New Garmin inReach 2017.

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by gjn201, Jan 4, 2017.

1. MrMike650

MrMike650 n00b

Oddometer:
    I can't talk about the GPS function too much yet as I've only used it once on a limited basis. But as far as sending outbound text messages it works excellent. Sends out with in a minute or two assuming you are outdoors.

Quick comment on route and track transfer. I took a track and used Basecamp to convert to a route. That route and other waypoints I created showed up just fine on the Unit and the iOS ap
    Tewster2 likes this.
  2. MrMike650

MrMike650 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just another FYI, I imported a track that I recorded (on a Montana 650) this weekend. Over 500 points. Tried it two ways, First converting from Track to Route using Basecamp. Then just leaving it as a track. The importer converted the track and filtered it down to 500 points with better results than the Basecamp conversion.

All the management for the InReach can be done on the website. They provide you the worldwide topo (same as I was using in Baja which is pretty decent), OpenStreet Map, Aerial, and Road map. You can call up any of those and draw routes and drop waypoints.

You can also download additional maps onto the device. I think I did this by selecting maps on the iOS app which then will sync when you connect and sync your InReach to the computer. There maybe another way to do this.

One last note on sending message, The virtual keyboard is decent as it has predictive feature which gives you words to pick from. Don't have to type it all out. Or connect to your phone and type there. Mostly I was just sending canned "All OK" messages which require no typing. Even the contacts for those message can be preset using the website. So unless you are adding someone else or deleting from the list you can do it very very quickly.
  3. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting to buy one but won't until they get the MacOS bug fixed. Here is a response from Garmin...

"...I am sorry to hear about issue syncing with your Mac. At the time of this post we are aware of the issue and in the process of getting it resolved. We do have a workaround in place until we have the issue resolved. If you would please email social.support@garmin.com and we would be happy to provide those steps to you".
  4. lddave

lddave been there

Oddometer:
    I had no problem syncing the InReach with my mac book pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know, thanks.
  6. MrMike650

MrMike650 n00b

Oddometer:
    I sync with my macbook air. The first couple of times there were no errors. The last few there were. That said, I was able to transfer my routes, etc and didn't seem to see any problems.

What is the known bug?
  7. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure. I'm following comments on Amazon and others.
  8. socially stunted

socially stunted Mind astray

Oddometer:
    Did I read right earlier that the Explorer+ can't reroute on it's own like my 60csx would?
  9. BoxerDoc

BoxerDoc Boxer2Vtwin convert

Oddometer:
    @krussell -- I was playing around with uploading tracks to the Delorme/Garmin/Inreach/Explore site yesterday to display on the map. I ran into the 500 waypoint maximum as well. If I let the Delorme site do the downconversion the results were abysmal. However, I got better results with Garmin Basecamp converting them to 500 waypoints instead. If more pinpoint accuracy is needed, it's also possible to split the tracks into smaller chunks.

I have the original version of the InReach, so I can't use the maps/tracks on the device -- but -- it is very nice to get the tracks displayed on the map in order to have custom print outs. Which the website will do. However, if you try it, just be aware that it takes quite a bit of time from when I hit the 'print' button until the map is ready for printing. I thought the functionality was just shut off at first. Then a few minutes later....surprise and up pops my printer window! The output is very nice, though and worth the wait. IF you want to tile maps together, this is challenging. It's not possible to precisely control where the map print outs fit on the page.

Below is a pic of a printed out map of a portion of the KAT lying on top of a Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer (not the same area but the overall similarity is striking)

Attached Files:

10. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Tewester, or anyone else, what/where can I find out about the REI discount? All I see is the garage sale and the guy at the store didn't know about it?
    Thanks
  11. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Join the REI co-op (free I think) then you get the discount code emails. Got one today for 20% off until 4/10. Saved $90 on an Explorer +.
  12. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    All the codes I see say not for gps technology. :(
  13. jojojones

Oddometer:
    Join the co-op so you are a member then you can use code MEMLOVE20 worked just now for me but you must be logged in as a member. Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.17.18 PM.png
  14. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  15. krussell

krussell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ugh. Wish I would have seen it earlier, looks like they fixed it. It won't take it any more.

dang.PNG
  16. krussell

krussell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I called too, didn't help. "Coupon can not be used for anything with GPS technology." @jojojones , you got yourself a deal!
  17. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    I've been an REI member since 1969 or so. I am usually not a compulsive buyer. I do have a thing for gps and trackers, I have had a few SPOT devices and an early SE. I have never been able to get a break on any of them at REI because it's GPS technology. Well sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks (hopefully)

So after Jojojo showed me his cart, I tried it on my phone at the store. The clerk said it won't work when you go to pay and showed me on the register :(
    So I went out to the car and finished the order and...
    Order being processed...
    Fingers crossed.
  18. krussell

krussell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was this Friday evening, or earlier in the day? I thought maybe it was a phone thing, so I tried with my phone, and then I downloaded their app and tried that. No luck either way?
  19. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Around noon Pacific time.
    Like I tried to say, their computer and cashier said NO at the end of transaction.
    I got to order processing including discount, hoping for a "shipped email" in the next few days.
  20. jojojones

Oddometer:
    Sorry I guess they changed it.

yesterday 3/24

6:19am
    20% promo email came in with a link on the bottom to terms and conditions that I did not read until late last night and it does note no gps. Since it was a link and I did not read it when I got it, it's possible they changed it.

1:05pm
    placed order on laptop, paid paypal with no issues and got order confirmation email

11:16pm
    received order ship confirmation email

Bob...were you able to complete your order and get any email confirmation?

I think you can still get the 10% dividend from the normal price purchase.
    krussell likes this.