New Garmin Monterra (not a typo!)

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by lmychajluk, Jun 24, 2013.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the 1.30 apk won't install on anything but a Monterra. the 1.29 (and earlier versions) that Garmin won't distribute anymore is harder to find but installs easily and runs well....
    Screenshot_20191106-063208.png
  2. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    All of the Monterra Software is here. I tried just about every version of the Monterra Outdoor Software on a Galaxy S2, S5, S7, S10+ with various versions of Android. The S2 is rooted and running Android 4 which is about the same OS as the Monterra. No device will accept the installation, they go through the motions, and at the end I get the "X App not installed message".

Don't know how you installed it, or what you're running it on, but your screenshot definitely shows it working.
  3. ohgood

Oddometer:
    the older 1.29 will work, i have it on several

yesterday i tracked a couple hundred miles with it as a test.

unfortunately the Garmin outdoor application doesn't record as many data points in each track point as my Android apps.... so i won't be using it for recording tracks:
    Android:
    Screenshot_20191107-055218.png
    Garmin:
    Screenshot_20191107-055231.png
  4. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think you have the pure Garmin 1.29, I think you have a slightly modified APK that someone made to work.

Interesting observation on the trackpoints, I still think the Monterra has the best trackpoint creation of any device or software I've tried. The algorithm has the perfect blend of distance and time....tracks come out very smooth.
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:

that's the automagic recording setting, I agree it's just right. if it included barometer/heart rate/altitude/speed/accuracy/battery/temp/etc it would really be a handy reference years later after the ride/home was completed.

if you find a list of Garmin checksums for apks we can compare after a md5sum on this one... otherwise who knows what's different.
  6. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a Monterra they're no longer making use of and would part with?
  7. emilio700

emilio700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Monterra for sale. Current firmware 4.10 updated. Includes powered RAM mount & battery. Perfect condition, no scratches on screen. Detailed base maps installed. 32gb card included.
    Garmin battery weak so either use AA's, rechargeable A's or included powered mount. I had the mount set up on my bike to switched power so Monterra powered up when bike started. Mount is stable enough to take good images. Nice for geotagging cool spots so you can find them later.

Originally paid around $800 for all of it. Paypal $280 to info@949racing.com and its yours including insured shipping to anywhere in US. Same email if you have any questions. PM's turned off so email only.
    Monterra_1.jpg
    Monterra_2.jpg
    Benduro likes this.
  8. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey mate, thanks for the offer.
    In the intervening weeks I decided to give a ruggedized smart phone a try instead. If I end up unsatisfied, I'll hit you up for it.
    Thanks again!
  9. Paco Martínez

Paco Martínez n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, I've been struggling several days with my Monterra looking for on the internet to install an APK to manage my Gopro without success.
    I have found this post and it seems you got it. Would you be so kind to help me with additional information on how to do it please?
    Thank you very much in advance and best regards.
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Android OS on the Monterra cannot be updated in order to run your current Android Apps. Garmin abandoned / discontinued this device.
  11. VABDet

VABDet Is it dirty? I'm in...

Oddometer:
    Hello Paco, now you come with old things - I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday since I am old and you ask me about stuff I posted 5 years ago LOL

Let me try if I remember it right, since the Monterra Android can't be updated you have to stick with older GoPro APPs and an SD Card installer APP. Back then I found both online. Just Google for GoPro APK downloads in the 2.6.xx range and download those. Then you need to get an SD Card APK installer like this https://apkpure.com/sd-card-apk-installer/bong.android.sdcardapk (though not sure if that was the one I used)

If I went with newer version than the 2.6.xx it wouldn't launch. Though I have no idea if those old GoPro App version still connect to the new GoPro. Back then I had a GoPro 3. Its all try and error. Maybe you get lucky to just be able to control the basic functions.

If you can't find those APKs let me know, I may have those still on my computer at home.

good luck
    The Walrus and DRTBYK like this.
  12. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice helpful reply...good on you VABDet! So much aingst in the world today, and yes I am also guilty.
  13. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    I just fired up my Monterra for the first time in a year.
    Won't even support current Google maps.
    What a POS
    No updates and abandoned.
    Never buying Garmin ever again.
  14. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Garmin can be horribly frustrating. I've had a couple of devices (eg iQue 3600 Palm-based GPS, kind of an early Monterra) and software-only solutions (eg. Mobile XT, a Palm app and Mobile PC, a Windows app, that let you connect an external GPS to your device and use it as a navigation device, another Monterra kind of effort) over the years that have been rather quickly dropped and never supported after that. Those experiences kept me away from the Monterra even though it looked like a really attractive option. Garmin has been down that road a number of times on other OS platforms and never gets it together.

And don't get me going on their almost complete lack of customer support on almost everything. It was bad when I first started using Garmin devices and it has gotten worse over the past decade.

On the other hand, I've bought many of their devices that seem to get supported almost forever. I have an old Nuvi 40, an even older 765T, and a 2597, all with lifetime maps. I can still get the lifetime maps updates on all of them and I still get firmware updates on the 40 and 2597. Everything still works fine on the 765T so the fact there are no longer firmware updates isn't relevant.

I have one of their earliest golf GPSs, the Approach G6. I can't remember how long I've had it but I know I used it for at least 4 seasons before I quit golfing nearly 4 seasons ago. I stumbled across it a couple days ago and connected it with Garmin Express. I got a firmware update, a time zone map update and updates to the current golf course databases.

I have a Montana 600 that I've had for four years. It was a refurbished model when I bought it so it's older than that. I've received firmware updates for it fairly recently. All of the maps I throw at it still seem to work just fine. And the rechargeable battery life is still excellent.

I really hate to give Garmin any defense but, on balance, despite the frustration of some products I had high hopes for, Garmin devices have worked well for me over the years.

...ken...
  15. Paco Martínez

Paco Martínez n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi VABDet,
    Ha, ha, ha, Yes I know that I'm asking about old things, so am I, lol.
    I'm very happy just with your quick reply.
    I have been using my Monterra for several years, mainly to see landpictures during off road activities. I am quite happy wiht it so far and now I was thinking on the Gopro management posibility. So I will test again as per your recomendations.
    Additionally to my Monterra I have also other Garmin devices (Map62s, Map64s & NUVI). I don't know about other GPS companies; at the moment I still trust on Garmin, knowing their software failures when launching some of the new products.
    Thanks a lot