New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting - found the same bug on my 396 - when loading up a route, the unit will just shut off and it would be a while before I could get it to turn back on - then miraculously the screen would come back to life. That left me with no confidence in the unit as I depend on it to run tours. To your point - it happens randomly with no rhyme or reason.
    pidjones likes this.
  2. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be contacting Garmin for a replacement. Mine did not hiccup once on our 3,000 mile ride to Utah and back. And once we got to Utah I was doing quite a bit of on the fly route changes. We changed our route to go home and I just built the route on the device in a few minutes each night, even though I had Basecamp loaded on my tablet I never needed it.
  3. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question: who has used 4Square on their GPS?
  4. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone who has searched for anything through the Garmin Smartphone Link app?

4Square gets the actual location results from HERE map data. The phone app works for whatever they consider to be "nearby", but if you want to find a restaurant or hotel two hours down the road you will be out of luck. I prefer to find what I want via Google Maps (with reviews), press and hold the pin, then "Share" to Smart Phone Link, which will let you send the coordinates to the GPS.

The GPS app lets you find distant places, but I find the "keyboard" is too slow and painful to use.

Google tells me there is a standalone 4Square phone app that includes reviews, but I've not looked at it.
  5. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand how the maps have inflated to gobble such huge amounts of memory, when the no longer contain ability to search fo such things. I tried the smartlink and unlinked it as it was messing with my link from my Sena to my phone. Also, I don't want it eating phone memory and my limited data plan (5GB shared by 3 users).
  6. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The map for my zumo 595 (CN North America NT 2020.10) can be searched for most anything by selecting "WhereTo?" on the first page - gas stations, motorcycle shops, attractions, hotels, restaurants, campgrounds, rest areas, shopping, banks, airports, custom POI, and more. This does not require Smart Phone Link and uses no data at all, which is important when there is no cell service available.

4Square is just another search option, which might have more up-to-date results, but which I find are sometimes incomplete, so it is not my first choice for a search. Again, I prefer searching via Google Maps when I need something not found on the GPS or when I want more details about the result (hours, reviews, web sites, amenities, etc.).

My SMH10 only has one A2DP connection so I'm paired phone>zumo>sena, which works fine for calls and text notifications. Using the phone as a music source inevitably means using the phone touch screen at some point, which is a hassle I prefer to avoid. The zumo SD card with 12Gb of music set to random shuffle is enough for me. Smartlink makes possible the weather alerts and radar, traffic updates and re-routing.

My phone log shows that Smartlink uses 398 Mb of internal storage, logging only 44 Mb of cellular data since April 4. The data usage was likely kept low for several reasons. Lately I've been a fair-weather rider, so no recent need for the weather radar on the bike. Riding mostly in rural areas, I recall only a few traffic alerts coming up, though I suppose the app still has to check for slowdowns when there are none. Most searches on cellular would have been logged to Google Maps (50.8 Mb since April 9, most of that using the phone as a GPS in the car). Whenever possible, I do my searches via free wi-fi, if not at home or motel, then at lunch stops, etc. Tell Smartlink to "Send" the co-ordinates to the GPS, and then Smartlink will save them, passing them to the GPS the next time it establishes the Bluetooth connection. So I can find a new destination while in a restaurant, and when I get back to the bike, the GPS will automatically receive the co-ordinates and ask if I want to set them as a new destination, or just add them to the existing route. Very convenient, with zero cellular data usage.
  7. Scruffy Nerf Herder

Scruffy Nerf Herder n00b

Oddometer:
    I have what is probably a silly question about the 396. From what I’ve read here it sounds like you hardwire the included harness into 12V and it handles the conversion to 5V to power the unit. If the 12V is not switched, ie wired directly off the battery terminals, will this slowly drain my battery even with the unit off or removed from the cradle? Does the cradle have a physical on/off switch ?
  8. bross

Oddometer:
    No on/off switch and I never bothered to test the draw of the cradle. Never worried about it as I always keep the bike plugged into a tender in the garage and was never an issue on our 2 week trip. If I get energetic I may move the cradle to a switched plug but I didn't have time before our trip so just ran it off the battery.

Found this on a BMW site, states no draw when the gps is unplugged:

Any parasitic power draw with a Garmin GPS?
    Just got a new Garmin Zumo 396LMT-S GPS, and I’m attaching its mounting hardware, cradle, and power cable to my ‘84 R100RT. Is there going to be a parasitic draw from my battery by the cradle or GPS that I should be cognizant of when I’m not using the GPS? I don’t need a GPS often to navigate, and if it’s going to be a significant power suck on the bike’s modest OE charging capabilities and battery, I could leave it un-wired, and just run it when needed off its internal battery. Any advice from the experienced farkle-adders out there would be helpful. Thanks.

When in the cradle there will be a little draw. My 660 cradle draws nothing when the GPS is not in the cradle.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?91989-Any-parasitic-power-draw-with-a-Garmin-GPS
    Scruffy Nerf Herder likes this.
  9. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I have 4 different bikes hardwired (unswitched) with a 12V to 5V converter and I have never had a problem with it draining the battery as long as the GPS is physically removed from the cradle.

If the GPS is in the cradle it will drain the bike battery over the course of 1 to 2 days even if the GPS is turned off
    Scruffy Nerf Herder likes this.
  10. Ahdogee4

Ahdogee4 n00b

Oddometer:
    FYI: I just now told my 396LMT-S to check for updates and it is downloading map 2020.20, very slowly.
    Download rate is only 7.8Mb/s, even though my ISP service is 10x that rate.
  11. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I am not finding this. My bike always has the GPS mounted and the cradle is wired direct to battery. I turn it off after a ride. Using a 396 now and 550 previously. This has included some month long dormant periods in the winter. To add, the 550 battery was toast so it would always be low when turned off.
  12. bross

Oddometer:
    Could be because you're actually turning the GPS off, not just letting it go to sleep.
  13. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 396 has no effect on battery drain as it is on a switched circuit.
  14. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Internet speed at our home at the top of Virginia using cellular service is a joke, especially when coupled with Verizon's "surf to your heart's content; you have unlimited data" scam. Nothing special up to 15G, then throttled back to painfully slow up & down levels. :dirtdog

So, knowing that, and already "throttled," I brought my new 396 with me to the Holiday Inn we are staying in tonight near Erie.

What?! I'm averaging 335KB/s download speed. Lordy. Four+ hours to go, if it'll sustain that pace. :(

I suppose I also do not understand -- tho that does not mean there is not some logical explanation, but just that I don't know it -- why a new GPS doesn't come loaded with the most recent maps instead of requiring purchasers to do it. Maybe if I had "real internet" I wouldn't whine so much. :augie

Thank you, Doctor; yes, I feel better now. And I'll feel even better after I go across the street for a beer (or two). :D

Bill
  15. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a 595 LM and the screen was really washed out anywhere but in the garage. It was basically useless for me. I called Garmin and they said "yeah, they do that". They want to trade me a 396 for my 595. The 595 was $700 and the 396 is $400. They say it's smaller but much clearer screen. I will have to uninstall my old GPS and install the new one. Am I getting hustled? Is the 595 really as bad as mine? Is the 396 really better? I have nothing to lose, I suppose.
  16. divotdm

divotdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a 595, get it tomorrow. The reviews for it either say its useless or acceptable in sunlight. Thats the first thing im gonna check. Itll go back if needed. Eager to hear responses
  17. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    good luck. nice feature set but if you can't read the screen...
  18. divotdm

divotdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im curious to see how it works in natural light. Its replacing a drivesmart 61 which is a car gps. I could see it fine (ok) on the bike but the rain took it out. I took a gamble it would be at least an improvement since its purpose built. Hopefully find out tomorrow
  19. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    The whole "see it" thing is why I have returned -- somewhat cheerlessly -- to Garmin after several years with a TomTom Rider.

I could never break the code such that I could actually see the foxtrotting thing while riding. Hoods, position, etc., nothing worked for me.

Thought the Rider's features better than many seem to think, but it doesn't matter if the display is so darn light that it is invisible.

Still, I'll try the 396 on one of my Guzzis before I pony up for new cable$ and mount$, etc., for all.

Bill
  20. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    At various times, I've used three phones and two GPS's on the bike and all have been hard to read at times, but I find it hard to blame the screens. Sun shades were ineffective because the problem was not caused by direct sunlight. The image was always overcome by the surface of the screen reflecting the sky or my jacket. Matte screen protectors did not help. The 100% sure cure was always to angle the device so that the reflection was of a black tank bag or a black jacket. One homemade "shade" worked because it was under the screen and provided a black reflection.

I'm mainly using the 595 now, and even with reflections from my Hi-Viz Turtle vest, I can always read the screen. The colors may appear a bit washed out, but text and lines are still distinguishable. I use the included Garmin HV theme which has good contrast even in bright light, except for wooded areas. The magenta path blends with green forest areas making the route near invisible, but modifying the theme with JaVaWa GPS-Tools to use a lighter green corrected that one problem.
    smbjm likes this.