New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. oakcutter

oakcutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes, the unit goes to 12v power has been lost and shutting down, have checked all the connections and the cradle, I have soldered connections with heat tape. power is there, gps not getting it . Still investigating this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I'm currently using a Nav. 4 and am debating between the 396 and the Nav. 6, the prices of the two aren't hugely different in Japan where I am. Would you mind giving a brief comparo?
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I find google maps is great for getting from A to B, where it lacks is allowing the selection of twisty/scenic routes as opposed to the most fastest route. If Apple or Google could come up with an app that transformed their maps into a full blown bike navi with the ability to do this and to easily input routes I wouldn't be looking for a new garmin.
  4. Twospot

Twospot Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. sfalexi

sfalexi n00b

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I tested some tethers...

So the X-grip (phone) BARELY fits on this GPS, but it fits. And it leaves room for the USB plug. So there's your car mount if you already have an X-grip. The tether on the X-grip (phone size tether) also stretches to fit. It works both on the X-grip, and also on the motorcycle mount that comes with the device so for about $7 you can get some decent peace of mind.

It IS a little tight, so I'd have to ride more to see how well it stays, but if you end up having to move up to the slightly larger RAM tether, no big deal.

Alexi
    20190512_161102.jpg 20190512_161152.jpg 20190512_161202.jpg 20190512_161346.jpg 20190512_161416.jpg 20190512_161421.jpg
  6. CheesyRider

CheesyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cambion and Hogges like this.
  7. Hogges

Hogges Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought mine at this store, at a higher price. They are a legitimate retailer. Thanks for letting people know.
  8. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. brock29609

brock29609 '17 V-Strom 650 rider

Oddometer:
    Considering a zumo 396 given how cheap they are, but I have a concern after testing out a friend's...

So I loaded the zumo 396 with a GPX route from Basecamp that had shaping points removed before exporting to prevent every shaping point from being announced. This is how I do routes on my zumo 660 (and all previously owned Garmins) and it works wonderfully.

After riding half way through the route, I cancelled the route on the device and then tried to re-activate it. Instead of the device continuing me on the route, it prompted me to select a point on the route to start from. Since the route was free of all shaping points, my choices were only the starting and finishing points. And of course if I selected one of those, it navigated me directly to those points instead of automatically guiding me along the route path. My zumo 660 would have asked me if I wanted to navigate to the start, then continued me along the route path after I said "no".

Was I doing something wrong, or is this a device shortcoming???? So far I'm unimpressed with the 396.
  10. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't have to delete your shaping points, just right click them and choose "Don't alert on arrival (shaping point)". I don't understand how you'd end up with the same route on the device if you deleted all your shaping points. My understanding of the 660 (I own one as well), is that it doesn't understand shaping points anyway. I have always replaced my shaping points with waypoints to force my route where I want to go. I didn't think this was necessary with the newer Zumos, and will be testing it as soon as my 396 arrives.
  11. brock29609

Oddometer:
    This hasn't worked on any of my devices. It still announces the shaping point. And, shaping points work just fine on the 660.

When you right click the route (PC version of Basecamp) and select "Remove shaping points", the points disappear but the integrity of the route remains both in BC and on the device. The route stays in place as if the points are there, yet they're gone. Just don't let your device or BC recalculate or your route will get messed up.

Shaping points force the route in the same way. I never use waypoints except for destinations I want to specifically identify, like lunch stops, hotels, etc. This also keeps your "favorites" from getting clogged up with waypoints that aren't particularly special.

Let us know what you learn. Thanks!
  12. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    As stated above, I just click on the shaping points to not be announced. I do this in BC. Works fine.
  13. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    It works fine for me as well. :dunno
  14. brock29609

Oddometer:
    OK had an opportunity to play some more with a borrowed 396 today and I still can't get past this problem.

So, it's correct that on this device you can mark a point as "Don't Alert on Arrival" and it actually won't alert (imagine that). However, I'm still having a huge mid-route frustration.

When starting a route it insists on forcing you to choose a first destination point, and points that are marked as "Don't alert" do not show up as options. I see no way to keep alerts turned off for all your shaping points and waypoints and still be able to join a route mid-route. It only gives you the option to travel to the start, the end point, or points that are to be announced. It won't let you just join an in-progress route and navigate you through it.

How can this be? Solution?

EDIT: Is this how it's done? Can I just point to a location on the map to join the GPX-file route (mid-route) and get navigated though it? I don't have the borrowed device any more.

[​IMG]
  15. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    brock29609 - Your scenario seems like a very plausible scenario and one I hadn't really thought about until now. I just started to use via/shaping ponits vs having a ton of waypoints needlessly annoy/alert me and your scenario brings up a limitation. I'd be very surpised if the 660 acts differently. I still have a 660 and could test both units, but my scenario would be to have shaping points in both .gpx files for each unit. I think having traffic setup on either unit might really complicate things if you're routing by fastest time and how far you are from the nearest shaping point and waypoint. Basically, it's not a real easy thing to test your scenario, but I understand what your saying. Maybe reach out to Garmin and ask them? I honestly doubt the 660 would act any differently than the 396 if both were running the same .gpx files with the shaping points in the .gpx.
  16. brock29609

Oddometer:
    To summarize, they are behaving very differently in the following ways, trust me.

Mid-route, the 600 automatically navigates you alone the route after you say "no" when asked about navigating to the start. The 396 wants you to choose a starting point among only the to-be-announced points. And it seems to take you directly to the selected point, and not necessarily though the route.

The 396 won't announce points where "don't alert on arrival" has been selected. The 600 will. To get around this on the 600, just right click the route and select "remove all shaping points. The points where "don't alert..." has been selected will be removed from the route, but the route will still navigate through those points as long as you don't allow your device to recalculate. I have my 600 set to prompt me before recalculating. This give me an alert that I'm off my route, then I always select "no".

I really want to buy a 396 at this current $250 price, but can't just yet until I resolve this.
  17. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know for sure if this works on a 39x, but on my 595 I can change shaping points to announced waypoints, which are then available as "resumption points" to a route. The GPS will calculate a new route from my present position to the selected waypoint and then continue on the original route.

In the Trip Planner, select the trip to view the points:
    32254.jpg
    Flags are announced waypoints, the blue dot is a shaping point. Press the dot, it becomes a flag and the route is recalculated.
    Press a flag and you are asked if you want to change it to a shaping point.
  18. brock29609

Oddometer:
    Interesting. During my tinkering with the 396, the unannounced shaping points don't even show up on this list. They're not there to alter from a blue dot to a flag. They will show up if I don't toggle off the announcement in Basecamp. Will your device announce those blue dots by default?

I need to get a hold of this device to tinker more. There has to be a way.

Thanks!

EDIT: *THIS* video addresses some of what we're discussing
  19. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The blue dots (unannounced shaping points) only appear when I select the route for editing in Trip Planner. When selecting a starting point, or resuming a route, only the announced waypoints (flags) are offered as options.
  20. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    Seems like that’s the workaround.