New Garmin Monterra (not a typo!)

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by lmychajluk, Jun 24, 2013.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no longer any advantage to buying Download or µSD-Card version - each is only licensed to a single device today. You must have the device connected and recognized by Garmin Express for the Download or µSD purchase. There is also no difference in performance with regard to where the maps are located.
    NWBoarder likes this.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Trolls? Judging you?

You said you pirated a map. I just asked a question.

The ADVRider site can get into a lot of trouble if people discuss pirated maps. Best not to.
  3. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great! Thanks so much...exactly the info I was looking for. Another question about my SD card reading problems...any reason NOT to do a hard reset on my Monterra before installing new City Navigator? I have everything backed up to thumb drive (routes, maps, waypoints, tracks, etc.). Just thinking a hard reset would get rid of any corrupted data that may be affecting the unit's ability to read the SD card reliably.
  4. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Doing a Master Reset on the Monterra will remove all user installed Apps and data. The downside is that if you have installed Apps that have been updated to run on the latest versions of Android OS, they will most likely no longer install and/or work on your device.
  5. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have known all along about the inability to upgrade the Monterra's version of the Android OS, so I haven't used it for apps like my phone. I guess the only question is if the standard Google apps will work?
  6. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    They will work fine
    2thdrinOR likes this.
  7. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    City Nav is updated quarterly. I don't think you get updates with the microSD card. If you get the lifetime maps download you can then update whenever you like with no further charge.

As was already said, there's no performance difference between the two.

...ken...
    2thdrinOR likes this.
  8. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Well I have spent all day with this damn device and have nothing to show for it but an $80 charge on my AMX. I did a hard reset to put it back to factory condition, removed and formatted my microSD card, deleted and reinstalled Garmin Express, and enabled WiFi on the Monterra for a couple of hours to allow all the software (mostly Google stuff) to update. Now when I attempt to add a device in Garmin Express, it can see the device but when I click the button to continue nothing happens. Every time. Uninstalling and reinstalling Garmin Express changes nothing. Windows 10 has been updated. Quitting for tonight, but Garmin is going to have one grouchy customer when I have time to call them. What a waste!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    have you tried another card ? sometimes they are labeled as 32gb but are really a 4gb (or smaller) relabeled for profit. it sucks when you get one and waste a day to finally figure it out later.

i'll fill up a new-to-me card with video files to make sure it actually has the capacity it claims as a test before trusting it with stuff i need.

if you don't want to wait hours for the slow usb connection on the monterra to fill the card (for testing) you can always pop it into a card reader to fill it up and test.

just an idea to save you some headache :-)
  10. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the idea, but all is good with the card. There is also plenty of room on the device for operation. I'm not having a problem loading the new map. Garmin Express won't even let me get to that point.

11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

Sorry man.

I hate relying on proprietary/third party software to do things as simple as moving a file.
  12. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    No doubt! Back in the day software was protected with a 16-20 digit code that you keyed in when you installed. What was wrong with that?

ohgood likes this.
  13. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    It could be, and was, easily hacked. And, your issue is not just Garmin, Microsoft's Windows 10 often doesn't seem to like Garmin USB Device Drivers. Does WIN10 see and mount your Monterra and µSDCard?
    ex-xt and ohgood like this.
  14. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Yes, no problems whatsoever with Win10 seeing the Monterra internal storage and the SD card storage down to reading files. I do notice that the Monterra is recognized as a "Media Device" by Windows.

15. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    So, more experimenting with this thing tonight. Garmin Express seems to run fine and connect with the Monterra if there is no SDcard in the device. Both, brand new out of the package SanDisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-1 cards (32Gb) when installed in the Monterra will cause Garmin Express to error out or not run at all. These cards are the recommended brand and type for the Monterra and are supposed to be supported natively as they are FAT32 formatted. I still think there is something broken in my Monterra in the SDcard interface. Maddening. I'm going to try getting a small capacity card like an 8Gb or 16Gb and see if I get the same result. So if I install the City Navigator NT in the internal memory, there likely won't be room for much else. I was planning on buying a TOPO map too, but I guess I'll just use the OSM maps since they will install on the SDcards no problem.
  16. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put the SanDisk card in an SD card adapter and plug it directly into a USB port on your computer. The transfer will be so much faster than when it's in the Monterra, and you won't have to debug the Monterra/SDcard interface.

Put a folder named Garmin on the sdcard before you start Garmin Express.

These are on Amazon:
    [​IMG]

:ricky
    ohgood likes this.
  17. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you sure the cards are formatted FAT32 and not exFAT? Every problem I've had with a FAT32 card has been fixed with the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. You can download it for free. It's worth a try :dunno
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try an older type SD card, just SD not SDHC etc
  19. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Yes absolutely sure.

20. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Garmin tech support responded by email stating they have to be class 10. Pretty sure that precludes older type cards.