New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you followed this how to...
    https://www.gpsrchive.com/BaseCamp/Custom Waypoint Symbols.html
  2. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 396 will not display custom waypoint symbols.
    onesaintsfan likes this.
  4. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    I suspected as much where did you read/here that though?
  5. bross

Oddometer:
    Here's from the Garmin support site...

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=VTS8XTdjCW5Tx3HyfJ3eQ6

Which contradicts itself.
    "1 Custom waypoint symbols created for BaseCamp cannot be viewed on the device"

But then goes on to tell you how to load them onto your device?

Saving a Custom Symbol to a Device

1. Plug the Garmin into a computer
    2. Locate and open the drive for the Garmin
      • Mac Located on the desktop, or in the Finder, under Devices
      • Windows Located under This PC, Computer, or My Computer
    3. Open the Garmin folder
    4. Save the custom symbol to the CustomSymbols folder
      Note: No more than 56 custom symbols can be saved on the device.
    The above instructions will allow you to use custom waypoint symbols on the Garmin device.

The key may be in the naming... and # of symbols...
    "Saved named must be 000 through 063 (E.G., 044.BMP or 044.PNG)"
  6. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    My naming is correct and so is the directory. My size is only 8-bit vs 24, so perhaps that’s it. I’ll retry tonight with the 24-bit and see if it works.
  7. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    Ok. so I asked Garmin Support via chat and the below is the response I got. Now, looking through the device.xml I believe the issue could possibly be worked around if the issue is simply that they omitted the node that references the custom symbols directory. I'll compare my 660 device.xml vs the 396 and see if that could work for those of us that are not afraid to edit the .xml.

"Thank you for that info. I got some clarification from our help desk. That article is on the older side and no longer applies to any of our current Auto/Motorcycle units"
    Spyrious likes this.
  8. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    My experience says different.

IMG_1902.jpg

I followed the directions here.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/4359

I was able to load custom symbols for covered bridges and Tim Hortons. It is important to use the correct sized symbol. If I recall correctly the one that works for 396 is 24x24 pixels.
  9. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like custom symbols for POIs not Waypoints. I thought the OP was asking for Waypoint symbols.

Some Garmin receivers can use custom symbols for Waypoints but the Zumo line does not.
  10. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    Did you upload the symbols as part of a POI upload or via creating a directory? When I added a custom .gpi the symbols loaded fine. I'm trying to just add a few generic symbols for gas stations (e.g. Chevron, Shell, etc) and not as part of uploading a POI file.
  11. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    You are correct. Those are custom POI symbols and the OP was asking about waypoint symbols
  12. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    As part of a POI upload
  13. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't say specifically where, but I have been following GPS forums for years and this topic comes up occasionally.
  14. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    I think you're right. I've looked at the 660 device .xml and it's very different than the 396 .xml. There's no mention of a path for custom waypoint symbols in the 660 .xml, so not sure that path leads anywhere.
  15. John in PA

John in PA n00b

Oddometer:
    Popped for a new 396, been using Garmins for many years, replacing Zumo 550 after second rubber button failure. A few questions so far.

First, every time I turn on the unit it asks what country, what language, and accept licenses, etc. Every other Garmin I've had only annoyed me with these questions the very first time I fired it up. How do I bypass this crap?

Second, when hardwired to the computer, my computer doesn't see the SD card as a sub-head under the device. Other Garmins offer device memory and SD card access when connected to Windows PC. Does it need to be enabled somewhere in the device??

Third, Zumo 550 I could load an optional photo as my opening splash screen. Can't locate that option on the 396.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  16. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Congrats on first post! :clap

Mine gets here Tuesday, so hoping someone here has answers to those questions and other sage -- or even some unsage :D -- comments and use-based observations.

Bill
  17. AL-n2it

AL-n2it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello John.
    My 396 asked me to accept the license for the first week or so but doesn't anymore. I only had to set the other preferences once and then again after a factory reset.
    The warning about using the device while moving comes up every time but will bypass if you don't click it.

I'm not sure about the SD card issue, many things can cause this, formating, card size, naming conventions. Someone here will jump in.

I also had a custom splash screen on my SP2720. I could not find a way to get it into the 396.
    Allen.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  18. bross

Oddometer:
    Have you updated? Mine asked once on first startup, then again after updating firmware and map, but not again after that.
  19. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a good deal on a 396 and decided to pull the trigger. As a devoted Zumo 550 fan (with same issues - three of the rubber buttons have now popped off on my unit which is patched up with electrical tape (but still functioning). Couple things I found that were mighty frustrating with the 396. As a D/S & ADV rider, many times I am standing on the pegs, so further away from the screen. The 396's screen is nowhere near as easy to read as the 550 - especially now that I'm getting older and my vision is less than perfect. Also, the 396 does not play well with Mapsource. After years of fighting with Basecamp, I have also reverted back to Mapsource as I'm much more comfortable with the simplicity and intuitive nature of the program. The 396 won't accept routes from it so I have to take an extra step to put them in Basecamp before loading them into the unit. I too wish there was a car mount attachment as there is no way to safely mount the unit if I need to use it for cage trips. Lastly, the device has so many 'extras' in terms of features that it makes searching for the basic adjustments a royal PIA. Who has time for that when trying to lead group rides?!?!?! Yes, I'm sure I could in time get used to it but just like a cell phone, I'm buying it for it's main function (GPS & routing) - I have a cell phone and computer home for the rest of that nonsense and don't want any of it interfering with the devices primary purpose. After a 3 day maiden voyage with the 396, I got so frustrated with it, I ripped the mount off and replaced it with my old 550 mount and am limping my old unit along until I can find a pre-owned replacement. Garmin had something special there with the 550 - wish they'd bring it back - I'd buy a few!
  20. PeterKaa

PeterKaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback!

I went on to buy a 396 as the old was toast.
    I do not disagree with your points, but I think I am much more basic as a GPS user so it is less frustrating for me.

I do find the screen easy enough to read at all times though, and there was a good solid car mount and 12V USB charger in the box from Garmin as well.

What I needed was an upgrade, maybe faster processing speed and bugfixes.

I got faster processing, a better screen but also more complications and still quite a few bugs.

When altering a route by dropping a point on the map, it would sometimes just freeze after having put around 2000km on the “track” maybe this fills up the memory.

When I enter route altering mode, FFS don’t zoom all the way out, there a pretty good chance that where I’ve panned to on the map already is where I want the via point.

That being said this is still a very useful feature when leading group rides.

Now and the when setting the route with the unit of the bike, it will just black out, no warning happens randomly. Turns on again like nothing has happened - an extremely frustrating bug!

Just came back from a 1000mile ride where I was leading two of my friends the whole way. So I have not yet explored all the features (and frustrations), but honestly if your 550 is quitting on you, a 396 is not a bad alternative.
    Takes some getting used to, but I think it is just as good a product as the 550 which also has a few quirks that I have gotten used to over the years.

Random picture from our trip, we did find a few nice spots and incredible roads after all :-)
    D65705FC-D073-4B82-9512-637E895D7143.jpg