New front end for my Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Australia' started by atgreg, Jul 5, 2005.

1. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

just scored myself a front end ( forks, clamps, axle ) from a 99 KTM 660 Rallye. 50mm conventional whitepowers for $400. They should go nicely on the front of my Africa twin. It'll probably take a while to get it all sorted and save the $$ for a wheel, brakes etc.

Greg
  2. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a pretty good deal Greg. Hopefully they bolt up without too many hassles :thumb
  3. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, fitting them will be interesting. I dont know yet what will be involved. Hopefully I can get away with just chasing different size bearings but that would be lucky, more than likely I will have to have a steering stem made and pressed into the KTM clamps so that they fit the AT steering head, then comes wheel and brake selection, not sure about that yet but I will be going from the AT's Twin discs to a single disc so will go for a BIG one about 330mm. Anyway I probably wont do anything about fitting them till next year sometime for budgetary reasons, I really shouldn't have bought them but they were such a good deal I couldn't pass them up, wreckers have quoted me $1200 for a similar setup. They were on ebay and got not one single bid I was very surprised and I didn't bid as I thought they'd go for heaps more, I contacted the guy and we did a deal privately.

Greg
  4. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    Greg,

I emailed Chappo day before Yesterday, he said he had a guy interested. Perry and I both watched the auction with interest. Once I talked myself into it, I contacted him but tooo late.

I had planned another BM Conversion. I am glad someone I know got the front end. Fantastic value. As I told you before, the USD front end on my G/S was about $1K, no modification required, bolt on using original wheel and brakes.

Paul Rooney maybe able to help you, I was at his place last weekend before the flood. I dropped my G/S of to get the swingarm lengthened 100mm. It didn't get wet thank F**k. He may be able to provide you with some good advice.

I hope you have it completed for next years OCR. I plan a run from East to West points (Byron - West)

I wish you luck mate.

Mick
  5. Speedzter

Speedzter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greg

When are you picking up the 660 frame/engine/bodywork etc. to complete the conversion ? :huh
    Only kidding , the front end should be a nice addition to the AT .

cheers
    Brendan