1. eNewsletter Sign Up

new for 2020 Klim Carlsbad jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by motoinmoab, Feb 10, 2020.

1. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got the new for 2020 Klim Carlsbad jacket. I have an older Carlsbad that I've grabbed whenever the weather is cold or the sky's threatening. It's a very good coat. But there are some features to the new one that make it a much better coat, IMO. They fixed all of my complaints.

Many reviewers have complained about the collar. Me too. The new collar works perfectly. For me. ::YMMV:: I suggest you check it out if you're interested because it fits very differently. It seals around my neck better when I want it to, and it doesn't stab me in the neck when it's opened up a bit.

The vent zippers are much better. They've used waterproof zippers instead of having flaps over the old style zips. Those flaps restricted the air flow thru the openings quite a bit. These new openings aren't huge, they don't spread themselves wide open, but they flow air much better. Like the old coat, you can reach all front and back vent's zips easily, without needing to stop and take the coat off. And the vents on the sleeves work WAAAY better! The 2 way zips open from the elbow down to the cuff, or up from the cuff to your elbow. They open wide!!!

One more big difference- both my old Carlsbad and my new one are size MED. The new one is cut much looser. I would say it's almost 1/2 size larger. It's a generous fit, much more comfortable than my old one. I think they cut it bigger because of the change from Level 1 D30 armor to Level 2 throughout.

Check one out, it's a very different coat, significant improvements. But before you ride with it, make sure you do the standard Klim break-in proceedure: pull out the armor and throw it in the dryer (on air only) with a couple tennis shoes. For an hour. Or longer.
  2. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the fabric behind the arm zips also a part of the gore laminateor otherwise sealed? I really want to like those vents, but I used to have a Firstgear Rainier with that zipper arrangement....and I always got wet. The zippers would always pucker a little bit and leak in a heavy rain, and the fabric behind it would wick the moisture all over my shirt.

Not sure if the pictures of the 'pre production' ones line up with the actual ones they're selling now.
  3. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the new stuff. Looks to me like it’s really shiny material and maybe kind of krinkly???
  4. motoinmoab

Oddometer:
    I pulled the armor out and threw the coat in the dryer for an hour, on no heat. Also tossed in a couple shoes to beat it up. That was enough to give it a nice softening. That's standard for all of the Klim clothing I've bought.
    Sonny S. and sirvelo like this.
  5. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen that some Carlsbad jackets are called the 2018 Carlsbad. Are you saying that the one you bought is new and the 2018 is referred to as the "old" Carlsbad jacket?
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There’s a brand new 2020 Carlsbad.
  7. Rock709

Rock709 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. And price increase too.
  8. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

How does the armor fit your body in the shoulders and elbows in comparison? 2020 to pre-version..

I noticed the pre-version was not a good fit for my shoulder structure..

Where do you notice that the jacket is larger in fit on the 2020? shoulders? arms? body? waist?
  9. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm bought the new Klim 2020 Carlsbad Jacket and pants. I have worn a Rukka Gortex set for 8 years and was ready for a change. I did notice how stiff and crinkly sounding the Klim set was and wondered about that. I'll try your suggestion for an air dryer tumble with some tennis shoes - and pray everything holds together. I'll just put in mine and wait on throwing my wife's new Klim Artemis jacket and pants in as well. I can deal with my sorrow but not her wrath.
    Sonny S. and ontrip like this.
  10. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    Sizing on new Klim 2020 Carlsbad is generous. I am 6 ft tall (183 cm) and 210 llbs (95.2 kg). I normally wear an XL in moto wear jackets but the Large size was perfect. I was swimming in the XL - way too big. The pants fit true to jean waist size (36).
  11. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    After looking and trying on, I'm about ready to buy a Carlsbad jacket. Is there any way to beat the $599 price tag?
  12. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    I found the same price everywhere I looked either direct from Klim or a reseller.
    Rock709 likes this.
  13. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Wha???
  14. wagley

wagley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They offer a military discount if you contact them.
    Fast1 likes this.
  15. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:

you sir, are awesome!!
    It was a pretty good discount, way better than I'd expect, and well worth the email.

You posted Wednesday, the box arrived today :rayof
    ontrip likes this.
  16. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slight discount at atomic-moto:

https://www.atomic-moto.com/products/klim-carlsbad-jacket-2020?_pos=3&_sid=606c1fb44&_ss=r

I went out and tried this jacket today. I'm a tweener between L and XL. I like it better than the Latitude I bought at a show last year. The Latitude is a better jacket but the Carlsbad fits me better. It's not as long in the torso and the collar doesn't have as large a bump on the end. Wish it had pit zips but you can't have everything at the $500-$600 price point, right? Sigh.
  17. motoinmoab

Oddometer:
    Yes there is about a 10% price increase for the new 2020 coat but you get upgraded D30 armor. The original Carlsbad had the Level 1 everywhere, the new coat has Level 2 in the shoulders, elbows, and back. That alone justifies the price increase???

We've finally had a few warm days here in Phoenix so I've had the chance to open the vents and see how it breathes. All the vents work better than the original coat, especially the sleeves. This still doesn't flow air as good as my old Held Carese II coat, but it's better than the original Carlsbad model.

The sizing is quite different, as some others have noted. The new one is a very generous fit compared to last years. The sleeves are 2" longer and the shoulders and arms are bigger / looser fitting. So for someone wanting to save money- if the old coat fits your slender body better, and the vents aren't that important, and you find one on sale, then your biggest concern might be if the Level 1 armor is enough for you?
    Fast1 likes this.
  18. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    urgent! I'm ready to order but need to know if the pant's fit true to size. I wear 36 jeans but my 53 year old beer belly is er, eh closer to a 38 now. What do y'all recommend? I've had aerostitch up to now and would go 38 as the 36 waste is too snug, esp if I want to layer under it. Thanks
  19. sirvelo

Oddometer:
    Fits true to size - go with 38
    CoatsEast likes this.
  20. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

I did not know this