratte. Will be interesting to see what happen with his ferry business..
  11. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    His projected 24 hour cruise time is competitive with Stahlratte. Paperwork is a
    great question. I expect I'd prefer RORO service to crating, etc., but at Fritz's prices he's gonna need to provide top notch service.
  12. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    I agree.. I think the last time I read review about his ferry service, it wasn't good. Bathroom was horrible, meals weren't good, and he was having difficult on finding place to unload motorcycles it was taking longer than expected arrival time there were not many happy camper on his ferry although the price was $600. I hope that his service will be better for extra price.

I'll email him about paperwork being included or not.. Not hurt to ask.
  13. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fritz is offering up to 30% discount when 7 vehicles group together to buy tickets. On the "Overland Sphere" facebook page, they are putting people together so they can get the discount. I'm crossing in November and I'm hoping for $700 for me and the bike.
  14. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Sorry to say but as of today, Fritz has announced his ferry dead. He was not able to get Colombia government to work with him unloading/loading vehicle/bike. Stated that it is government who is supporting airline and contain shipper. I guess it is back to Stahlratte as a option and it has been my plan all along anyway.
  15. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    rtw Steph Jeavons is due to make the crossing soon south to north, coming up through Colombia now, think she's partying in Cali this week. She's pretty organized. Not sure what her adv handle is, I'll drop her a line.
  16. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ferry folded. Shocker.

I'll buy a taco for the first person to cross the gap like this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    This video is popping up everywhere. I even saw it on the news this morning.

I bet you could strap a GS to the middle of a big Cayuko and fashion a paddle wheel to the final drive. If the sea isn't too rough, I bet you could do it.
  18. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been crossed countless times, by numerous vehicles. At this point, the terrain, while challenging, isn't the biggest obstacle. Politics and armed rebel groups go a long way to keep people from wandering around in those parts.

MV
  19. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    It's been crossed by countless vehicles? Are you high?

It is not drivable. Not by any vehicle. The "crossings" were publicity stunts funded by mega corporations and each "crossing" was more a feat of willpower and winches than actually driving.

There is no road. There are a few Indian paths between the rivers. The rivers have no bridges. Where there aren't rivers, it's mostly forest, jungle, or swamp.
  20. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Would like to see something on this claim. Vid? Documentary? News article?