New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got email today about a new Zumo from Garmin. The 396LMT-S.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/610131

$399.99

It looks like a cross between the 395 and the 595. With the new feature of WiFi for updating, instead of having to connect with a cable.

It appears to have the same 4.3" screen from the 395, but with all the features of the 595 (plus WiFi).

I was considering replacing my Zumo 660 with something newer. I would like better smartphone integration that what my 660 gives me (which is basically none). I started off thinking I wanted to get a 595. But, now seeing the 396, I'm wondering if I should be expecting a 596 with WiFi to come out soon. That would be nicer than having to cable up to a computer every time I want to update the GPS.

Or maybe the 396 is it and they will be phasing out the bigger unit going forward...?
    Steve G. likes this.
  2. StuartV

Oddometer:
    Doh! NOW I see the GPS forum.

Can a mod please move this thread for me? Sorry!
  3. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i've give it a few months for the 595 replacement. i had a 595, great gps, fair screen. i now have a nav 6, good gps, great screen... maybe the 59x will be the one.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Report your thread.
  5. StuartV

Oddometer:
    Done. Thanks. I'm still new here. I'll get the hang of this place some day... ;)
  6. StuartV

Oddometer:
    Yeah, now that I see the 396, I will definitely be waiting a bit before I buy anything. My Zumo 660 still works fine. I don't NEED anything new.... :D
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  7. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it has the processor that the 595 has or is it still the 395? There's a major difference in speed between the two. I have a 395 and it gets a bit frustrating at times because it takes soooo long to move the screen around.
  8. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm disappointed by the low res screen (no better than 660), and the complete lack of free traffic data (i will rely on smartphone app thus burning batteries and costing data plan charges, usually roaming of course...). Quite a regression compared to the free FM traffic data.

I expect a zumo 596 (I'm extrapolating their numbering) top of line to show up later, otherwise, the 660 is still gonna sell strong, (because the 595 isn't that interesting).

Basically, I need a quad or eight core zumo, with lots of ram like 4+GB (whatever it takes to route within 2 seconds), lots of on board flash future proof please, like 32GB, a 1280x720 screen, lifetime fm traffic and all the other additions since the 660. No, not a smartphone... I want the rugged version. Oh , and sd card reader up to terabyte and a dashcam at the end of a cable of the motorcycle mount! All of it on usb3 (no more installing at 5MB/s) & latest bluetooth. There you go.
  9. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Yep, good luck with that from Garmin. If they actually did make something that approached those specs it likely would cost a bajillion dollars.
    Shadowed_Stranger likes this.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

LOL!
  11. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah! That felt good.

But when you think about how smartphones go these days, it's already done (minus the rugged, motorcycle mount and dashcam).
  12. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got an email that the device is now available in the US. It was $80 off as well. Order placed.
  13. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  14. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    So while trying to see any feedback on the 396, I stumbled on this thread. I've not owned a GPS before, nor am I really sure I need one except for the ability to easily transfer GPX files. I've always just ridden and winged it. Trying to slog through workarounds with phone apps, google maps and the like just kills me. So I took a leap of faith and ordered it today. I figured since it's got most of the 595's features, notwithstanding the screen size, it would be a good starting point. I'm not sure I'll need the bigger screen, at least not with voice prompts. Especially for $300 more. Guess, we'll see. It's not supposed to arrive until next week, just before I go off on a week-long trip. So hang tight and I'll give you all a review, if only from a GPS neophyte that will probably be pleased, as I have nothing to compare it to.
  15. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got mine saturday but have yet to try it out, waiting for my moto specific bracket I plan to mount it too. I can say I like the look of the device, and it includes most of the previous version's accessories except no car charger (only a usb cable).
  16. SnowGS

SnowGS It wasn’t me, officer.

Oddometer:
    I received and installed mine yesterday. I have 2 Garmin car GPSs from 10 years ago and this is much faster but the screen is no better. Feels like a battle tank.
    I’m off next week on a Saddlesore 1000 and a 5000km in 5 day ride from Quebec to Georgia so I should be able to give a credible review after that.
    My route went from Basecam into the device with no grief, that’s a start since loading it into Scenic and a few other iPhone apps threw errors.
  17. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pics?
  18. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    My 396 arrived today. Have played with it a little bit, set up Basecamp and the unit. Will attempt to wire the loom and put on the mount this weekend. Since I have no reference point for comparison, for the moment I'm relatively impressed. The unit is not quite intuitive, but it's not horrible. Now learning the ins and outs of Basecamp, that'll be the challenge. I did load some GPX files from my Mac into Basecamp and then onto the unit without issue so that at least bodes well.

The unit itself seems solid and I'm happy enough with the graphics and overall operation. I admit, I'd probably prefer the larger screen of the 595, but given that the 396 has basically all the same functions as the 595, I can't really justify an extra $300. As Ocho mentioned above, it would have been nice if it had included a car charger. That way I could at least play with it while at work prior to the weekend.
  19. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    Those of you who have received your 396's or have similar 395's. Quick question. I'm putting together my powered baseplate and am trying to verify the orientation of the power connection plug when you slide it into the plate. The manual shows a plug that has a + mark next to one of the pins and shows it oriented to the right. My plug has no mark. It does have the plastic "ridge" and in the manual that appears to be on the outbound side of the mount. Could any of you just verify if my positioning is correct? I'd just hook it up to the bike before securing the loom, but it's at the shop and I'm not picking it up for another day or two. Thanks in advance for your input.

IMG_0100.png
  20. SnowGS

SnowGS It wasn’t me, officer.

Oddometer:
    Uh, there’s only one way the tiny little screw can line up with the tiny little hole in the back.
    At least on the 396 that’s the case.
    oakcutter likes this.