New "G7" H4 LED bulb with a SHIELD by GENSSI III Elite is almost there - buyer beware

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spiderman302, Mar 31, 2016.

1. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    s-l1600.jpg

This GENSSI III is an interesting bulb since it seems to be a clone of the first Philips LED bulb. It has a few issues but is good bulb for evaluation.

The main issue IMHO is that it has no fan. It uses 22 watts measured for both low and high beam. On the bench the circuit board got to 130 C at room temperature with just still convection air. The max operating spec for the LEDs is 135 C. If you can mount it where it will get air flow you might be OK but do not think about stuffing it in a box. I mounted one on one side of my ST1300, the other side has the Evitek G6 so I can test it out. if Keep it I will put a small CPU fan or salvage a fan from another H4 led that I will never use.

The second issue is who ever designed it put the twist into the two shields but got it backwards! It would be fine if you drive on the left side of the road. So I did a little filing and added a bit of aluminum tape to even out the pattern. Later I might fabricate a better shield... I like the ability to adjust the twist but they should have made the shields symmetrical. It is a little harder to mount than the G6.

(end of buyer be aware)

What I like about it is that it has 4 small leds in a row that better emulates the halogen bulb (the original Phillips used only 3 leds and it was way too expensive to test). I wanted to see how this compares to the G6 bulb. It seems to have about the same lumens as the G6 but the pattern will be different.

As I expected the Genssi III projects a thinner line on the wall compared to the Evitek. More of the light is focused on the horizon. Good cutoff. (will make DOT happy) The Evitek G6 with its slightly wider line is fantastic on a remote dark road. I think the Genssi III will be a smidgen better. But better might not be the best word since this will become more of a difference of user preference based on riding style. Gee it is great to have choices. Let the testing begin. I just got the bulb give me time to get some more data.

Now again lets keep this thread technical or philosophical (which beam pattern you like better and why). No bashing vendors please. Lets just give good usable feedback so that we can get better products and help our fellow riders. I am not a vendor, just a rider looking for the right stuff...

Cheapest link at the moment at $ 40 for a pair: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162016496792

or search for: G7 H4 Genssi III LED bulb.

enjoy the ride.
    zap2504 and tiny tiger like this.
  2. tiny tiger

tiny tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write up, I have had some concerns about the led lights. I'm not sure if other makes do the same as this one. On the eBay link you posted, it says the beam is adjustable and it was efficient enough that it doesn't need a fan. Both were my concern. I think I will try them out and give them a shot. Thank you for the find. By the way, so you run led headlights?
  3. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Yes I do run LED headlights and they are awesome. I have another thread on this site that explains the development of the H4 Led bulb.

Here is a photo of the wrong twist in the shields. the H4 halogen shield is lower on the left side and the Genssi III is lower on the right side.

H4TiltEliteIII.jpg

This will require a lot of offset to level the beam for the use on a motorcycle and this will create uneven lighting and put more light on the driver side of the road than the passenger side.
    The metal is also too close to the leds which will reflect back heat and slowly cook the leds. I did some filing to remove some of the metal close to the leds and improve the light pattern.
    more photos later...

I have sent this information to the vendor who hopefully can forward it to the OEM...
  4. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spidey senses are-a-tingling !
    I hope they listen to ya.
    Great to see the availability of choices and the competition of effectiveness (quality).
    REALLY great for us to have someone as addicted as you are to this subject and making it better. :super:thumb

GO--SPIDERMAN--GO:pynd
  5. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    I guess I am being a bit of a nitpicker.

This light bulb works pretty good right out of the box.

The differences are small but for those of you who would like to know here are my observations.

The top photo is the Evitek G6 bulb pattern on the top with a wider vertical stripe on the horizon with the two bright spots that are equal for reference.
    Photos were taken at 10 feet to show the details.

The middle photo is the G7 bulb right out of the box. The spot on the left side is bigger and brighter than the spot on the right side.
    this is caused by the asymmetrical shields that have to be twisted to make the pattern level. There is also a very small upward flare on the left.
    I expected flare to be bigger but it is hardly noticeable.

The third picture is after I did a little filing and adding a bit of aluminum tape to the shields to try to make the pattern more symmetrical.

Now compare the top and bottom pattern. The G7 (bottom) puts a thinner brighter stripe at the cut off edge. This is the "ideal" light pattern. BUT
    It is great for seeing far down the road. Which is great for flat land driving or the autobahn....

On the other hand if you are carving dark corners the fatter beam made by the G6 might better at lighting up the road close in....

This is where you have to decide which is better for your style of driving.

Both lights (g6, g7) light up the road so well that my aux lights are just not necessary!

Now I am running both lights (one on each side). With the time change and longer days I am not getting much night time riding now.
    I will get other light in later this week.

EliteG7vsg6.jpg

Here are some close up of my modifications.

ShieldMods2.jpg

If you get these lights let us know your impressions and post your light patterns....

Enjoy. The more you know the better your choices.
  6. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    I got the other light installed. Had to go out on an evening ride on some back roads. Wow what a light. The G7 really makes a nice wide pattern with a sharp cut off. I took off my gloves for a short section and checked the air flow by the heat sinks. The ST1300 has a lot of air flow inside the back of the fairing so over heating will not be a problem with out a fan. This light reminds me of my Cibie Z beam that I had on my Jeep back in the late 70's. I think I will run with these for a while.
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does going from low to high, switch off the 4 front leds and switch entirely to the 4 rears?
  8. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good question, but that would be 8 front, 8 rear. 16 total.
  9. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    The light is 20 watts lo and 20 watts high (measured). The low beam leds are off on high beam. But the high beam is bright and focused. the light is going where you want it and I have found that my aux lighting does not improve anything, the G7 is that good. I will have to go to dual 40 watt aux driving leds to put more light on the road. Remember the inverse square law, it takes 4 times more light to be twice as good....
  10. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    So far I got about 800 miles on these lights. They seem to be holding up. The few times I was out a night, I really like the beam pattern. I wonder how many of you tried these yet and what are your impressions?
  11. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, they have an H7 that matches the filament pattern of the standard H7 halogen very well. I might have to try one of these. I have been more or less happy with the cyclops I have, but if these have a better beam pattern, I would switch in a heart beat.

I just payed the taxman a fortune this week, why do you have to show up here with all these nice toys? :lol3

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ttYAAOSwJQdW8wge/s-l1600.jpg
  12. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    How do you rate this bulb against the Cyclops 3800?
  13. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    The Cyclops 3800 low beam is set above it's center line and has caused a lot of grief. I posted the correct fix for it in another thread. Get rid of the spacer and down tilt the bulb with a piece of 12 gage wire in the bottom mounting slots. If you get his latest shielded version and add this fix, and then twist it flat you will have an excellent light pattern. Not plug and play.

The G7 H4 is plug and play. The leds are right where they need to be and it creates a thinner brighter line on the horizon. I can see farther on low beam and the sides of the road are illuminated well. I am concerned about the lack of a fan but in my application [ST1300] there is plenty of air flow on the heat sink. I have the Evitek G6 H4 bulb on my DRZ since it has a fan and the beam pattern is thicker (taller) line on the horizon which seems to be better for off road... the G7 is better for on road.

This is my preference. Which is better beam pattern will be a personal choice.

I just put a full set of G7 bulbs in my Suburban 9005/9006. I was not happy with the "3800" style 9006 low beam. The G7 9006 low beam is so much better focused in my truck!
    I would guess the H7 beam pattern would be better. Let us know if you try it
  14. frogandtoad

frogandtoad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which of these (the evitek or the Genssi) would be a better option for a DR650? I'd like to find something that's "plug and play". Did you have to modify the evitek?
  15. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    The Evitek is not quite perfect. But the fix is very simple. They over compensated the twist by a few degrees. Just grab the fan and twist it so the beam is flat. I have the Evitek in my DRZ400 and 6 other DR350's. I think they use the same housing as the DR650. Since these are all trail machines the Genssi would not be any better. Look again at the top and bottom light patterns above. The top Evitek creates a fatter horizontal stripe which on a bouncy trail will give better lighting.

The Genssi has a thinner stripe which is great on a flat smooth road because it puts the concentrated light further down the road. You will have to work at the vertical adjustment to get the maximum effect. It is something that you will have to match to your riding style and the roads you are on.

If you are a trail guy go with Evitek, If you are a paved road guy the Genssi might be better. Again you can also add aux Driving and or Fog to fill in your needs.
    One is not brighter than the other. It is more where the light gets put that matters the most.
    frogandtoad likes this.
  16. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    So how many of you have tried either of these bulbs and what are your impressions?
  17. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm working on these Genssi Elite G7 bulbs (H4 style). With a nod of appreciation for your earlier reporting on them, I decided to give them a shot in my '06 FJR. They arrived yesterday and I've spent a couple hours today trying to get them installed and adjusted.

What I like so far: removable heat sink makes installation in the tight FJR nose a little bit easier. Plus, I will be able to install the rubber weather boots back on the bulbs with the heat sink off, then screw it back on outside the boots. I also find the overall quality very high. One curiosity is that neither heat sink came with a set screw; the sinks just screw off the bulb. The sinks do screw down against a wave spring washer, but I don't know if it will keep them from loosening up with engine vibrations.

I'm having a bit of a time getting them to effectively broadcast a good pattern. How in the world could the designers have reversed the shield twist?? I'm trying to rotate the bulbs in an effort to level the shields but when the shields are level, one side of the LED tower is listing down to the left and the other side is cocked upward to the right. In other words, by twisting the LED tower to line up the shield, I'm also turning the LED's themselves so that they are pointing off the horizontal axis within the lamp housing.

My latest effort involves following your example of using a piece of aluminum tape to add height/angle to the right side shield. This appears to be helping but I haven't gotten it quite dialed in yet. The bulbs have been in and out of the bike at least a dozen times as adjustments were made to either the aluminum tape or to the rotation adjustment of the bulbs themselves.

I'm really hopeful I can get this figured out because I think these bulbs have a ton of potential. I'm going to try to tinker with them again this evening.
  18. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Tiger. I felt your pain on that one. I too had to make it work. But once I got it dialed in it is very nice...

Gee, I just ran into another one...... (click on H4)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EY6KULY?psc=1&tag=viglink20849-20

This one looks better - they seem to have the right shields and a fan...
    It is nice that we now have three better choices...
  19. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went for a short ride last night and wow - these things are very, very good. I'd say I'm about 95% there as far as getting these dialed in. I've still got a tiny amount of aluminum tape on the right side shield of both lamps. I also have the LED towers rotated CCW 22 degrees off center in order to level the shields when installed in the bike.

I'm going to test a little more this weekend and will try to get some photos up.
  20. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    This one looks promising but they are obviously struggling with the Chinese to English translation.

"Tubro-Cool fan create high efficient head dissipation"

I wonder if the fan unit is removable to allow installation of the rubber weather boot. Each light is rated 25 W, 1800 lm. How does the lumin output compare to the G7?