New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    These routing anomalies are precisely why many users prefer “track” files. Track files lay on the road as if you took a sharpie to a paper map. It’s just “hi-lighting” the planned road. It’s up to you to keep the gps’s chevron on the route, or not. Note that some Garmin devices will not import a track, at least without some really cumbersome manipulation. If I recall, the 396 is one of those.
    gary_a_gooner likes this.
  2. gary_a_gooner

gary_a_gooner LOST

Oddometer:
    And this is why I joined this forum--lots of useful info and knowledgeable members. So if I use basecamp to plan my routes and export that to the 396, will it provide TBT directions?
  3. gary_a_gooner

gary_a_gooner LOST

Oddometer:
    I may just stick to RWG paid membership for now. I have it linked on my bluetooth and it announces upcoming turns/directions. It worked very well this past weekend. Hoping a dedicated GPS is made that can simply allow a custom/created route to be followed with TBT.
  4. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Routes yes, Tracks no.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  5. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just make sure Basecamp and the Garmin are set up the same way (motorcycle profile, shortest distance, etc). A tutorial should cover this.
  6. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    this is because the latest version of basecamp(mapinstall actually) does not install the complete non garmin map to the device .read about it here
    Spyrious likes this.
  7. gary_a_gooner

gary_a_gooner LOST

Oddometer:
    Here's a route I'm hoping to do on Saturday, weather should permit it: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31071556. I'd like to know if anyone with a 396 could see what it looks like if you load the gpx on it. RWG should allow you to export the gpx file, if not, let me know and I could send. You can also go to my profile and try any of the other routes available. FYI, the routes starting with "MC" are for motorcycles, everything else if for bicycling.
  8. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Thanks.I red about the issue on other forums as well.I install my maps manually now without any problems.
  9. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loaded this route onto my 396.

highpoint.png

highpoint.png 12441.png

13224.png

14709.png

RWG is probably not the best app to use to plan moto routes. The exported gpx file is just a track with many (way too many) via points. I exported the route as a gpx, and then imported to Basecamp (BC) because RWG will not export directly to the Zumo. It imports as a track, but is a simple right-click to convert to a route in BC, then sent that route to the Zumo. It sent to the Zumo fine but then when asked to import the new route on the Zumo, it couldn't because there were too many via points. Back to Basecamp and send the route to the Zumo again but this time specify just 50 via points (a lot still) and the route loaded fine on the Zumo. See the above screen shots.

So yes it works fine with a little help. The above steps only took 2 minutes so it's not really a pain. You could look into https://kurviger.de/en as a route planner or just do what I do and use BC.
    gary_a_gooner likes this.
  10. gary_a_gooner

gary_a_gooner LOST

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Bross. You’ve been very helpful.

Basically, what you’re saying is that I should just use BC to route my maps?

Also, whatever is loaded onto the 396 is just the tracks, right? Are there TBT directions available?

Guess, I need to read up on the some BC tutorials. I feel like I read Garmin gave up on BC and is moving onto a newer application for mapping. True?
  11. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess it's been covered somewhere in this thread but I didn't find it just flying over posts - how rugged is OEM cradle/mount? For off road use?

I was using Montana in Garmin's Rugged AMPS cradle mount and that worked very well, unit never slipped out of the cradle. Mount for 396 looks similar. Anyone is using it off road? How it performs? Is unit safe from popping out?
  12. bross

Oddometer:
    No, that is a route I loaded to the 396, as I mentioned it’s a simple right-click to convert a track to a route in BC. Garmin *may* be working on a replacement for BC but no idea when and they really don’t need to, BC works fine even with all the knashing of teeth you read about.

As I mentioned before I like to use Google maps for an overview or big picture view and to zoom in and out looking for places, roads etc but yes then I typically just build the route in BC. BC allows you to just click and drag to change your route along roads you want etc.
  13. bross

Oddometer:
    My 396 is my “road” gps mounted on my Griso so no experience off road but it seems like a decent cradle. You can mount the gps without having it locked in place, I make sure that hear the click so I know the gps is actually locked. I would think it would take a good knock or crash to dislodge. The Griso shakes like a wet dog at idle and it’s never fallen off.
    Perun likes this.
  14. motorchi

motorchi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the SW-Motech mounting kit which puts the Garmin right above the instruments. On many miles of off-road ranging from high-speed washboard to really technical single track, I didn’t have any issues with it popping out. This includes multiple drops. My only problem is that the in the really bouncy stuff, the mount would sometimes sag...but definitely no risk of it coming out.
    Perun likes this.
  15. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, exactly what I was interested in.
  16. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    manually? You mean not via basecamp?
  17. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Yes. I drop the. IMG files to the SD cards under garmin/maps. You can rename each so you know what is what.
  18. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes thanks I understand.This may be how i install my new/updated maps from now on.It will only be a matter of time before i inadverdantly install a new version of basecamp/mapinstall
    Spyrious likes this.
  19. bross

Oddometer:
    You can update your lifetime maps on the zumo directly over wifi.
  20. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    So I purchased my 396 hoping to use it to replace my 800. I loved my 800 but I used it mostly in areas where there is no cell service. My trip to Alaska next year will have me traveling through a lot of areas that have cell coverage so the 396 will probably be more useful and has less hardware associated with it then the 800 does. I had to modify the 800 so I could use a bluetooth transmitter so I could hear the commands through my headset. I have been waiting for my touratech mount for my 396 like I have used for my 800 to be able to actually give it a good test. One thing that I don't like is that I have noticed is that there are lots fewer options to display on the map. I use to love the option on the 800 that would list the distance to the next turn. That doesn't seem to be available like it is on the 800 along with many other entries. Saying that, it does do many other things that I think are going to be very useful. A question. Does anyone use the foursquare option? Is is useful?