New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Frankencycle

Frankencycle Margarita????

Oddometer:
    GPS City. Price changes constantly. Got mine at $280 then they were $319,now $249 go figure :dirtdog
    Screenshot_20190719-203009.png
  2. Shep

Shep Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Probably a dumb question but here goes: I have had a 396 for a while. I just typically use it to get me from point A to point B while wandering areas I'm unfamiliar with. It seems that no matter what navigation preference I set it on (fastest, adventure or shortest) it makes up the most out of the way routes. I can know I am only about 30 minutes from a destination and even on fastest route setting it will calculate a route that will take me 3 times that long. What am I doing wrong?
  3. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a sun shield but have found that either the standard theme has so little contrast to be un useable or the other ones leave features out. I will try the tool you referenced in attempt to improve the contrast.
  4. AL-n2it

AL-n2it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just used mine for the first time on a trip and experienced the same problem. My setting: Fastest, adventures OFF. It kept trying to send me to a route that would have added an hour to my trip home. It was about 70 miles and four "re-calculations" later that it recalculated to the route that I knew to be the fastest and the ETA dropped by on hour. I would also love to know what is going on with this thing.
  5. AL-n2it

AL-n2it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just switched it to "automobile" and it sends me on the route that is the fastest.
    To change this setting, go to the menu screen, touch the motorcycle icon in the gray header and then select automobile and save.

You will then need to double-check your settings, "navigation", "map and vehicle" as it appears to set them back to the default.
  6. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    You need to look at your routing profile. You can customize a lot of avoidances and preferences.
  7. Shep

Shep Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will try the automobile setting. The only routing customization and preference I had selected was avoide highways.
  8. Scruffy Nerf Herder

Scruffy Nerf Herder n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you find that the sun shield made an improvement, and do you have a brand or model for the one you use?
  9. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's your answer right there, obviously Garmin routing thought some of the roads you wanted it to take were highways, so it avoided them. I have all avoidance's unchecked and prefer it that way, unless for one specific reason on one specific ride I choose to make that avoidance. Doing it this way the garmin routing has been pretty predictable and wanted.
    Ocho NA likes this.
  10. Shep

Shep Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I was under the impressions highways was more about avoiding interstates. That how all my previous Garmins worked. They never made the crazy routes this one does. I’ll try it with auto selected and see how that goes.
  11. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The issue i have with the auto setting is on a small bump it then thinks you had an accident. I have not found a way to shut that off. On motorcycle it turns the sensitivity of the accident detection way down so it doesn't go off every 5 minutes.
  12. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I don't have a 396, but in all of my Garmin units, I find that Automobile is the only mode that creates routes that make any sense to me at all. The rest are all crazy.
  13. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it helped in some instances, but did not help if there was a lot of reflection from what I was wearing (summertime it is a burgandy mesh jacket). I made my own from black died leather (scrap from a Menonite leather goods shop) with Velcro "loop" sewn to it and Velcro adhesive-backed "hook" on the unit. Flexible enough to prevent injury should I slam into it, but stiff enough to self-support in the wind. The rough underside helps a lot.
    Spyrious likes this.
  14. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Could you share a pic? Thanks!
  15. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a very good picture, but.....
    WP_20190422_14_58_23_Pro%5B2986%5D.jpg
    slime and Spyrious like this.
  16. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I will have to make something similar, as it's difficult to see at times.
  17. Shep

Shep Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Auto setting worked for me. Thanks.
  18. slime

slime Healing nicely

Oddometer:
    I just bought that but haven't had a chance to use it...I was in at $249 so, yes!
  19. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The way I'm understanding this is the 396 has to be directly wired to the bike right? I have several bikes and don't want to have to buy separate mounts for each bike since they cost around $100. Is there any reason I can't splice the harness with an SAE plug and connect to the battery that way? Then I can just move the mount from bike to bike.
  20. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I did something similar for the exact same reason, but my bikes already had a 12V to 5V converter since I had previously been using a Nuvi 500. So I put a connector on the 5V side of the converter.

I decided against using an SAE plug because it would be too easy to plug 12V into my 5V GPS. I used these instead.

BTF-LIGHTING 5pairs 2 Core 2pin... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCV8DXQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

So far, so good. It is really easy to move the GPS from bike to bike.

Your idea will work just fine, but you will have to move the converter from bike to bike and find a place to hide it each time