New, FI, Air Cooled Honda CRF250F

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by FoggRider, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    29-31 hp out of a XL250R? That is impressive.

I know there is a way to calculate frontal area and wind drag, then extrapolate that into the amount of power to go a certain speed. 100+ mph is going to require a good amount of power.

I think the bike that this thread is about is well shy of that number.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That 250 Hercules was an air cooled 250 two stroke and to be competitive in the ISDE back then they needed to be able to top out fast, since a speed test was included. Some of the small bores had eight speeds. I actually never said the CRF would do triple digit, but a 7 speed would give it a lot more range.

The thing is I actually rode a 7 speed and know what it's like. Have you? Speculate all you want, but the fact is it was geared for virtually any single track trail that can be ridden and also be able to leave that trail and cruise at 75-80 mph with a bit more to spare. I would say if a WR had a seven speed it could very likely do that.

Whether you would want it is beside the point, a fair number of us would like to be able to gear down serious, yet still be able to hit the freeway comfortably at 70 with a bit more to go. I ran a 13/47 on my 250 and it was perfect off road, but I also ran a 15/38 and it would cruise 70 mph. I'd love to have both in one gear box with one sprocket set. I've been there and done that, I'd take a 7 speed in a heart beat.

Like I said, wishful thinking. One other cool thing would be if Honda stuck a dual range on the bike. If you ever rode the dual range Big Red ATV you'd get it. That thing could pull stumps in low range, but only topped out at maybe 30 or so. High range gave it probably upwards of 50 mph or more. Not that you wanted to go that fast with those bouncy tires.
  3. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    I have ridden a hundred or so 7 speed bikes. 6 is better.
  4. markk53

Oddometer:
    Your opinion. I have mine. A shame everyone can't find out for themselves.

A hundred? I'm impressed, you are fortunate. What ones? You must be darn near as old as me. Even being in a dealership in the 80s and riding from 1970 to date I've actually only come across that one. They were rare as hen's teeth back then. Pretty amazing to actually get to ride hundreds of them. Back then a six speed was rare.
  5. Dsharp

Dsharp Off road

Oddometer:
    Wow! The first person I've seen who knows what a Hercules is (was). As a kid, I traded my Yamaha in for one, 250GS, to a local bike shop that had them on sale at blow out prices. I had no idea what it was at the time, just knew that I was getting a new dirt bike for a great price. This was back in 80', I believe.

I remember that I was a bit disappointed the first few times that I rode it, because it had a very different feel from the yz250 that I was used to riding. But as it broke in, I quickly realized that the bike would flat out haul ass on the trail and pretty much any terrain. Though they weren't technically street legal, they did come stock with lights and a speedometer, typical of European enduros. I found an old license plate from one of my previous bikes and duct taped it to the rear fender. Wala! It was dual sport. The local cops never bothered me. And yes, that 7th gear came in very handy on the road, with a 1st that was lower than walking speed.

In retrospect, I had more fun on that bike than probably any other I've owned. Long story short, my current bike is a Beta. I guess some things never change...
  6. markk53

Oddometer:
    Cool! Another who's ridden a 7sp Hercules.
  7. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 7-speed Herc for a brief time. It came in a stash of Bultacos I bought. I cleaned up and rode it a bit. Then peddled it on to a Sachs dork that would appreciate it. I had too many of the 6-speed DKW equivalents that were hard enough to find parts for. That 7th gear was wild. But pretty unusable on much other than fairly flat highway.
    2WheelNeal and Yinzer Moto like this.
  8. markk53

Oddometer:
    You mean like the place most dual sport riders would like one more gear?

I know the Sachs gear boxes were rather touchy and, unless one knew the adjustment process, a source of a bunch of false neutrals. A friend raced one and had the gear box down pat.
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, as in wouldn’t pull it well with much grade.

I actually vintage-raced a DKW one season. Never really had the Sachs false neutral issue. I was much faster on an SL150 I had that competed in the same class. And I didn’t have to deal with the Earles forks on the Honda.
    2WheelNeal and Yinzer Moto like this.
  10. Bama67

Bama67 Cooler in real life

Oddometer:
    Anyone bought one of these yet?

Looks like a logical upgrade for my wife after the KLX140G.
    We live at 9400' and go up from there and could use some more torque.
    I vould have fun on this as well.

I currently ride a KDX200 but have always preferred 4 strokes.
    Wonder what meager hp this puts out? Haven't seen it anywhere.
  11. Hair

Hair no wants or warrants

Oddometer:
    Try selling 'entry level' to Rick.
  12. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bought, got the T-shirt, broke-in, modified, ordered $1000 worth of parts, ready for big-bore top end.

http://rickramsey.net/CRF250F.htm

Just kidding. First ride is today if it warms up enough and doesn't schnoo :wings

:ricky
    Navin, DS Hobo and Kyron like this.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    No disrespect to Rick at all. I guess my point was, for that price it's a good entry point for a new rider, they aren't getting saddled with a heavy bike that will stunt their riding development. That kind of bike is what honda has always been good at building.
    TBD2 likes this.
  14. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised it doesn't have the 250L fork, just for the looks of being a "modern" bike

Honda really must have a warehouse full of #rightsideup forks?
  15. wdsracer

wdsracer n00b

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the new bike Rick.
    AbeWhat and Jimmy the Heater like this.
  16. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really surprises me that there hasn't been more interest in this bike on here. Was just doing a search for the CRF250F to see what owners though of them and what upgrades they had done/are available and there's only like 3-4 threads here and this is the only one with more than one page.

As some others here have mentioned, it looks to be a nice replacement for the old XR250R and fills a gap in Honda's line that's been ignored since it was discontinued. A little more suspension travel would be nice, but for the type of riding it's intended for probably not necessary and the lower seat high appeals to more riders and gives less experienced riders a little more confidence.

Best I can gather from my digging online it's putting out around 23 RWHP which isn't bad at all when compared to the CRF250L and KLX250S. Saw one thread discussing recommended valve adjustment intervals and the recommended check every 1,000km which everyone thought was a bit absurd - and I agree. Then again, the old XR250R manual recommended checking the valves every 1,000km as well and those engines held up perfectly fine with infrequent checks.

Only thing I'd like to see changed is a suspension upgrade via a USD fork with adjustable compression dampening and a fully adjustable rear shock. I imagine someone will probably come out with a replacement shock for these before long (if not already), and it would be real nice if Emig Racing would come out with a fork swap kit to accept CRF/R/X forks. Then again the current Emig kit for the CRF230F might possibly also work on the CRF250F if Honda kept the frame neck geometry the same between the two models.
  17. bmw318tech

bmw318tech Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its models like this that will keep people coming back for more. A tall race bred machine is not a good starter bike. Even more advanced riders will appreciate it for what it is. Getting the suspension tailered for your weight does way more than a loud exhaust could ever do.
  18. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Goes well with the new klx230r.
    The klx has the same stupid 1.6 gallon gas tank.
    I have the legal klx230 which has 2 gallon tank.
    2 is not enough.
  19. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%,

As a fan of the old XR's I would just like to see Honda offer some adjust in the suspension right out of the crate. Not saying Honda should put full blown MX springers on the 250F, but at least put compression adjustment on the forks. The old XR250's rear shock offered both compression and rebound adjustments. Honda/Showa have also proven they can make a low cost USD fork (ala the CRF250L) but they opted for a flexy conventional fork which makes me scratch my head a little. So while the engine has been modernized on the CRF250F the suspension has taken a step or two backwards in my view. No reason Honda couldn't do both and still keep the MSRP at or slightly below $4999.

As it sits currently it's a great beginners bike, but it leaves a bit to be desired for those with some riding experience such as myself but don't want/need a full-on race bike. For $1,000 more the KLX300R will be a lot more appealing for those type riders, or those who are coming from a smaller bike and are looking to step it up a notch in terms of power and handling without having to spend $10k or more on a competition oriented bike. Downside of the KLX is the 1.6" taller seat height which will be a big negative for the vertically challenged. Honda could have easily kept the CRF230F in the line-up as the entry level/starter bike (akin to the old XR200) and upped the ante` a little more with the 250F for riders like myself.

Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and Honda will come out with a 350 or 400cc version putting out around 30-35hp with better suspension next year. I'm not gonna hold my breath though!
  20. bmw318tech

bmw318tech Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had Cogent do the magic on my Super Sherpa with 14HP. Paid more for that than what i paid for the bike. I am a 40 plus A rider at 220 lbs in Southwest PA. My other dirt bike that I race enduros with is a 15 WR250F. Unless you can ride all day on the throttle stop bigger heavier more powerful bikes are not going to be better.