New Garmin Europe map, what a messed up deal

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Europe, Africa, & Middle East' started by khpossum, Jul 3, 2021.

1. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    For the last 4 years I have been using Garmin 2018 Europe maps. This week I decided to buy an update for an upcoming trip. It looks like Garmin really screwed things up, badly. Shocker, I know. Garmin Europe is now split in two map sets. If you go from one map set to the other it will not route across the two map set boundaries. For instance, no routing from Brussels to Paris. The map with Brussels does not know where Paris is or vice-versa. The two map sets don't even match up to each other. You will have to make one route to the border and then another route from the border to your destination on the other map set. This means you will have to manually do the routing before splitting your route. For instance when in France I can not say get me the shortest route to Rotterdam, since they are on different map sets.

I put a 10 mile route across the BE - Fr border with the 2018 maps, imported it into my 276CX. It crosses the two map sets and it will not recalculate.

A workaround is to do the routing in the 2018 map, go to the map set crossing points, add way points and break the route in two. Then bring the routes to the 2022 map set and recalculate each route again.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems incredibly stupid and cumbersome. I need to go back to using the 2018 maps. Unfortunately garmin.openstreetmap.nl is not being updated anymore and I haven't been able to generate routable Garmin maps from the OSM website (anybody have good directions on how to do that?)

I will call Garmin Monday and see if they will give me my money back, but since i downloaded the map I expect them to refuse.
  2. b4thenite

b4thenite Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used my google offline map for my ride in Europe. You can also use Gaia. Gaia gives you better topo information. Free.
  3. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pm me for the solution. Long story to explain here.
  4. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting! I have tried this now on my Montana 700i and there it works: I can let the unit calculate a route from Stockholm (Eastern map sheet) well into France! I was also surprised to realize that with the latest lifetime update, the Europe Map has been split. I also own a 276cx, but there I am also running the 2018 maps and will for sure NOT update those! Please let us know what Garmin has to say about this problem. The 276cx is still sold, so their maps need to be 100% compatible!
  5. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you buy Garmin, you expect it to work as it should.
  6. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I turned it in to Garmin. After several calls I eventually talked to a guy who actually immediately understood and appreciated the issue. That was gratifying. Garmin has some very capable people, it is just hard to find them. Of course, as expected, he is not a in a position fix things. He passed it on to the Garmin Europe map guys. Have not heard back from them. This is as much as I expected.

In the mean time I "found" a current Europe map that covers all in one mapset. I use it in Basecamp so at least I can route plan across all countries. That version wont work in the 276CX, it has some sort of protection scheme built into the GPS. So I use my bought split Europe map in the GPS. (BTW my "found" Europe map now works in Mapsource as well, Bonus....)

Right now I split the BaseCamp routes where it crosses the map split and down load them to the GPS. I will be in Europe in a month, so I want to see what happens in the 276CX with a route that crosses the map split. Will it route within the GPS across the map split? I hope to find out, but I will be ready with the same route split in parts. I will report back.

BTW and side issue: I downloaded the Europe map from Garmin instead of buying their SD card. In order to use the Garmin Europe map on your PC in Basecamp you have to connect the GPS, since Garmin in their infinite wisdom won't allow downloading the map to your computer. Working in Basecamp you actually get the maps from your GPS as you go along .There is any easy way around. Take a fast USB drive and copy the 276CX SD card onto the USB drive. Now plug in the USB card in your PC and BaseCamp now finds the map on the USB drive with no GPS presnt. With a fast USB 3.1 stick and 3.1 port this moves things along much quicker. One step further is to make on your PC a virtual drive that the PC sees as a USB drive. For further details see here. Copy the GPS SD card onto the virtual drive.

BTW #2: I think I confirmed the map split is a file size issue. With garmin.openstreet.nl no longer a viable option I found out how to create my own current OSM maps. Creating several OSM files there is a point where the OSM map won't show up in the 276CX. I am pretty sure it is because of the map file size.