New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    You could do that but there's no guarantee that your device will read that gpx file and understand the routing, the same way that the program did. When I bought my 660 everything I read about it, from the most knowledgeable sources I knew, the Bsecamp tutorials, and GlobeRiders stated that it wouldn't use shaping points. It would simply route you from one waypoint to the next using it's own algorithms. One work around was to export your gpx file from Basecamp, import to MapSource (older discontinued Garmin program), and then upload to your device from Mapsource.

This made sense to me as Mapsource and the Zumo 660 were from the same era, and I was fine with knowing that limitation and workaround. Using Basecamp with it's updated routing algorithms like curvy roads etc. were not supported on the older software running on the 660.

It can be as simple as a routing program using a tag that the device doesn't support, or just ignores. I think that's why Ed in his Basecamp tutorials suggests routing using waypoints, it goes back to the basics and a known entity that ALL devices and routing programs/algoritms WILL support and use CONSISTENTLY, taking the guess work out of your route planning.

Then the newer devices came along with their new programming and routing algorithms that support more advanced routing. These may work perfectly with your routing program of choice, or they may not.
  2. brock29609

brock29609 '17 V-Strom 650 rider

Oddometer:
    Basecamp isn't the problem here. It's GPS device behavior.

This is interesting. I wonder why anyone would think that. Maybe when the device first came out before it received updates there were quirks?? Oh well. Onward to the 396.
  3. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is the best place to get one?
  4. bross

Oddometer:
    thegpsstore had them on sale or gpscity
    eddie98 likes this.
  5. brock29609

Oddometer:
    So here's a question.

Was proud of myself for selling my 660 on eBay for $395 shipped last week (listed as a "Buy it Now" price). But then I saw one with even less accessories bid up to $501 + shipping yesterday. Wow! Guess I undersold mine.

Why the heck are old 660s selling for so much when a new 396 is so much less?
  6. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Zumo 396 is on sale at GPSCity for $250 again
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

It helps to have a group of friends bidding them up. My guess
  8. brock29609

Oddometer:
    And the 595 is on sale for $499
  9. Stuntman68

Stuntman68 Mistakes are portals to discovery-James Joyce

Oddometer:
  10. PeterKaa

PeterKaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a simple, silly question and I might even know the answer already.
    My Zumo 550 finally gave in, will reset without warning and the buttons are falling off.

I am not an advanced GPS user I usually steal someones GPX and deal with it as I go along.
    I have considered a hardened tablet, but I like that I can manoeuvre the menu with my gloves on and read it even in bright sunlight.

Will I be happy with a 396? Will it even feel as an upgrade over the fantastic 550?
  11. bross

Oddometer:
    I just finished a 3100 mile trip with my new 396 and was happy with it. Faster to load and search than my 660. Had downloaded most days routes from Basecamp before leaving and it was easy to change routes on the fly.
  12. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We did 4200 miles in 13 days last month. Used a 396. Still not confident in it. Rebooted twice, once in the middle of some hectic navigation (thankful for well-signed roads in Arizona). Some say bad power feed contacts, but you can pull it out of the mount and it keeps running on the internal battery, plus it was a brand new unit and mount. It also lost 50% of my trip's track - appearantly on one of the reboots. Right now, it is in the box and my old SP2730 back on the GL1800.

One lesson learned: if you download a route to it and prepare to navigate that route, select the STARTING waypoint as first point to navigate to, or put a waypoint very close to your start point. If you just make a two-waypoint route (start and end) with many shaping points between and make the mistake of telling it to go to the destination, it will ignore ALL shaping points and use its own algorithym to take you straight to the destination. The 2730 would not pull that stunt on you.
  13. bross

Oddometer:
    I didn't experience any of that with our brand new 396, it was rock solid. I was going to say that mine did not exhibit that behavior with shaped routes, as I had several routes with just a start and finish and they worked fine, but I will have to go back and see which routes had an additional waypoint in them and which ones weren't just shaping points.

I know this was discussed earlier but I just keep using these new devices like I used my 660 and don't rely on shaping points as much as waypoints, like Ed suggests in his tutorials. If you want to make SURE your route follows your intended path, just use a few well placed waypoints.

I did find it easy to shape our route on the fly on the device by simply zooming in/out and touching the road you wanted to add as a shaping point.

I personally rely too much on the gps and when in unfamiliar places will just tell it where I want to go and then follow it. On our way home we had to just highball it and had a couple interstate days, but once a day away from home I was following the gps and missed a turn onto a secondary highway that is quite a bit faster than the insterstate (with no traffic), slightly longer and when my wife questioned why we were going this longer way I just said I was following the gps. Some quiet time on the intercom ensued and we finished our trip via the longer (time wise) route. It pays to just dig out the old paper map and study it once in awhile, that's how we planned all our little deviations from my pre-planned route through Utah and they all worked out great. Never would have tried those roads if we had not looked at a map.
  14. lkraus

lkraus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure there is a limit to the number of days or tracks that Garmin will record and retain automatically. I'm not sure what it is, but I think about 4-5 days or tracks. These are stored internally so the limit is probably to avoid overfilling all the memory. You can manually save the individual tracks ("Active Logs" on my 595), but if you don't, the older tracks start to disappear.
  15. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings.

A GPS newbie posting an update here - nothing more.

After a few more months of serious internet research, it came down to the Montana 610 or the 396LMT-S. I really wanted the Montana for all its advantages but I was "told" (?) the Montana series are not set up to communicate with my Sena 20 - meaning I could only rely on visually checking the Montana while riding. Like we all are, I'm comfortable checking my gauges while riding so maybe checking the Montana would be OK??? I don't know and had to make a decision. So the 396 will be here today for a cursory evaluation. I can return it if I wish for a full refund - provided I don't mount it and ride. A reasonable policy by the GPS Store who've been most helpful.

Just want to say thanks again to those who responded to my post a few pages back.

Cheers.
  16. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The loss of tracks was noted just a day after the reboots. Plus my old 2730 would hold months of tracks.
    BarryB likes this.
  17. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how to add custom waypoint symbols to the 396? The default directions of creating a 'CustomSymbols' directory beneath the 'Garmin' directory does not seem to be working. My custom .gpi does show its custom symbols, but waypoints sent over from BaseCamp do not seem to allow me to edit and select the custom symbols...
  18. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI. GPSStore is having deep discount on the Zumo 396 LMT-S during 4th of July sale. Priced at $250. Normally listed at $320-$350.
  19. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW there is a way to get a Montana to communicate with a Sena headset.
    My ancient Sena SMH10 came with a bluetooth adapter (Sena branded unit like the one below).
    I have used it a few times with my Montana.

Its kind of a pain because it is another piece of kit deal with and keep charged.
    It does however allow the Montana to give me turn by turn instructions through my Sena headset.

[​IMG]
    Perazzi and GF-kam like this.
  20. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you can find similar 3.5 mm. jack Bluetooth transmitter on Amazon. Great idea. You should post that under Garmin Montana 6xx thread.