New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I had one of the original Zumo's a million years ago, but lately I've been using my old Moto X4 running Locus and Google Maps. That's been working ok, but not perfect. I'm just poking around on a DRZ these days, mostly dirt roads, so my needs aren't too extreme right now. I've been watching prices on the 396 and it came up $249 today at The GPS Store. A promo popped up on Google Express for $20 off, so I ended up ordering it for $229. I'll still keep the X4 in my tank bag for more precise navigation needs.
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    So I took my Zumo out along with my 800. I was able to jury rig my 396 and also overcome my non working Cardo headset. I was very pleasantly surprised. I was getting alerts about texts and it was reading them to me. It also gave me speed warnings and curves etc. It also DOES have the distance to the next turn as part of the header. Granted it looks silly but at least it got me out using it. I was happy with it. I have the Touratech holder coming tomorrow like the one for the 800 and plan on installing it and wiring it up permanent. I still love the 800 but I am thinking that this 396 will work out pretty well. One thing though. Without the power supply wired in and a full battery I think it lasted a little over an hour. More as I use it more.

TwoGPSs.jpg
    JP4 likes this.
  3. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    OK. Installed with the new mount. Also installed a Wolfman tank bag I bought a couple of years ago but really wasn't sure how I was going to install it. It's installed and I am going to try it out and see how it works. That other bag and I have been a lot of places and done a lot of things so I will see if I keep the Wolfman.

The 396 mount by Touratech is very nice. The old mount for the 800 was nice but I like this design better. For one thing I don't need to lock the Garmin holder with a special screw to keep the Garmin mount locked even when the Touratech mount is locked. I use to have to do what with the 800 mount because not doing that, you could actually get the 800 out of the mount. This mount not only locks the Touratech mount but also prevents the Garmin mount from being opened while it is closed.

Looking forward to using it more.
    Garmin396Installed.jpg TankBag&GPS.jpg
  4. bnschroder

bnschroder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to confirm: The 396 does not allow showing basic .gpx tracks as line on the map. I guess I am glad my 660 is still working (somewhat).
  5. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:

That is incorrect. The 396 will do exactly what you have described
  6. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what you mean. I uploaded a .gpx and imported it into the 396 and used it.

KR
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My apologies in advance if a couple of these issues for Garmin Zumo 396 have been covered.

I purchased my 396 device during July 4th sale. Haven't used it much. I finally got to use it last week during 800 mile ride through Pennsylvania . I used some of my Custom Routes I created with Basecamp. I am a heavy Basecamp user. I used mostly shaping points on my routes; they are set not to announce.

During the ride, I noticed:

- My 396 missed navigating to shaping point in few places. I thought the Garmin rule is to navigate to all Waypoints and Shaping points. Does some new setting override this??

- My 396 had me routed on some sketchy routes and unpaved roads. Not fun with fully loaded F800GS.

- I am not 100% sure. But, it seemed like my shaping points ( dots ) wouldn't appear on my screen during navigation. I know I can see them in the Preview Map before I click Start.

As I got up to Wellsboro, PA, I started playing around with my Avoidances, Vehicle type...Motorcycle vs. Automobile, and Adventure Riding setting. I tried to replicate my settings on 396 to be same as my Zumo 350 ( Motorcycle, Fastest, Avoid Highway, Avoid U turns, Avoid Ferry. But, it seemed like the 396 had some other routing algorithm in mind.

Is there anyway to take the 396 to route like a normal GPS and only just avoid Interstate and Unpaved roads?

I noticed the 396 lets you set different Profile and Avoidance setting for Motorcycle vs. Automobile. Similar to the Zumo 350.

I think the Zumo 350 has been discontinued. But, I love the device. I would buy another one.
  8. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I have been playing with mine now for a while and have been thoroughly enjoying mine. I came from the Montana 800 and I loved and still love that device.

I not an expert but I am pretty sure I noticed some settings during route transfers from Basecamp that included a check box for shaping points being sent to the device or not. If you can't find that let me know and I will search for it.

It appears to me that all the different settings for avoidance's are all settable depending on the profile you have set. I believe that all of that is definable in the profile. Speaking of avoidance's, this device has many new ones that I didn't have on the Montana, like dirt roads and a bunch of other ones that I didn't have before. I am sure it uses the same data to route to areas with dirt roads for the adventure part if that is set as well.

All in all I am very happy with this device. The Montana, as much as I love it, will now be my backup GPS.

KR
  9. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This afternoon, I matched my profiles for both my Zumo 350 and 396. Then I picked a waypoint / city that I am familiar with. I compared the two routes on each device. I noticed they are not exactly identical. Slightly off.
  10. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    Same maps? You aren't using 'fastest route' are you?
  11. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like I need to do a Zumo 350 update to City Navigator NT map. All my profile settings are identical. I double checked. I'll keep you posted once I update my City Navigator NT maps to be same on both devices.
  12. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    If I’ve plotted a route on Basecamp, I’ll also convert it to a track. I load both route and track to my 396 so I have a backup if the routing goes haywire
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  13. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    >>Is there anyway to take the 396 to route like a normal GPS and only just avoid Interstate and Unpaved roads?<<
    Exactly. If my Streetpilot 2730 would just hold newer maps without cutting them down, I'd go back to it. I know that there are 396 fanboys, but I'm not one. I paid too much for it to change now, though (bought in January before Garmin dropped $100 off the price). I try to use mine each ride to gain more experience (looking a bit silly riding to th PO with it announcing). Wish the craddle locked like the Garmin Streetpilot 2730 one does, too. Security screw is enough deterent to stop a walk-by theft. Why didn't they design it with that as an option?
  14. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I thought there was, easily. I will try it and check back after I test it.

KR
  15. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 6000 mile ride using the 396 as the primary navigation device.

I never noticed an instance where the GPS did not route to a shaping point. In fact, these points show up as small circles on the map while navigating.

I’m not sure what you mean by “routing like a normal GPS”, but if you set it to fastest and tell it to avoid highways and unpaved roads, it seems to route like most Garmin Nuvis. In my experience most GPS units do a poor job of avoiding unpaved roads because the database of these roads is in error.

The quirkiest thing that I saw my trip was that the guy I was traveling with had an identical unit with the same maps and preferences set and the two units would sometimes route differently.

All in all the 396 worked great
  16. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    Were either of you using 'fastest route' and had the smartphone link setup, so one had live traffic and the other did not?
  17. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Good to know the shaping points do appear on the Zumo 396 as you approach them.

I've logged about 40K mile a Zumo 350. Moreover, I was recently traveling along some routes which I am familiar with. I used Basecamp to create Custom Routes. Upon traveling the same route, I noticed the Zumo 396 was taking me a different way. I am not 100% sure if my primary routing option was set to something different that my Zumo 350. But anyhow, the 396 was doing some other routing algorithm between shaping points.

I guess the next time I go on a trip, I'll have to synch both my Zumo 350 and 396. Only then can I be 100% sure whether the routing algorithm are identical.

Otherwise screen resolution and brightest looks pretty much identical between two models; old and new.
  18. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Well that’s a good question that I had not thought about. I did have Smartlink and my buddy did not. However it did this in Canada where I did not have any data as I recall.

You may be on to something.
  19. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

I am not sure what you mean about normal GPS route's but under avoidance's you can definitely pick interstates and unpaved roads if you wish to avoid those.

KR
  20. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish you could pick unpaved roads as a preference!
    Spyrious and motorchi like this.