New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found out how many track points the 396-LMTS can handle, per single track? I found a post saying the limit is 15k for the 590/595.
  2. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is kinda weird that they have no detailed specs published anywhere for the 395/396. It does say the 395 has limited topo map support so would have to assume the 396 is the same. I won't bother with the 396 and will be buying a Montana to replace my 660 when needed simply for the better track support of the Montana, plus I'll use it while hiking. I just think the Montana is a better dual sport device, the 395/396 seem like a road based device to me.
  3. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I just got my 396 so I don’t have a lot of experience with it yet, but on a ride yesterday my favorites were definitely showing up on the map as I was navigating.

I general I was very pleased with the GPS. I have been using Garmin GPS’s since they were very new and a bit of a novelty and I have accepted the fact that there will never be a unit that I consider perfect, but I think this one is very close

I was able to get it connected to the Sena and my iPhone in a manner that was very pleased with. There are some very cool features that are user configurable. I’m still figuring out some of its quirks, but overall I’m very pleased with it.

I still haven’t changed the USB comm mode so I’m forced to use Basecamp which I find to be very counter-intuitive. I may leave it in this mode so I’m forced to come to grips with Basecamp.
  4. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    So I have been messing around with my 396 today loading some routes, changing the USB mode, adding a memory card and now my favorites are not showing up on the map.

Very strange!

I also could not find a way to invert a route in the GPS which seems like such a useful feature.
  5. bross

Oddometer:
    On my 660 once I select a route, I can edit, then Reverse points, or manually reorder, optimally reorder, recalc, etc. Do you not have any of those options on the 396?
  6. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I have all of those options except reverse points. Same way on my Nuvi 550. It seems a strange thing to leave out.
  7. bross

Oddometer:
    I know it's a silly question but do you have a down arrow on that screen? My reverse route doesn't show on the first screen, I have to down arrow once.
  8. Tankdon

Tankdon n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi I am considering the 396 or an old 550, Having tried to load sam's sd card on a nuvi 2890. with no success. would either of these units accept sam's sd card and convert them to a route I could follow on the tat. On the first part of the TAT the nuvi kept going off on its on. I am no way an expert and would appreciate any advice
  9. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Not a silly question because I have been known to overlook the obvious. I have checked all the screens and it doesn’t seem to exist.

I think the best way to do this on this unit is to re-order the start and stop points and then tell the unit to optimize the route. However, it specifically warns you that it will remove your shaping points. I think the via points are retained however
  10. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I got in a long ride yesterday afternoon chasing a tag with my new 396. The more I use this GPS, the better I like it. The "Adventurous" routing found a really cool way to take me to the tag. It is very readable even in the sunlight. It was great to be able to see the weather since the rain was very spotty around here yesterday. I have been able to get the Bluetooth hooked into my Sena and my phone in a manner that I like. I really like that I change so many of the data fields so that I can see what I am interested in.

The way it displays (or doesn't) display favorites is still mildly annoying and it is beyond me why there is no reverse route function, but all in all I have found it to be a great GPS.

I have been experimenting with the map themes. They change the colors and presentation of the roads and other features of the map. I have decided that I do like the "Garmin" theme. It displays secondary roads with a light cyan color. Some of the other themes are much better IMO.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  11. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Is there any sunshade available for the 396 yet?It was somewhat difficult for me to see in sunlight.
  12. Cambion

Cambion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just purchased a new 396LTM-S and received it yesterday. Removed my old 660 wiring and ran the new wiring all nice and tidy only to find that the unit doesn't recognize power from the cradle. It will run on battery and it recognizes power from USB but not from the two pins on the cradle. My multi meter shows 5v (5.3 to be exact if I recall) so I don't think it's the wiring, though I suppose it's still possible. Contacted Garmin support and they were friendly but not helpful. Their only suggestion was to reset the device, which we did to no avail. Their second suggestion was to return it for a replacement.

Anyone have a similar experience where the wiring to the cradle is supplying power but the GPS isn't picking it up? I did check the two "pins", they're not stuck. They depress and rebound freely.
  13. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    My only suggestion is to verify that the polarity of the 2 is correct. The +5V is the bottom pin and GND is the top pin as I recall.

I don't think that you can get it wrong if you got the cord in the cradle correctly so that the screw lined up properly.
  14. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    waypoints/favorites must be saved as Points of interest and uploaded with Garmin POI uploader
  15. Ahdogee4

Ahdogee4 n00b

Oddometer:
    Garmin info page here: https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=o6V6i40CyJ6vJgBG53B9NA

I just bought a 396 in Feb, and then had to return it when the screen flaked out a month later.
    It had the bulky voltage regulator and the inline fuse.
    The replacement came with the new small regulator and internal breaker.
  16. Cambion

Cambion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good thought, I did double check. Thanks!

Returning it and will probably just get another one. Lesson learned (honestly, I've learned this lesson before and just forgot in my excitement to install a new toy), before taking the time to pull off plastics and run wiring nice and tidy make sure everything works! :)
  17. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Well that sucks to get a new toy and then have it not work. I’m sure the replacement will be better.

If you have a 5V power supply, you could use the sharp probes from a DVM to put power on the exposed pads on the back of the 396. If there is a current issue so that you get insufficient voltage under load with your wiring and converter, this would determine that.

I made my life complicated because I actually cut the new cord just to get the 396 connector. I had been using a Nuvi 550 which uses a USB connector. I had installed a hardwired connection on 4 different bikes and I didn’t want to pay $80 each for 3 additional mounts and converters.

My solution was to cut the new cord to get the 396 connector, cut the USB connector off the old hardwired set-ups, and insert a waterproof automobile connector between the 2.

Link to the connector that I used.

This seems to be a high quality connector and the wiring is 18 AWG or so which is plenty for this application without being complete overkill

This makes it easy to move between bikes. I also wired 1 of the old USB connectors so that I can also use the old Nuvi 550 as a backup.

Needless to say, I checked things out pretty thoroughly before I started cutting cords. That’s how I knew the polarity of the pogo pins.

IMO, this is how Garmin should have done it.
    CavReconSGT and Cambion like this.
  18. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can only think of two suggestions:
    1) Check that the two pins are attached correctly to the cradle. This needs to be done by the user and therefore could be a source or error. The two tiny little screws are holding it firmly on place, correct?
    2) Check that you actually have a solid 12V supply and equally solid ground on the far end of the adapter. I have seen people put accessories in series with the tail light, for example. It seems like the ground is there but it’s through a light bulb. If there is an inability to supply current for such a reason then you may see 5V at idle but it may collapse under load.
    oakcutter likes this.
  19. Cambion

Cambion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions. The unit I had only had a single screw holding the power cable to the cradle but I did use it. If they had two screws at one time perhaps they changed to ensure folks didn't mis-align by installing it "backward"? As it is it can only be attached one way due to the screw holes lining up. I did double check the power, it was connected to a fuse block and I tested the output and then tried it again by reconnecting it after removing the wiring from what would have been the permanent installation on the bike just to be positive.

Oh well. I'll live with my aging 660 a bit longer. Perhaps they'll finally release a replacement for the 595 this year. Or maybe someone else will release a better alternative. (I looked at the TomTom but wasn't overly impressed with what I saw)
  20. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok yes, sorry, there is only one screw. The instructions how to attach it are are here: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/zumo396/EN-US/GUID-62771399-F81D-4932-A58B-14133F4BE12E.html
    It sounds like you have moved on for now. My friend had the 595 and likes the fact that he can power it from the regular USB cable while in the mount, which is not possible with the 396LMT-S.