New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    Seems to me that the 660 is caching the shaping points vs actually deleting them and is why it properly routes you once you stop mid-route. What you’re doing is a hack to workaround that caching, which while works it really shouldn’t. What likely happened is that in later firmware versions they fixed this bug and just didn’t put in the release notes (at my co. we do this often).
  2. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that Garmin's failure to explain how their GPSs are designed to work causes all the frustration and cursing that we associate with their devices. They are really very capable devices, but discovering how to use them requires a lot of experimentation and/or internet searching for info from others who've already suffered their own failures.

There is a very good guide here from a guy that has sorted out the Garmin 59x logic so as to create predictable routes and deal with issues like going off track and other route changes. It's not in a great format, but it was his choice so that he can present only the most current revisions. I think Garmin uses the same logic in the 39x models.
    lhoff601 likes this.
  3. brock29609

brock29609 '17 V-Strom 650 rider

Oddometer:
    Basecamp does the same thing, so it's not just the 660. When you remove the shaping points in BC, it turns the route path pink (regardless of what color it was previously), freezes the route path and wipes out the points. It's the best way I've found to force your device to follow an exact desired path vs. navigating between your points. The 396 will follow that frozen path too with the points wiped out in BC, just don't try to join the path mid route because there's no point to tell it to start with, which it insists on having.
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't understand the aversion to adding a waypoint our two to a route to make sure it goes where you want. If you have ever used Ed's Bascamp tutorial, it's his recommendation and when I bought my 660, I was aware that it wouldn't follow shaping points so that's what I have always done. And by doing it this way, you completely eliminate the problem you're having. You can simply re-join you're route at any point and pick up one of the added waypoints.

Sure I get that in a perfect world you maybe shouldn't have to do that, but hey, it's software written by programmers who don't always think like we do.

I just planned a nice route from our home in Canada down to Utah and back and dragged and dropped our route a few times in Basecamp to "shape" it, but then went in an added one or two waypoints to "force" that route. Takes way less time to do that than to type a paragraph on here complaining about it. There is a very simple work around that will work 100% of the time for both old and new devices, it's just not the answer you want. I think that's what Ed was trying to accomplish in his tutorial, explain a way that just works.

It's not like we are constantly bumping into a limit of too many waypoints on our devices. If that were the case, then I could see the argument. Anyway, just my 2 cents, take for what it's worth.
    bobw likes this.
  5. brock29609

Oddometer:
    The only reason I remove the shaping points is to stop them all from being announced in my ear. I typically use many to plan routes, and on my 660 that's the only way to keep them silent. When I (frequently) lead 4+ riders, all connected via intercoms, the navigation instructions knocks out my intercom communications and it becomes quite annoying.

This works beautifully on my 660 so maybe I'll just keep using it. If it ain't broke...
  6. bross

Oddometer:
    I could see that, I don't have my intercom paired to the gps so no nagging. Wife and I only use our intercoms for communicating, I know weird eh. Just had my first ride with the 396 and I think I'll like it. First impression is that it is way faster than the 660 for searching etc., plus the keyboard is more responsive/accurate. I'll keep using the 660 on my DR as that's mostly for following tracks and finding fuel.
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you remember if maybe the difference in screen resolution detail ( photo in your post ) between the Zumo 390 and the 396 LMT-S was the various Map View settings?
  8. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 350 LM that I love. Simple and bright screen even in direct sun. I am looking at the Zumo 396 LMT-S. But does anyone have definitive confirmation from Garmin or know:

- Number of Waypoints supported ?

- Number of Routes supported ( custom gpx files )?

- Number of Tracks supported?

- How many waypoints Max for creating custom routes? How many Shaping Points for creating custom route?

Thanks
  9. bross

Oddometer:
    • Track support: yes
    • Custom map support: yes
    • TOPO map support: yes
    No mention of how many tracks supported. It should have at least the same capability of your 350.

10. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am still looking for quantitative MAX numbers for each.

Thanks .

Garmin I hope you listening?? You need to update your spec sheet.
  11. bross

Oddometer:
    Have you ever bumped into limitations with your 350?
  12. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just received email exchange with r Garmin Support regrind the Zumo 396 LMT-S.

The device ( 396 LMT-S ) supports 1000 waypoints and 100 routes.

The number of Tracks supported is based on the amount of device memory will hold.

You can use the same Zumo 350 / 390 motorcycle cradle and 12V power harness. Just spin is sideways so the two copper contact pin connectors are sideways. So, for those of you are familiar with the Zumo 350/390, you know the cradle clips to the top and bottom groves of the Garmin Zumo. Looks the Zumo 396 LMT-S clips to the sides

I love my Zumo 350 screen display technology. So, i am looking at pulling trigger on a 396 LMT-S. Need to find a used one.
  13. brock29609

Oddometer:
    After playing with the device some, this is how to do it. You have to figure out which shaping point is next on your path and convert it to a waypoint, and start navigating to there (when launching a route from beyond the starting point).

Overall, I think I'll like the 396. Kinda wish I picked up two when they were on sale at The GPS Store, but glad I got one. The price is now back up to normal.
  14. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another way of doing this is to pick a place along your route you want to join at, create a new waypoint there, then select go to and add it to your current route.
    brock29609 likes this.
  15. bross

Oddometer:
    And this just comes full circle as to why Ed recommends placing waypoints at strategic locations to "force" your route. That way everything is in place to follow that route simply while out riding. I'd rather spend a minute or two replacing shaping points with waypoints on the computer, then dealing with it on the device on the side of the road.
  16. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but then you’re continually being alerted to shit you don’t care about just to workaround the possibility of having to spend 30 seconds changing a shaping point to a waypoint. I’ll take the latter over the former.
    brock29609 likes this.
  17. brock29609

Oddometer:
    I can't see any argument for using waypoints to shape a route. The device will force you through shaping points the same as waypoints. And if the shaping point is set to be announced, you can start your route at that point just like a waypoint (on the 396).

I have hundreds of routes in Basecamp and if they were shaped with waypoints I've have a huge mess on my hands. I my actual points of interest would be drowned in a see of unremarkable useless points. The map view in Basecamp would be cluttered with symbols. And, building routes would take longer.

But, do what works for ya.
  18. bross

Oddometer:
    I'll try both and see what works. Part of my doing it the way I have been is because the 660 doesn't support shaping points, at least that was my understanding, but now it sounds like it actually does support them. Now that I have a newer gen gps, I'll try some routes planned in Basecamp and send them unmolested to the 396. I may be fairly set in my ways but am still willing to try something new and learn from others.
  19. brock29609

Oddometer:
    The 660 & 396 just handles shaping points a little differently in some ways. I'm trying to stay flexible too as I'm learning how the 396 thinks.
  20. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I don't have a late-model Garmin, but why can't you just create a gpx route on a program like Mappite.org and copy that gpx to the appropriate folder on the 396, thus just bypassing Basecrap altogether? Just trying to understand the complexity of getting a good route into your Zumos.