New Garmin inReach 2017.

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by gjn201, Jan 4, 2017.

1. bhb

bhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the "old" model weekly for both tracking and messaging. Works wonderfully. They come up for sale occasionally in the flea market (on this site).
    tkach likes this.
  2. DRBITCH420

DRBITCH420 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody used TAT gps maps on the unit?
  3. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the new one and all I can say is this is a plan b for gps navigating for me. You can load tracks and the number of waypoints are limited and the whole interface both on the unit and in a browser has some jangle...beware. I do load the track of where I am going but would only attempt it if phone was not available. The price difference over the non map model is so little it is worth it...plan b only imho.
    JMartin likes this.
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Got my InReach Explorer + a few days ago----and have pretty well got it figured out.
    I had a spot tracker for years and it served me very well---but of course no communication with it while in the bush----------I'm always in the bush it seems :imaposer:imaposer

I've always been very uncomfortable being out of communication with my wife who has not always been in the best of health-----------problem solved with the InReach.

I still prefer to do all my tracks, routes, navigating with my regular gps.
    A Garmin 276CSX on my big bike and a Montana 610 on my small bikes.

I like it ------------2 thumbs up. And thanks for all the good info provided on this thread-----I just did find this thread----cause I'm kinda.........slow.

BigDog
    Tewster2 and ShineySideUp like this.
  5. drneo

drneo mmm... delicious

Oddometer:
    For those of you who have recently purchased a Garmin inReach (either version) - do they go on sale at all?
    The cheapest I've found is $302 at TheDigitalOasis.com

My poor wife bought me one for my birthday off of a crappy website, it turned out that the Garmin did not work and we had a hell of a time returning it...
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You get one for less $ on amazon.
  7. drneo

drneo mmm... delicious

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for the Garmin version (yes, the Deloreme can be had for less) - have a link??
  8. jojojones

Oddometer:
    See if you can get the 10% back from REI membership
  9. Davethestick

Davethestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine for $322 on Amazon
    drneo likes this.
  10. drneo

drneo mmm... delicious

Oddometer:
    Thanks - they do give you your normal 10% dividend back, but they are $400 listed, so it's still cheaper to go someplace else
  11. jojojones

Oddometer:
  12. gt750

gt750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Identical under the cover!
  13. scanda

scanda Trooper

Oddometer:
    Just to verify. I need to have a paid account before I can do anything with my Garmin InReach I just bought correct?
  14. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Yes---------------but if you got maps loaded in it you could use it as a gps. But there's way better stuff to do that. But to do all the things we buy these for-------yes you need to have a paid account and activate it with Garmin.
    BigDog
    scanda likes this.
  15. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smaller...cheaper...what does it all mean? My Impression of the previous version of In-Reach was Garmin repackaged the "machinery" of the device designed by deLorme, and did little or nothing to make it compatible with other Garmin GPS products. Is this something that is "more-Garminish" with better/different/more Garmin GPS capability? I was all excited by the previous InReach, but have shied away from it because it isn't fully Garmin, more or less deLorme, just "different" from SPOT. Is this just some new product that lives in a limbo world between all the spot like products?
  17. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seemed to me to be just a smaller inreach se, a personal like my inreach explorer more the i did the spot gen 3. Imho at this point/price range i doubt anything ‘revolutionary’ should be expected anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I disagree

The smaller cheaper sat comms get the more of us will buy.

Witness mobile phones
  19. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well there are plenty of used units on ebay that still cost less then the new unit. I reckon unless someone is after the latest tech just because, there shouldn’t be any sudden boots in sales.
    The next evolution might be a satcomm full functioning gps (ex montana etc) or a cell phone with similar capabilities, but the price aint gonna be pretty either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. krussell

krussell Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new 396 GPS has 'incident detection', which will send a message that an incident was detected via your cell phone. I suspect it's not long before they integrate the GPS + incident detection + sat comm in a single unit.

I run my inreach on the bike, not on my person, but a lot of folks like it to be on them. The small form factor of the mini will be very appreciated for the wearable use case. That is assuming there's no impact on performance.
    AdamChandler likes this.