New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I just put them in my cart.
    Is this the type of converter you're using?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-usb-port-adapter

The Zumo comes with a converter in the wiring harness right? If so I can use those connectors on the battery end (might have to add additional wire for length) and keep the converter that comes with the GPS wiring on the GPS end of the connection. Maybe I can use velcro on the converter to keep it in place on with ever bike I'm riding at the time. Does that make sense?:dunno :loco
  2. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    The 396 comes with a little converter built into the power supply (see below image). If you plan to swap between bikes you'll need to snip it somewhere in the line after the battery and before the converter (probably below fuse to keep fuse when you swap between bikes).

[​IMG]
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking. That pic helps.
  4. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    So I already had my bikes wired with 12V to 5V converters that had a USB plug for the Nuvi (similar) to this

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Hard...hardwire+kit&qid=1564540027&s=gateway&sr=8-17

I cut the USB plug off each of them and soldered on the connector that I recommended. Then I cut off the end of the 396 cable that goes to the mount and put the mating connector on it.

Here are some pictures

IMG_0007.jpg
    12V input to converter hardwired to battery. Actual converter is hidden out of the way under the gas tank

IMG_0008.jpg
    5V output of converter wired to connector near GPS mount

IMG_0009.jpg
    396 mount with mating connector

IMG_0010.jpg
    396 mount ready to roll connected to 5V converter

To move the GPS to a different bike, I simply unplug the connector, remove the 396 mount from the RAM ball, move to the other bike and reconnect.

Your idea saves you from needing multiple converters since you move that around, but then you need to find a place to mount the converter that is out of the way
    ride4321 likes this.
  5. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's probably the most logical way of doing it. Ordered the GPS last night and will figure it out once it gets here. Right now there's only 2 bikes in the garage so I'll probably set them up the way you have.
  6. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried custom maps on their device?
    I installed Garmin open street map http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
    On basecamp i can use the map no problem.I can see it on the device settings.When i only leave the open street map and the basemap enabled, i can not use it.On the view map screen there is nothing to see.
  7. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    FYI - The temp reading (coming via Smart Link app) is pretty useless IMO when you're riding in/out of areas that have poor cell coverage. Seeing as how Garmin makes a Tempe that would work perfect for this use I've asked them how it would be possible to add this onto a 595LM (not sure 396 has ANT+), so for those of use w/out temp gauges on our bikes can get reliable data.
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info here. Just wired up 2 of the bikes with the waterproof connectors. Now I can just move the cradle from bike to bike. Going to go to the hardware shop and see if I can find some type of caps to put on the bike end connection so it's not getting wet and dirty when the GPS isn't plugged in.

plug 1.jpg

plug 2.jpg

Picked up a couple of these at the electronics store that fit the thread. Trying to glue a zip tie on and see if it'll work as a cover. If not I'll search for rubber caps that'll friction fit over the male thread.

[​IMG]
  9. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    I paid $319 for a refurb....boo
  10. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read through a lot of this thread and I’m tempted by the 396 or 595.

I already have a Montana but it doesn’t have the software that make it better for road use. That costs $100 I think.

I use the Montana for more off-road riding on my DR and WR and will continue with that.

Im looking for a gps for my Super Tenere. Im trying to decide between spending the $100 on the Montana and use that on the ST or get this 396 for $250 and use it solely on my Tenere.

Anyone have insite on that ? Montana vs 396 for use on a Tenere that will clearly see more road use.

I think the TPMS and size is the only thing tempting me for the 595.
  11. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After some more research, answered my own question and concluded the 396 would be a much better unit for my Tenere... ordered one today.
  12. gary_a_gooner

gary_a_gooner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Want to purchase a dedicated GPS, and the 396 will probably be it.

I tried to go through all the posts, but there's really way too much going on. Just have a simple question. Will the 396 provide turn by turn navigation on a custom route created online? For example, I use RideWithGPS to create my routes. From my understanding and reading, I can then take the gpx file, and then upload it to the 396 using basecamp. But when viewing the route on 396, will I just be following a highlighted line or will I receive actual turn by turn (spoken) navigation?
  13. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll receive turn by turn spoken directions BUT it may not calculate the exact same route as you had laid out in RideWithGPS (RWG) depending on how many waypoints / shaping points are involved. RWG has it's routing algorithms, your Zumo has it's routing algorithms (also depending on settings: faster time, shorter distance, curvy roads, avoidances etc.), and for example Basecamp has it's own routing algorithms. If you just pick a destination in RWG and then export that there's no guarantee that your Zumo will calculate the exact same route.

I like to plan my route using whatever favorite mapping app I have available google maps, and or Basecamp but I also like to place strategic waypoints or shaping points to ensure that the route will stick to where I had it laid out.

Basically I don't trust or count on *any* of the routing algorithms and make sure my gpx file has enough strategically placed points that no matter what software or gps it gets loaded to it *WILL* calculate the route properly.

I would just test a couple of your common known routes, export from RWG, import to your Zumo and see if it stays the same.
    gary_a_gooner likes this.
  14. gary_a_gooner

gary_a_gooner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This, I don't understand. What is the point of importing the gpx file onto the Garmin if it's not even going to follow? On the Garmin, is there an option to load the route at which point you can follow and hopefully with TBT directions?

I would really appreciate if you could test some of my gpx files out. Let me know how/where to send?
  15. bross

Oddometer:
    I never said it wouldn't follow it, it *MAY* follow it exactly how you exported it, but as I explained, it also may not, depending on the settings on your device etc.

If you plot a route between two towns in RWG, it will be using the routing algorithms of RWG, which may be based on your settings in the app as well. Is it set to fastest time, shortest route, avoid interstates etc. Depending on the app, it may or may not use "shaping" points to follow that route based on *that* algorithm in *that* app. If it just used the starting point and ending point, then the Zumo will calculate the route based on *it's* algorithms and your settings: fastest, shortest etc.

Routes are based on algorithms which differ between every app and every device. That's why I suggested exporting a few and importing to the gps to see how they come across. They *may* do exactly as you planned which is great. But if they don't, it's no fault of the app or the device, it just means you need to spend a bit of time "forcing" the routes onto the roads you want, as I mentioned it's the way I do it.

Lots of trail riders who spend time on gravel roads etc. will export their route as a track, which is what you described in your first post. That is simply a line you follow with no prompting from the device and typically used for off road trail riding etc. They'll export the track as well as the route and have them both displayed on the device, that way they still get turn by turn directions based on the route, BUT if the route recalculates differently on the device, they'll see right away that they are diverting from *their* planned route (really a track) and can simply ignore the turn by turn and let the gps recalculate.

At work but will send a few links to some good reading.

http://www.globeriders.com/article_pages/article08_RTW/article08_rtw.shtml
    http://www.globeriders.com/article_pages/article02_gps/article02_gps.shtml

And even if you're not going to use Basecamp Ed's tutorials are very informative and helpful.

http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/GPS.htm
    gary_a_gooner likes this.
  16. gary_a_gooner

gary_a_gooner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Understood--much appreciated. So basically, it really depends and it's not guaranteed. The RWG app does provide TBT directions through the app and paid membership. I tried it for the first time this weekend and it worked really well, but would love for the same feature to be available on a dedicated GPS, such as the 396.

Where does basecamp come into play? I thought it was made for something like this?
  17. bross

Oddometer:
    Basecamp is just Garmins route planning software for the PC or Mac. You don't need it if you can send your gpx files to the Zumo from RWG. Some people hate it but once you get the hang of it, it works pretty well. You're also using the actual same maps as you will have loaded on your device so that's one more thing that could cause routing issues. Basecamp will also let you plan routes using the builtin routing of the gps like curvy routes etc. I like to use google maps for initial and big picture planning but usually just plan my routes in Basecamp. You can import any gpx file into Basecamp and modify it from there if you want.
  18. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    One word of caution related to BaseCamp and the actual Zumo device in terms of routing...I've found that the only way to guarantee the route you see in BaseCamp will be followed in your Zumo is to make both (BaseCamp and the Zumo) route via shortest distance. If you use fastest distance then traffic can come into play and cause issues as BaseCamp obviously can't anticipate traffic when it calculates the route on the PC/MAC. Also, make sure your route avoidances are set the same on both as that can also cause issues.
  19. motorchi

motorchi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As you’ve read above, it can definitely do what you want but it isn’t just drop and go with your GPX file. Especially if go off-route or try to add a new stop in the middle of your ride. I did my fair share of cursing at the 396 when I first got it since when it gets confused it just picks the fastest route. But I finally sat down and watched about an hour of tutorials online about Basecamp and now I’m fairly happy with the capabilities. There are a lot of subtleties about waypoints vs shaping points vs destinations that are worth learning.

Basic stuff is pretty easy, but the more advanced GPX routing work definitely takes some time investment to learn but can do all the routing I need.
  20. bross

Oddometer:
    My wife and I rode to UT and back from Canada in June. I had the whole route planned out in Basecamp and downloaded to my 396, but the last few days we decided to go a different way so each night I replotted our route for the next day but did it on the gps, using primarily finding and typing in waypoints. Twice it routed me to the interstate so used the Browse map to pick a point on my desired road.

As I was posting that link above to the NewEngland riders site I read the article on plotting a route directly on the 660. He primarily used the browse map and I think that would be easier so will give that a go next time.