New Ford Bronco

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Kommando, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the way it looks, much like I liked the early Broncos more than the Jeep CJs, BUT...

...Ford needs to offer a removable top version, IMO. Toyota should have done so with the FJ too.
    local1, Chillis and RustyStuff like this.
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Yea and a 2 door version!
    Chillis and panzer like this.
  3. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Expect a 2 door version. From a source inside Ford I was told "That recent concept with four doors? Don't pay attention to that".
    They are going after the Wrangler and FJ.
    My source tells me FoMoCo is pushing for more and more features on the Bronco which is why it keeps getting delayed. I personally would prefer a more bare-bones version but Ford seems to think buyers will want endless bells and whistles. Engineering is apparently having trouble trying to cram it all into a vehicle that won't be the size of an Expedition.
    BadKarma likes this.
  4. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Hard to sell an overpriced vehicle...without all the bells and whistles.
  6. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    Buy an existing bronco and swap in your engine of choice, IMO.
  7. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen another thread, but I'm hoping the Corona virus doesn't kill the economy and Ford before this gets going. Toyota messed up, IMO, by not offering the FJ Cruiser as a convertible 2dr and 4dr lineup. The Jeep Wrangler hasn't had any real competition in North America since like the Samurai, and both Toyota and Ford typically have better reliability/build than FIAT/Chrysler.

The turbo 2.3L 4cyl from the new Ranger should move the new Broncos nicely at altitude, and if they offer it with the traditional Dana44/Ford9" axles the 4dr may offer enough towing capacity (5000lb?) to even compete against the Gladiator for sales.

I hope it has a real tailgate instead of a swinggate.
  8. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's got IFS, not that there's anything wrong with that.
    I've been waiting for the new Bronco for a while and even though it wouldn't replace either
    of our current vehicles, I'm still a fan.
  9. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tailgate and flat forward folding passenger seat
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  10. john112deere

john112deere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm probably shopping for a compact 4x4 pickup, or SUV with a trailer hitch, this year...

I'm not that optimistic, but if all the best rumors are true and it's competitive with the Wrangler price-wise, I'll be looking seriously at them.
  11. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're also teasing a Bronco Sport, which should compete with the small Jeep Renegade or Cherokee. The Renegade can tow up to like 2000lb. I think the little V6 Cherokee tows over 3000lb.
  12. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I’ve seen spy pics and I like it. In a couple of years (after the Additional Dealer Markup goes away) I will seriously be considering one.
    SmittyBlackstone and Amphib like this.
  13. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Total let down, 10 years of hype for a fj with a removable top. Jeep Rubicon is going to walk all over this thing. No live axle in the front no room for any wheel articulation without a massive lift. I was hoping this was going to be some serious offroad competition for jeep but it's a mall crawler for frat boys
    Totally half assed
    The smaller version is even worse and is nothing but an explorer
    Screenshot_20200310-194524_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20200310-194450_YouTube.jpg
    Purcell69, Traxx, SKT and 2 others like this.
  14. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    IFS has its advantages...at desert running, deep mud, deep snow, deep sand. Offroading is NOT just rockcrawling. Lockers and a winch can also make up a lot for less articulation. Steering and handling for a daily driver are often better with IFS, especially if trackbar mounts aren't always properly welded for a Quadracoil live-axle setup. Most pickups these days use IFS just fine offroad.

Bigger tires can be fit with tubed/trimmed fenders and/or a 1" bodylift, and this approach generally retains a lower COG and overall height than using a suspension lift to fit tires does.

I hope the Bronco has rear coils too, like the Wrangler/Gladiator has.
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I don't like that little Escape based one at all.

The big one has potential.

Screenshot_20200310-192215~2.png

Solid front axle is better off-road, but it's exhausting to drive on pavement in the Jeep.
    OldBarKeep likes this.
  16. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Honestly I feel like Ford built a better 'new Defender 110' with this Bronco than LR did.
    squonker, ydarg, VxZeroKnots and 4 others like this.
  17. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could care less about four doors since I own two 4Runners already.

But the spy shots of the two door have me wondering what I could get for my old unicorn Ranger 4x4.

If this really is it, I love it........

nojcvuhus4nvbbvuctdr.png
    DyrWolf, BCC and Saso like this.
  18. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they will come out with a raptor version that's more offroad worthy but I was kind of let down with this revealing. Too me it looks more the part than performs the part(time will tell) but some of my best memories as a child was going out on family outings like at the creek or whatever, I come from a jeep family so my dad had his awesome jeeps and his friends had other awesome 4x4s like scouts, Broncos, fjs,etc... now a days jeep stands alone on the trails so I would like to see other more offroad bias vehicles out there. Competition is healthy
  19. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For serious off roading IFS sucks period. Not enough articulation, weak A arms, weak axles, weak tie rods, spindly steering components. I wheeled an IFS 4x4 for years dumping a lot of money to turn into a serious 4x4. I wasted my money, I must have replaced the entire front suspension on it several times due to breaking it. Swapped in a Dana 44 from an early Bronco years ago and haven't broken it yet.
    The only thing an IFS 4x4 is good for are fire roads and malls. The H2 in the video isn't even on a serious trail.
  20. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IFS works pretty well in my environment of mud and sand. I don't care at all about articulation. But I do care about center clearance. Having the front not drag a differential will often pull the rear pumpkin through a mud hole.

I'm generally trying to get somewhere for work not seeing what I can make the truck do. So, after a solid front axle Bronco, CJ5 and Cherokee plus IFS on four 4Runners, a Ranger and a Taco, I am cool with either one but prefer IFS.

That new two door sure looks like it nailed the proportions and style of my 66 Bronco. But hopefully without the vacuum wipers, three on the tree, drum brakes or manual hubs. A liitle more power than a 170 inline six would also be a plus.

Fucking vacuum wipers, I hadn't thought about how bad those were in years. :lol3
    PoundSand, dlearl476, Uke and 5 others like this.