New Garmin Monterra (not a typo!)

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by lmychajluk, Jun 24, 2013.

1. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll try this. I assumed that without the Monterra plugged in and found by Garmin Express that I wouldn't be able to download...I thought that was their copy protection.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  2. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ooops.

I do not use proprietary maps (not free), so I have never had to deal with validation. My suggestion won't help you. :nah

:ricky
  3. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    So guys another question for your wisdom...I recently installed a copy of City Navigator NT on my Monterra purchased from the Garmin site as a download. I want to plan a route/trip in Basecamp on my laptop. Do I have to have the Monterra connected to my laptop in order to use the City Navigator map? Seems like it should allow me to us it on the computer since I purchased it? Thanks, and sorry for the dumb questions still...
  4. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Basecamp reads the CN from your Monterra. Remember to remove all waypoints from your planned routes before transferring them to your Monterra (right mouseclick on the route => remove WPs). If you don´t do this, you will have blue flags on all WP´s on your Monterra and they will be announced.
    2thdrinOR likes this.
  5. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    I actually like the waypoints left in the route, but thanks for the tip. I still find route planning in Basecamp maddeningly difficult. It takes me 30 minutes to do something that takes me two minutes in Google maps.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

User Google maps, export and convert to gpx
    2thdrinOR likes this.
  7. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Late to the party, and . . . I received no memos, but . . .

Recently-purchased used bike had Monterra mounted. Worked, NUVI-like, on a ride to a, "Where To?" address; then about 6 miles out to a 7-mile destination, the machine went ape, pointing down obvious incorrect roads, etc., . . .

Then, the dismaying message on the screen: "GPS Off."

Certainly, correct. GPS definitely off. I have no idea how to change the configuration, turning the GPS function on.

Other stuff seems to work; compass points like it should, and so on. Talk with Garmin was ineffective in solving problem (paper manual now in the mail); attempted restoring default configuration under Garmin rep's instruction; still no GPS (the unit thinks its near Olathe (sp?), KS, on the "Map" function (in truth, in VA).

Any operator-level actions known to restore GPS function? Or am I headed for a Garmin pick-up slip to ship the unit back to Garmin for service?

Recommendations appreciated!
  8. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Monterra. I have a Montana. I watched this thread because I had hopes Garmin would actually come out with a new Monterra. The reason your Monterra thinks it's near Olathe, KS, is that's Garmin head office and all of their (North American?) units default to there until they get a satellite lock that lets them calculate your actual location. So it sounds like your GPS portion is seriously non-serviceable.

...ken...
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:

since it's running Android i would check to see if Location Services were turned on. gps should be on.
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, I would suggest looking over my article on the Monterra. As for your GPS showing as OFF, if you see a "Triangle !" up on the Status Bar it is truly turned Off. You can turn it on by placing the Power Control Widget on one of your Home Screens.

The Power Control Widget is located in the ALL Apps area. Press the Circle with the dots in it and then select the WIDGETS area.

All Apps.png GPS ON-OFF.png

So, once you've found the Power widget, touch it and follow the directions to move it to one of your Home Screens.

Cheers,
    Eltjo likes this.
  11. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information and suggestions, DRTBYK!

I will study the material and apply the techniques right away; will report results promptly.
  12. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a general comment, MacOS Mohave will not recognize the Monterra USB mode. I doubt that Garmin will be updating the Monterra USB software anytime soon. Windows 10 does see the Monterra but you must use a combination of Garmin Express and MapInstall to update the Garmin Software and the Garmin factory installed lifetime Maps respectively.
  13. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    About to, "Road Test" the unit. Believe I'm now seeing light (or, at least, GPS signal) at the end of the tunnel!
  14. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Success! Thanks to your lavishly-illustrated instructions, and the lucid explanations in your Monterra article, DRTBYK, I just completed my first successful ride to a, "Where To?" location. No longer is the receiver blind to satellite signals.

When I get squared-away with my preferences (turn-by-turn, etc.), I'll enjoy the ZUMO-Plus versatility of the Monterra.

Much obliged!
  15. ex-xt

ex-xt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    to be followed
    At this moment (major ride to stans ) I am thinking about moving from 600 montana which I appreciate to a monterra , maybe cheap second hand, because of the glonass . Before my otion was to put a custom rom on it, like on my XCOVER 2 but there is none and the model is no longer supported by garmin . >Good deal maybe but problems ahead also . :wings
    SO my questions are
    - connexion to a ubuntu18.04 laptop ? did not find any information about that
    - copying OSM maps on sd card , copying .gpx tracks on the gps himself?
    that is almost all I do . Plus saving routes and sometimes tracing .
    thank to knowers . I am reading " globe riders test also".
    add
    Finish reading the last 10 pages plus the " test" . I give up and keep my montana . Two reasons
    1) not sure to be confident on the big ride , because of android version, connexion with computer , warming issues....
    2) to google for me - i washed it out on the XCOVER , do not use google store or so, would be a kind of a regession
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I'm running the goa application (what the Monterra uses for all it's gps stuff) on my Android phone. if you're in love with the garmin outdoor application, just install the 1.29 apk and enjoy
  17. ex-xt

ex-xt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you fot the advice , ohgood.
    But I do not choose the smar " ONLY " tphone option , even with my " old " strong XCOVER because
    1)the screen is too little for my use
    2 the montana is strong, crash tested and with a wired support
    3 the XCOV is a phone also :y0!and could be a second chance gps in case .
    Anyway a good, reliable,glonass' , long time holding (more than 12 hours on the gps only )
    smartphone could be useful either
  18. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do you get the goa application / apk from?
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i found it searching through Google drive shares, or forums, don't remember. Screenshot_20191104-180850_1o.png
  20. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found it at http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/monterra
    Also transferred the APK directly from my Monterra.
    Tried to install it on a Galaxy S5 and a Galaxy S10+, no go, just get the "X App not installed message".
    The Walrus likes this.