1. eNewsletter Sign Up

New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On mine, you cannot pick interstates, only highways.
  2. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can pick "highways" to avoid. You can't pick "interstates". Which sucks.
  3. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    You should be able to use Custom avoidance and use "add avoid road" - maybe?
    I would think that would work but haven't tried it.

KR
  4. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you ever tried selecting an entire interstate (or near many cities, several interstates)? And, you have to select either the correct direction (or both) with your FINGER? I could avoid Major Highways on the old StreetPilot 2730 - not so on the 396. I get the feeling Garmin is investing all development in wearables, and the road instrument people have retired.
  5. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Like I said. I HAVEN'T tried it. I saw it as a possible solution. At some point I will probably try it so I guess at that point I will know.

I don't know why Garmin doesn't have that as an option. Doesn't seem to be difficult to implement. I am wondering if they will have an update at some point that would include that.

KR
  6. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I have just loaded the OSM on my 396 but haven't tested it. I can tell you that I had the OSM routable on my Montana 800. If I had both the Garmin maps and OSM routable maps active. Whenever I tried to set a destination. The unit would calculate the route, and then immediately try to re-calculate the route. It would do this continually, the entire time. I had to disable the OSM maps. I believe, but didn't try disabling the Garmin maps and using the OSM maps but I thought that I could have disabled either one. I believe it was switching back and forth and constantly recalculating the route but never really tested that theory other than disabling the OSM maps.

KR
  7. co.dirtbiker

co.dirtbiker Motorcycle Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had trouble with the "search near me" functions?

When I first received my new 396 it was working as you would expect for finding POIs near my location (at home). But when I was on a trip on the COBDR a few weeks ago, in certain areas it would seem to pick a completely random location to use as my current location and all the results would be hundreds or even thousands of miles away. It wasn't a case of not having a signal...it showed right where I was on the map. Rebooting, moving to a different location, manually picking a location on the map...nothing would show me results from where I really was. Most of the time it showed me POI's in Montana, but not always the same location. It was consistently wrong as long as I was in the northwest part of Colorado.

But then at other times when I'd be in a significantly different area (such as in Wyoming, or when I got back home again) the results would be correct again.

Last week I was on another trip in the Leadville area and the results were all crazy again just trying to show nearby cities. I was getting cities in Japan that were 5000+ miles away! WTF?

Something is totally screwed up and it makes this thing pretty much useless if you are trying to do any sort of searching. I can't count on it at all. If this is a unique problem to my unit, maybe I need to see if I can return it or get it repaired. Or maybe wipe all the maps and POIs and reload them...is that even possible?

Anybody else experienced anything similar?
  8. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you load any maps? I had a Nuvi that went all schizophrenic on me when I loaded an OSM map, really weird routing etc. Finally figured out it was because I had the OSM map active. Removes the OSM map and it started functioning properly again.
  9. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

See my post at:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-garmin-zumo-396.1293919/page-20#post-38538259

KR
  10. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Well some good news. This doesn't just apply to the 396 but for me it was a breakthrough so I thought I would share.

I have always not been happy with the way searching for POI's are done for POI's that are custom loaded by me. I can now load my POI's and have categories so I can search just for those if I want. As with most things its easy once you figure it out. I have been writing a program for a while now to load POI's such as the ADV tent sites that the ADVers share along with Abandoned areas, Ghost towns and KOA sites and some other POI's that have lots of useful information on my trip to Deadhorse and Tuk next year. I have a short write-up that I can share. Its more of an outline but if you know how to make or modify a .GPX, all you need is POILoader and place the file in the POI directory.

I am very happy with the way this turned out.

KR
    Spyrious likes this.
  11. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may be misunderstanding this but I have always been able to use categories with Custom POIs (Z550, Z990 & Z590) by using subfolders in the POI file. I believe the devises recognize two levels of subfolders.
    POIs (with Z550, Z660 & Z595)
  12. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

That didn't work for me on the 396 and I never tried it on the 800. I tried several different ways to do it that didn't appear to work from Basecamp. So are you saying all you did was put sub-folders under the POI directory and loaded the GPX file into it and it worked? Would each Category would have the names of the sub-directories?

KR
  13. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I followed the instructions at POI factory and managed to create 3 categories and assigned each a custom icon.

I believe that this is the instructions that I followed.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/2572
  14. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I had found several things online between Garmin and POI-factory but most didn't seem to work for me. I couldn't tell with what you referenced what specific thing I was supposed to read.

KR
  15. hbarclay

hbarclay n00b

Oddometer:
    I've had the same issues and I'm on an R1200RT. I hope they fix this soon because I don't always have the will power to just turn around. Usually turns out to be fun but not always. I'm getting too old to keep picking this thing up.
  16. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Not trying to annoy anyone with this subject but I just wanted to make sure I was talking about what others said they were doing with no problem.

Here is what I have done that I couldn't make happen before without some trial and error and looking for information on the internet that seemed to be thin at best.

I had never had the POI's that I created and loaded on the GPS to be able to display in its own category. They would show up on the map but could be found only if I knew the name.

Now, under the Custom POI...
    27958.png

I have my own categories which I find very useful

28922.png
    I can pick specific people in those categories and actually can get the extra information attached to them as needed.

30427Redacted.png

As well as have whatever icon associated with them as I want. That is not a big deal.

31505Redacted.png

If others have had no problem doing this then I wish I had asked here first.

KR
    GreatWhiteNorth and Spyrious like this.
  17. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I did was create a POI folder on my harddrive called POIs. In that folder I set up subfolders for various categories. Within some of those subfolders I added additional subfolders to break it down further. So for example one of the folders is Food. Within that folder are 24 subfolders like: Diners, Diners Drive Ins and Dives, Coffee, BBQ, Burger Joints, German Restaurants, Lobster Pounds, Pie etc. To load them I use POI loader and load the entire POI folder. Each of the main and sub categories show up in the device with the name of the file. When I tap Custom POIs a list of the main categories opens, and I can tap any of the main categories to bring up a list of the subcategories in that main category. So, I can search Food, or I can tap Food and scroll through the subcategories and search only BBQ for example.

I currently have 18 main categories, almost countless subcategories and around 170,000 custom POIs.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  18. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    What are your actual data files? .GPX or .CSV? Thanks for the information. This is much clearer to me now and is even more useful.

KR
  19. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I maintain the data on my computer as GPX files using a combination of Mapsource, Extra Poi Editor and Basecamp.
    I also use custom icons and audio alerts in bmp & mp3 formats respectively.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  20. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Yeah. That is one of the things that caused problems. I would have thought that including certain commands in the .GPX would have allowed you to do everything through Basecamp when the file is imported. That is not the case which added to the difficulty and tracking problems to organize this.

It appears I am doing it the only way that it can be done. I haven't done any custom mp3's yet but do have custom icons included.

Thanks for letting me know. It sounds like I am doing it the only way that it can be done.

Thanks again for the info.
    KR