New Garmin 66i

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Hich76, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Hich76

Hich76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. TrevorG

TrevorG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I heard the 66 had some software issues, this device looks awesome but I'm going to wait for some reviews to see if those issues have been resolved.
  3. jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To my knowledge and Garmin's (that's what they said at least) I am one of the first users of this 66i and one of the first to experience an issue. That issue is that the microSD seems to be sensitive to cards. Not sure if it is software related or my device.

My 4GB card formatted with Mac or Windows works either way

the only 32GB card I had (of 3) that worked with the 66i only worked when it was formatted with Windows but not with Mac

This was all done in FAT32 format.

Also, this morning as I was typing in an address for an address search the device powered down, twice. I probably won't bother to bring that to Garmin's attention as so far it is so rare it is not an issue. My GPSMAP 78 would lock up from data intensive operations. I've come to the realization that Garmin products are just quirky in some aspects.

The external memory issue was the big one but I now have that resolved. The device is awesome and I definitely feel it was a good purchase. I also now don't have to worry about lugging around a navigator and a satellite communication device separately.
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  4. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    My annual subscription to the SPOT X is ending this month and seriously considering jumping to Garmin for ease of messaging even though I hardly use the feature. I'll be keeping my SPOT Gen 1 so I will be covered by both sat systems. SPOT has hinted through a survey they sent out that they too have a new bluetooth smartphone pairing device offering on the way.

Get the 66i, go for the old skool Inreach, or wait for SPOT? Hmmm
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    "go for the old skool Inreach" gets my vote.
    The other two: One is new so no track record and it's Garmin new; the other doesn't exist, yet; and it's Spot, which doesn't have the greatest track record.
  6. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes thinking of jumping from SPOT for sure now......Not only did the fees go up 25%, there is a $25 fee for downgrading plans! Makes the Garmin plans look better already!

Maybe go for the mini for now and deal with he shorter battery life and just charge enroute.
  7. Joe167

Joe167 n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't currently have a Spot or Garmin, but I think I may be buying the 66i. I'm a little anxious about it, but I heard that the software will have continual updates avail via wi-fi.

Hey CrazyCooter, I apologize for the bad news, but Garmin has a similar fee for downgrading plans as well. An exert from their site: "a $24.95 fee applies to changing to a less inclusive annual plan."
    wilsonjw42 likes this.