New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. co.dirtbiker

co.dirtbiker Motorcycle Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I haven't loaded any maps, but I did load a custom POI database from http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com. Searching those POIs does the same thing as searching for built-in POIs like cities. (that's how I first noticed the problem was searching for nearby campgrounds)

Maybe I should try removing it and see if it clears up. Of course the problem is that it only seems to happen when I am miles from home. Snow coming in a couple days so it may be a while before I can get out to test it. :-/
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I just got a Garmin 396 and I'm a tech-idiot. I played with the unit and searched the (useless) Garmin manual and did a Google search and a search of this forum and couldn't find any answer to what I thought was a simple question (with I hope a simple solution): How do I send GPX files to the 396 using wi-fi? I own a Chromebook computer (i.e. no hard drive) and an iPhone 6. Example: I want to load a GPX file someone posted on this thread (https://advrider.com/f/threads/trans-mass-trail.372063/page-2#post-9462760) So can someone, in plain English, tell me what I have to do? Thanks in advance!
  3. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    You can’t. You have to load them via BaseCamp or via PC directly to Zumo. You can share GPXs with another 396, but pretty sure that’s via BT and not WiFi...
    flei, CavReconSGT and smbjm like this.
  4. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Cru Jones said. The Wifi is for updating the firmware and loading map updates without using a computer. When connected to a Wifi network the devise will display a notice if firmware or map updates are available. GPX files need to be loaded via USB, micro SD card, or can be shared via Bluetooth from another Bluetooth enabled Garmin GPS.
    flei and CavReconSGT like this.
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for answering and, shit! shit! shit! I thought I had read that one could load GPX files direct via wi-fi which is the main reason I bought the 396 to replace my 660!!! Damn it!! Well at least I can update my maps and software now... but apparently I still have no way to import routes (except via Bluetooth from another Garmin?).

Anyone have any ideas if there is any possible way to somehow load GPX files from my Chromebook? I can download GPX files (and they open fine in GPS Visualizer) but can't download Base Camp onto the Chromebook since it isn't Windows OS, right? Is there any way to do some sort of file conversion online so that the file can then be downloaded to the 396 via wi-fi?

Or what about loading GPX files on my iPhone (I already have some that I use in MotionX, etc.) and then sending them to the 396 via Bluetooth?

And, btw, how the heck do i send anything to or from the 396 with Bluetooth?

BTW, I have tried to Google search for answers to these questions but am not smart enough to figure out most of what I am reading.

Sorry I am so tech-unsavvy!! And thank you to any who offer advice.
  6. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    Can you run POILoader on Chromebook? That should allow you to transfer .gpx files to the 396.

KR
    flei likes this.
  7. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just copy the gpx files to a micro sd card that you then insert into the 396. When you fire up the 396 it will see the gpx files and ask if you want to import them. If the chromebook doesn't have an sd card reader, you can buy one for around $20. I don't have my 396 with me, away from home currently but I think you just create a gpx folder??? Just google that or someone will be along with the answer.
    flei likes this.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Don't think so? Garmin says POILoader loads to Mac or Windows OS. A Chromebook runs Chrome OS.
  9. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Yep. I couldn't remember if it would run on Chrome, which I think is a form of Android but I could be wrong on that also. Bross might have the only solution at your disposal.

KR
  10. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Stay with me here, I'm slow.....

So I buy something like one of these? https://www.amazon.com/Reader-Lapto...t=&hvlocphy=9001664&hvtargid=pla-729017594866

Then I plug it into my Chromebook's USB port and then transfer the GPX files I want from the Chromebook onto the SD card, then put the SD card into the 396 and it should work? i.e. I will have the routes I downloaded show up on the 396 in usable form?
  11. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Abso-freking-lutly.

That should work. No problem. I say that assuming that the USB drive will be recognized as another drive. You would know that better than I. I assume it would be like a drive letter added like it would on Windows.

KR
    flei likes this.
  12. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Well I do not know that the Chromebook will recognize the USB drive (with SD card reader), and even if it does I'm not sure how to send a file to it. (believe it or not, i do know how to do a lot of this stuff on a Mac or a PC, but i no longer use either of those). I'll go find some Chromebook forum to figure that part out. Thanks everyone for your advice!
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  13. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Let us know how you make out.

KR
  14. bross

Oddometer:
    Yes, that will work. I just need to check to see what folder you need to put the file into.
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for checking on that. The "folder" you are referring to will be on my Chromebook, or on the SD card? Does the SD card need to be formatted? If so, do you know how i would do that?

Again, sorry for all the questions. I am a very new user of Chrome OS and it is quite different than Mac or Windows.
  16. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Lucky that it is cheap to buy an SD reader and card to try (less than $20).
    I will post up my results.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  17. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your Chromebook has a usb port you can transfer the file through that without the need for the sd card. Plug the gps into the usb port and see if it's recognized. If it is, copy & paste the file to the gps in the GPX folder. If it's is a route you can get to it via the Tripplanner App, if it's a track you need to turn tracks on and go through the Track App to get to it.
  18. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Mine has started to show some issues.I have also installed the osm map for my country.When i search for a destination it just doesn't show any results and hangs .I disabled all custom maps and it still does this.I also did a settings reset,nothing changed.I can only find results in osm maps.Also when i follow a route i set,during the drive it suddenly recalculates the route and hangs at 80% or so doing nothing.
  19. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    OMG that worked! YOU DA MAN!! :beer (And who knew it was so darn easy :rofl).

Now, since y'all are so good at this, how about some other questions that resulted from what ended up on the 396?

(IGNORE THIS! I figured it out! Guess I'm not as dumb as I though i was!)Files that transferred in as Routes opened in Tripplanner and look just great (we shall see how they work when i actually try to ride using them)! Files that transferred in as 'tracks" can be viewed in the Track App but of course they cannot be followed using turn-by-turn directions from the GPS (like you can do with routes); is there a way to convert tracks to routes (without Basecamp)?

((IGNORE THIS- I figured it out): Also, though some tracks appear as named (e.g., Hampster Ride) and show the entire length of the ride, a large number of short sections of the tracks also showed up (e.g., a file called "Hill Rd." that shows a one mile section of that road); can you explain why that happened?))

BTW, if i am asking all these questions in the wrong part of this forum, please feel free to re-direct me to where i belong.

Thanks again to all who responded with attempts to help me!! :thumb
    smbjm likes this.
  20. bross

Oddometer:
    Get out there and ride. Glad you got it working and thanks smbjm for stating the obvious.