New for 2010 - Holan Nomada Aluminum Alloy Panniers

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by F800 Rob, Nov 29, 2009.

1. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    For those of you who don't know - at one point in time, Holan was a manufacturer of for Touratech. Since Touratech's decision to bring production all in house a few years ago Holan has been producing hard parts for Adventure motorcycles on their own. One item that they've been producing (in conjunction with a Czech company Big Husky) is a line of aluminum panniers. The brand new Nomada case is the fourth generation pannier, and is brand new from the ground up.

[​IMG]

First and foremost, let's get some stats out of the way:

• Made By: Holan, Sp. z.o.o. - Made in Europe.
    • Made Of: 2 MM Thick Aluminum Alloy
    • Sizes: 33L, 40L, 45L
    • Imported By: Motorcycle Insight, LLC. (US, Canada, Mexico)
    • Price: $250-$300 Each. Complete Kit, ~$750.
    • Available: Dec 2009 / Jan 2010

The construction of these panniers is very straight forward. In essence, it's made from four bits of 2MM thick aluminum alloy. The first piece is bent to made 7 of the 8 sides of the panniers, a second makes the 8 (and interior most) side panel. The third makes the bottom, and the fourth makes the top.

To put that in perspective - most other panniers are constructed of individual panels for each side, and some (specifically the 'other' German brand pannier, and the 3rd Generation Holan) are made from 1.5MM thick aluminum. Minimizing the complexity, and using thicker metal makes the pannier stronger.

Additionally, Holan has selected an aluminum alloy to make these cases. This alloy was selected to increase the overall strength of the case and to minimize the potential for oxidation.

[​IMG]

The Holan pannier, both this generation and the previous one, introduced some innovative features. First and foremost of this is the octagonal shape. This completely eliminates the 'parachute' effect that is associated with regular box shaped panniers, especially at high speeds.

[​IMG]

A few things have been re-designed in this model. The most obvious item that has been updated is the lid attachment system. On the previous generation pannier, the lid was hinged on one side, and latched on the other. This generation pannier has two latches on it and the lid is completely removable. Additionally, the upgraded locks from the previous generation are now standard. (they are stainless, and have a latch that closes the key opening)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another item that has been incorporated into the updated design is a better external luggage securing system. Loops on the top have been revised, and extra loops have been added toward the bottom of the case. You'll be able to secure infrequently used and heavier items to the bottom of the pannier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Additional case protection has been incorporated as well. Black plastic corners are now included on each corner, top and bottom.

[​IMG]

Serviceability has also been improved. External items that were riveted to the case prior are now bolted on. Top loops, lid latched, locks, etc.

[​IMG]

One thing that carries over from the previous version of the case is the superior dust and waterproofing. Holan welds and/or seals each bend and has a fantastic lid system to ensure that water on the outside doesn't make it to the inside. They incorporate a high-lip design on the top of each pannier, and installed a updated (as of 2/10) rubber gasket system that seals exceptionally well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Holan also has a complete line of liners for these cases. They carry over from the previous generation cases. They're black mesh with white reflective piping, and are NOT bulky at all. They are also rather inexpensive when compared with other brands.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As of March, 2010 there are two mounting kits for panniers. The updated 'Pro' kit now installs with only 12 bolts and uses the outside of the mounting racks for optimal stability. A 'rally' kit is an optional upgrade, and adds onto the 'pro' kit buy including an extra brace for mounting on the outside of the pannier.

[​IMG]

*** UPDATE - Slight design changes for 2011 ***

New buckles, stickers, and a significantly improved lid:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    These pannier kits are on sale NOW. Each kit is pre-order priced at $750 including all bits necessary to mount them on the motorcycle. Pricing will increase once the stock is received -- estimated December 18th.

BMW F650GS / G650GS Single - $749.99
    http://holanusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201_338&products_id=628

BMW F800GS / F650GS Twin - $749.99 (unbalanced)
    http://holanusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=206_252&products_id=624

BMW F800GS / F650GS Twin - $1149.99 (balanced, including exhaust)
    http://holanusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=206_252&products_id=626

BMW R1200GS / R1200GS ADV - $749.99
    http://holanusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=205_326&products_id=627

BMW HP2 Enduro & MegaMoto - $749.99
    http://holanusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=202_339&products_id=629

BMW R1100GS / 1150GS - $749.99
    http://holanusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=204_340&products_id=633

KTM LC4 - $749.99
    http://holanusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=208&products_id=630

KTM LC8 - $749.99
    http://holanusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_341&products_id=631

Suzuki DL650 V-Strom - $749.99
    http://holanusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=211&products_id=632

Coming soon for the DL1000 V-Strom, KTM SuperEnduro, KLR 650 -08
  3. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the balanced set mounted on a F800gs would you?
  4. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    Not quite yet. We have a complete balanced set on order and expect it in very soon. As soon as it arrives, we'll have complete install documentation, pictures, and videos.
  5. Eyelo

Eyelo n00b

Oddometer:
    ETA on the DL1000 V-Strom set up?
  6. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can these be attached to SW Motech mounts?

Are topboxes going to be available?
  7. backspinnn

backspinnn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any pictures of the R1200GS setup? I am very interested.
  8. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    I wish I could justify this. It's almost enough to make me want to "lay 'er down" and break off my OEM sidecases. :deal
  9. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    The DL1000 V-Strom setup doesn't have an official ETA on it. It's on the list of priorities, and I'd imagine it being complete before the 2010 riding season starts. Keep in mind that it depends on motorcycle availability in Poland -- if a V-Strorm becomes available, we get a mount. :D

Top boxes are in active development. The mounting system has been completed and is being ported to different motorcycles. (The F800GS, R1200GS being for all intensive purposes done) I don't have dimensions yet, but I believe we'll be looking at 'large' and 'really large' sizes based upon prior products.

No pictures of them installed on an R1200GS yet. (in fact, I don't have pictures of a Gen III setup installed either) I'll work on getting something setup. If there is anyone in the Western PA area, please contact me.
  10. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    Regarding the SW-Motech mounts - The 'old' SW-Motech mounts are made of stamped steel and will never be compatible unless you are looking to direct bolt the panniers to them. The updated 'Evo' mounts have more of a pressed oval design than a standard 18mm tubing like the Touratech and Holan bars. You can either a) machine down the mounting kit to have them bolt up, or b) direct bolt them to the racks.

Beyond the quick mount feature, and potentially the broader applications, I would suggest using the Holan mounts. They're truly a world class mount, tested extensively, and in use by thousands of riders when you factor in the OEM made copies marketed as a different brand.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at these for my Tiger. Maybe, a mounting a system will become available in the future. Thanks for your knowledge.
  12. HighAlpineDrifter

HighAlpineDrifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wot? No Speed Triple? Man, there are plenty of people who'd love a Speed Triple pannier system. TT is coming out with one but you can imagine it's expensive.
  13. backspinnn

backspinnn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ordered the set for my R1200GS tonight, hope you guys come through!
  14. lwm

lwm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the over width when mounted on a 2009 r1200gs? I googled for quite a while and didn't see it.

Thanks.
  15. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    What's the lead time for cases to fit an '06 F650GS (twin spark single)?

doc
  16. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    The rack width for the R1200GS is 490-495mm depending on how you mount them. Panniers clock in at 200mm (33L) and 240mm (40L) each respectively. Basically, you're looking at 930-935MM or around 36.75".

Lead time depends on the cases ordered -- the brackets are in stock now. Out first shipment of 33L and 40L cases are on the way now. 33L cases are available from this shipment still, but all the 40L cases are spoken for.

We'll have additional stock mid month plus 45L panniers toward the end of the month.

Also - there was an issue with how we had the 650 Single bundles configured. (they had non-balanced panniers, when they needed a balanced setup) This is been corrected.
  17. pro-bassoonist

pro-bassoonist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do we have weights for these nice panniers? Including racks?

R1150GS in question for me, but I'm sure others would be interested as well.

Thanks!

18. eshaw

eshaw slow learner

Oddometer:
    How bout a set for the basterd child Buell Ulysses?

I know I can go a differant rack and mount these, but I sure do like the price of going with you for it all. :D
  19. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    Weight for the racks vary by application. For the R1200GS it's 8 lbs for the rack. The 1150GS should be about the same.

The 33L Pannier weighs around 9.5 lbs. The 40L clocks in around 10 lbs.

Unfortunately, nope, we don't have one. As far as I know, there are no plans by Holan for the creation of one.
  20. weggieman

weggieman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about Suz DR650, any plans to build mounts for them?