New, FI, Air Cooled Honda CRF250F

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by FoggRider, Nov 3, 2018.

1. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode a 230F for the first time the other day and while it was quite a drastic step from my orange 350, it was still fun and I can appreciate it for what it is. As I’m looking to get my wife into the sport as well, I’m going to be taking a pretty hard look at these things in the near future.
  2. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want one. Its lighter then my 250l and has bigger wheels then my 150f had. Couldn't find a 230f near me I guess this is why. There is no need for a six speed on a trail bike. An enduro or daulsport may be. In actual trails not fire/logging roads I rarely get past 3rd gear. I had enough shoulder tackling trees in the woods.
    NS1965 likes this.
  3. Fishfund

Fishfund Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been waiting for the updated version of the 230F. I am very excited. I currently ride a 2007 CRF230F with a big old Fisher seat, a license plate and wolfman enduro bags. It's a fantastic exploring bike, and that's what I do with it. I take it down in the deep valleys and gorges in Eastern Tennessee and can always manage to bring it back home at the end of the ride. Very low maintenance. When I ride with the orange guys they are very skeptical at first, but at the end of the day complimenting me and sometimes not able to retrace my tracks. A little bump in displacement and F.I. and a disk brake are very exciting for me. A little bummer they added some 16 pounds, but whatever. I'm going to buy one.
    kwb377, Dewtwo, Pabloelloco18 and 3 others like this.
  4. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    And of course the whole world rides the same way you do, and in the same conditions.
  5. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    265 pounds wet, that is a step in the right direction!
  6. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are trail bikes for trails for people like me there are enduros (a lot more of them) for faster riders. Daul sports are available both ways now.
  7. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    My wife has a CRF230L, factory street legal, front and rear discs, steel gas tank, with a wet weight of 267 pounds. That's only two pounds more than this CRF250F without so much as a headlight. Are the wheels steel rather than aluminum? Does it carry ballast for more stabiliteez??
  8. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    On paper it is a bit heavier than the CRF230F. It is really more XR250 size/weight.

Really seems like a cheapified XR rather than a proper replacement for the old 230.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  9. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rotella?
    xjnewfie likes this.
  10. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    Its an XR250 replacement, which was a way better bike than the 230. The 230 was killed off and that is most proper.
  11. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    the 230 was based off the 200. Different bike for different rider/terrain. The CRF250 was the XR "replacement"

Nobody has made a true successor to the XR250. This bike falls short. (on paper.)
  12. bmw318tech

bmw318tech Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You would be surprised how fast that bike could go with suspension work and a heavy right hand. Call me back when you can hold your YZ/KX/SX/XC 250 on the stop all day.
  13. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like this bike. Air cooled, 4-valve, single cam---and it looks to be without the unnecessarily complicated RFVC rocker arm arrangement. Sweet.
    FoggRider likes this.
  14. memopad

memopad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd get one if it was full size. All the fun lower power trail bikes are built on miniature frames and it pisses me off.
    North ride likes this.
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    I've ridden behind 25YO xr250s in the woods that flat hauled ass with the right rider, the motor is capable. It just doesn't have the HP for big climbs or deep sand. Gear it for the terrain, throw in a lithium battery and a lighter silencer and it'd be a great starting point for someone wanted to develop single track skills.
    fatneck, rufus, oldoval and 4 others like this.
  16. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider!

Oddometer:
    Long story short, I was doing a hare scrambles in central Illinois in the mid 90's. About 150 riders.
    Raining, tight course, lots of roots, slime and standing water.
    Two of my buddies smart enough to be riding a KDX200 and RMX250.
    I brought my Husaberg 501, another friend, KX500, another, YZ490!!!!...
    Us guys on the big bores didn't even finish the race, got tired of the wrestling match, and the KX rider was a Missouri series champ! ... (less than half of the entries finished)
    Anyway, the over all winner was an older well worn XR 250.
    We laughed all the way home ....
    I was kinda sick about having recently spent about 6 times more $ on that Berg than that winning XR250 was worth!...lol
    I'm eyeballing this thing as a beautiful trail bike....
    FoggRider, bmw318tech and Bultaco206 like this.
  17. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have twin 8 year old granddaughters that are just shy of 5 feet tall with long legs. I bought them CRF110s just this year and they are quickly outgrowing them...what should I buy them next, a KTM 350??? Ah, maybe this bike might be a suitable transition. Thank you Honda. 2181788E-F443-4AC5-9A15-D4E1BBCF39A1.jpeg
    dirt hokie, FoggRider and Bitingdog like this.
  18. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like a great option for some that like less is more. A lighting kit or street legal version would be nice.
    FoggRider likes this.
  19. Onederer

Onederer Crunch Nugget

Oddometer:
    At the bottom of your glass, staring back
    It's electric start. Meaning there won't be a problem putting a low power LED on it. Not something to turn night into day, just something to get out of the woods if caught out past dark. Most people could fab that up themselves for <$50 with a handle bar light mount and an inexpensive LED aux light.

Street legal version? Meh. Good knobbies are too expensive to just burn up on pavement when I can haul it with the truck I already have. I'm not enchanted by a dirt bike with a tag anymore, it's just more money going out that could be spent on something else when I have the capability to haul it. Besides, people with a family that rides aren't necessarily going to tag and insure a whole fleet of bikes they'll all ride together on, the more reasonable thing is to haul them.

Riding used to be a family thing, not just the husband going out on his own bike to ride with his friends. Remember the XR line? There used to be a whole group of good trail bikes to suit the entire family, not some kids bikes straight to full blown MX bikes, leaving a huge gap between. I mean, how cool is it when the whole family is out riding. This new bike seems like a step in the right direction.

Anyway, it's cool to see so much positive interest in it. I think Honda made a huge step in the right direction for the US market.
  20. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    I have a similar story about a ride in hatfield mccoy. 8 of us on 200-250-300 ktms and a coulple of 4strk mx bikes and one lowly XR250R. It started pouring out and we couldnt hang with the bastard on that honda. Prior to that we were roosting his ass off.
    Dewtwo, Bitingdog and Bultaco206 like this.