New Ferry or Here We Go Again

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Vin, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, maybe countless is an exaggeration, but it's been done. Some by groups with sponsorship, and some just by people who like the challenge. Yes, you have to use boats for some areas. Crossing it by motorcycle is certainly possible. Yes, it would take a skilled rider on the right bike, but in comparison to riding across the ocean with skis and a paddle tire? I'd say that is a challenge as well.

In any case, I'm not advising anyone to do it. And I know I certainly wouldn't be able to, but it has been done.

MV
  2. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's out there. Here are a couple:

http://www.motivation-tools.com/adventures/darien_gap.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Obsessions-Die-Hard-Motorcycling-American/dp/188431306X

Same guy, he did it twice.

Again, I'd never say it was easy, or that I could do it. Just that it has been done, by bike, by Jeep, by car. Some of the lengths they go to are amazing, but if you want it bad enough...

MV
  3. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I've read about these before. And the Corvairs (I have the old National Geographic magazine with the story). And the Land Rovers. And a few other nutjobs.

In all the crossings, they spent an awful lot of time on boats.

You can not say they crossed BY vehicle, but you can say they crossed WITH a vehicle.

If you don't believe me, just go there and look at it for yourself. 50 years ago, when the Corvairs did it, it was very, very rough from just east of Tocumen, all the way to Colombia. That was some hardcore shit. Now, in 2015, you can drive any kind of car that you want all the way to Yavisa. From Yavisa to Colombia is only about 10 miles. But it might as well be 1000 miles because it's just... impossible. You could cross it WITH a vehicle, but you can not cross it BY vehicle.
  4. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    Helge Pedersen was the first to cross it, many years ago when he went on his 10 year odyssey. He says he dragged it a fair bit.
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try to limit your comments to matters you know something about. Suggesting you can just wing it across the Darien Gap is pretty irresponsible.
    bananaman likes this.
  7. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:

I suggested no such thing, in fact, I mentioned a couple of times that I wouldn't advise it, nor be able to do it myself. Just saying, it's been done. Anyone doing it now wouldn't be the first. As far as suggesting goes? I think the idea of riding the bike across the ocean was mentioned just before one of my posts, I'm going to go ahead and say that sounds like a bad idea as well.

MV
  8. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Difficulty and security situation aside, bikes have come along way since the last documented crossings. A modern trials bike with a big tank would make this kind of endeavor a lot easiER (still not easy) than it would've been 20 years ago.
  9. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I still disagree.

Rivers and swamps?

Starting in Yavisa, there's no bridge over the river east of town.

You're going to end up on a boat for 3/4 of the distance. You'll ride the foot paths about 1/4 of the time you're on land. The rest of the time you're on land, you'll be pushing, pulling, dragging, lifting, hoisting, and lowering.

If it's not raining. Or 100 degrees. When it rains, the foot paths turn into slimy rivers. When it rains, the little creeks turn into raging rivers. The rivers, when it rains, will flow like the Mississippi. I've seen this in Yavisa. I didn't even know there was a river west of town. North of the road. All of a sudden the whole place was flooded.

Here are a few pics from a landrover trip I did in 2011.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the boats you'll take.

[​IMG]

Somewhere I have pics of the Embera, Wounan, and Kuna who might eat you. And of the Panama Special Forces from whom you'll need permission. I've never been to the Colombia side, but I've met gold prospectors who have. Those gold prospectors... some of them don't live long, and nobody cares.

I totally recommend going to Yavisa. I think it's a more interesting experience than going to San Blas.

Once you're in Yavisa you can decide if you want to try to continue. When you look at a map, it doesn't look that bad. It's been a while since we've had a Cruthas type do a mad crossing.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the urging of Bananaman I am posting a photo of the latest ferry..jajaja I built Yaviza over a 3 year period and launched in 2010, it is a Bolger Chebacco Cat Yawl.
    How many bikes could I fit on it? Probably just John Downs 250.
    I was wondering about the spelling of Yaviza and thought I had the wrong spelling on the registration.
    [​IMG]
  11. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda ignorant about these kinds of boats. So I ask seriously: could it sail from Porto Bello to a safe port in Colombia?
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is designed for protected waters but has been proven in large waves on the west coast(Georgia Strait) Anything is possible given a weather window and smart choices.
    bananaman likes this.
  13. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
  14. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Calgarian. You go to Stampede this year?
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be displaying Yaviza at the Vancouver wooden boat show at Granville Island from August 27/30.
    Drop by for a visit, I am living aboard.
    OK Lucinda and bananaman like this.
  16. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    Wish I could but currently on the wrong side of the world. Looks like a beautiful boat. Is it technically a yawl, with the aft mast behind the helm?
  17. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

It looks even better out on the water then back in your garage at Marbel Lake !!
    Buenos tiempos,buenos recuerdos...
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Julio
    There is a builder of this style of boat in Chile, I plan to talk to him when I get down there.
  19. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone give and update on the ferry? Is it still running? Price? Etc
  20. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    If you read the whole thread, you would have your own answer.. ferry is dead!