new for 2020 Klim Carlsbad jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by motoinmoab, Feb 10, 2020.

1. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    Nor did I.

And I did not do it either.
  2. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did it and the jacket and pants are now a little more pliable and less crinkly feeling. No harm was done to the new jacket and pants.
  3. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is my first klim, I hope it lives up to the hype
    Sonny S. and amboss87 like this.
  4. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a grey jacket and pants. Sized up on the pants and will report back if that was a good decision (I'm in between sizes, potentially)
  5. Kostas_grig

Kostas_grig n00b

Oddometer:
    Almost everything of my jackets hoodies shirts are XL but with new carlsbad was too big.....so return and i m waiting the large..becareful before purchase
  6. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got me the new Carlsbad after I was very impressed of some dry kept american Gringos by Klim gear I met on my four week motorbike trip through Patagonia, where weather was rough for days sometimes. Before this trip I was a absolute non believer of GoreTex stuff would keep you dry in several hours/days of rain.

Its impressive how light it is compared to my Dainese SandStorm Jacket I also like a lot, but from now on I can quit fiddling arround with liners or rain coats.

I also have more flexibility moving arround, though its not broken in yet. Plenty of pockets and features already. I do not need any more jacket than this.

Only minus is there are no pockets for chest protection. Well, and I still have to get used to the orange zippers. But they match the ADVrider-forums colours, right?

D30 armour is realy smooth once it is warmed by the body, definitely less bulky than my Dainese gear before.

Appearence/Branding is also nice here in europe, I dont want to be part of the R1200GS powered NASA dressed in Touratech/BMW space suits. Fun to look at them though.

With my 1,90 I ordered size L, which seems to be very close to other Brands XL, fits me personaly very good so @Kostas_grig: L should fit you well, it`s a big L

Ergo: Clim Carlsbad, the T700 of adventure jackets.
    CoatsEast, Kostas_grig and sirvelo like this.
  7. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes agree on sizing. I am XL in all my other gear but a L in the Carlsbad jacket. Pants fit true to your Jean size.
    Kostas_grig likes this.
  8. Kostas_grig

Kostas_grig n00b

Oddometer:
    amboss 87 thanks

i m 189cm 98 kilos so if you you are ok with L i think i ll be ok too...

Nice bike (same also) ;)
  9. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I made the mistake of trying this jacket on at my Triumph dealer today. Now I want one. I think it fit me surprisingly good (every Klim jacket I’ve ever had fits me like crap to be honest). Nice features, seemingly good build quality. Tempting.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  10. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I said in my original review post, and many others are now confirming, this new Klim coat is a looser fit than their previous Carlsbad jacket. I said I think it runs about a half size larger, but others are saying it's like a full size larger. So if you're used to Klim coats fitting tight, you'll be surprised by this one.

I didn't buy the pants, we're still waiting for reports on their fit. Hey CoatsEast- we need your report.
  11. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've got a good point. I was at my local Klim dealer today and the Klim rep was there and did a demo inflating that vest.
  13. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    So weird. I usually wear a large in everything except Revit in which I wear an XL. When I tried on the Carlsbad in large yesterday I thought it fit me perfect. I’m 6’3” 210 lbs. The arms actually were long enough and didn’t think the sleeves felt baggy at all. I actually wondered if it’d be enough space in the arms for my heated liner. I wore the jacket around the dealership for like 45 minutes while hanging out.
  14. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    Eagerly awaiting delivery. Will definitely report back!
  15. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    I went back to my dealer to try the Badlands and the Carlsbad on back to back. I was mistaken earlier. The Carlsbad definitely has a roomier fit than Badlands Pro. Surprising, but true. With the current deals on Badlands being the same cost as a Carlsbad, I went Badlands. It seemed crazy not to. It was however a hard choice.
  16. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    So I sized up on the pants and they are large! I got a 38 I wear size 36 jeans. The good news is the Velcro straps will switch them down and I can wear jeans underneath them. I’m sure the 36s would’ve worked as well but would not offer a room for wearing over pants.

For a reference I’m 5’11” weig h about 203 pounds. I’m in decent shape can run / do boot camp but have a beer gut at my tender age of 53. Wow lots of personal information

The bigger issue is the sleeves on the size large jacket. I have a 33 inch arm lights in these feel more like 34/35. Definitely longer than my aerostich in the same size. Debating whether to size down on the jacket but will probably keep it as is. The sleeves at LONG!

My only complaint about the design is the large front pocket that also serves as a vent I use that pocket I guess no longer on hot days!

hope that helps

Attached Files:

Fast1 likes this.
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know motorcycle jackets are supposed to have sleeves longer than regular jackets, but why that much extra length ? Geez
    CoatsEast likes this.
  18. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    maybe he just has T-Rex arms?
    Mine fits fine. Or do I have orangutan arms :(
  19. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    I measured the sleeve length on my older Carlsbad jacket and the new one. The sleeves are 1" longer on the new one. The old one was a perfect length for my arms, the new one is extra long for my (apparently) T-Rex arms. :gdog
    CoatsEast and Sonny S. like this.
  20. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Hey OP, if you are still able to you should edit the title and add "2020", which would help with future search results.

Now I want to try my 2019 on and check the sleeves.
    CoatsEast and Kostas_grig like this.