New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Ok, I think I might have a workaround for you guys to avoid interstates and highways. Assuming you have your navigation set to "fastest time" you could go into your activity profile in basecamp and set the speed limits for highways as super low (like 5 mph), so they would never be the fastest way.

The types of roads you can set speed limits for are:

Interstates
    Major highway
    Other highway
    Collector road
    Residential street

Activity Profile Route Options
    You can customize how the software calculates routes for each activity profile. For example, you can require the route to use roads for a driving profile, and you can calculate only off-road routes for a hiking profile.

Select Edit > Options > Activity Profile > Routing, and select an activity profile from the drop-down list.

Route Preference
    Sets the route calculation method for routes using roads. The Faster Time option calculates routes that are faster to travel. The Shorter Distance option calculates routes that are shorter in distance. The Curvy Roads option calculates routes that prefer curving roads for more scenic motorcycle routes.

Elevation Mode
    Allows you to minimize the ascent for off-road routes.

Road Type Avoidances
    Allows you to define the types of roads to avoid in routes.

Feature Type Avoidances
    Allows you to define the types of features to avoid in routes. For example, you can avoid toll roads, climbing paths, or narrow trails.

Area Avoidances
    Allows you to define the specific areas to avoid in routes.

Speed
    Allows you to set your average speed for different types of roads.

Muddler and CavReconSGT like this.
  2. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    Do the settings for the profiles actually transfer over to the Garmin outside BaseCamp? I was operating under the assumption they didn’t, but I haven’t really tested it.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for your help everyone! I sure WISH i could have got out riding today; it was gorgeous and likely the warmest day here until Spring! However, the chore list was long and arduous, including splitting and stacking 4 cords of wood, which then got interrupted by having to install a new submersible well pump. At least we have water now. Tomorrow is supposed to rain hard all day; but Monday looks nice! :photog But Monday I have to split wood. :( Etc. Etc.

It sucks to be retired and still not have as much time to ride as I would like. But it's still better than working. :jkam
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  4. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the Basecamp profiles only affect how BC calculates the route. But as long as you don't let the GPS recalculate the route, it should not matter.
  5. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    So, editing the profile in BC won’t change how the GPS calculates fastest route. IMO fastest route is only useful if you don’t care how you get to the end point, which for me is not very often. I always use shortest route in BC and GPS, so route stays consistent.
  6. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to know why setting road type avoudance to highways has no effect. Even if set for fastest, it should avoid highways unless that is the only way. We should not have to set interstate speed to 5 mph to fool it into proper operation. I didn't have to do that in Mapsource and the old StreetPilot.

And Garmin continues to release a new "wearable" weekly.
    ohgood likes this.
  7. MCole

MCole Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up a Zumo 396 and am having trouble playing navigation audio over a headset.

No issues with music, but navigation and other "system" sounds such as the button sounds etc. won't play over my headphones connected to either a bluetooth receiver (taotronics br010 w/ bluetooth 4.2) or my Galaxy S8+.

Any ideas? My 550 had zero issues and here we are 10 years later...
  8. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the Bluetooth page there are icons to select what function goes to each paired device.
  9. MCole

MCole Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I go under "Settings" then "Bluetooth" I see both devices. The taotronics BT receiver has the "media streaming" icon lit up, my phone has "Smart notifications", "Smartphone Link features and services" and "Media streaming" lit up. It doesn't give me the option to change any of these.

Feel like I'm missing something obvious...
  10. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick question
    Hope this is the right place
    On my 396
    I have tracks in the app /track folder
    If I click on " convert to trip"
    Will it alter or move the original track file in the track icon?
    Or does it just save another variation ie:(start to finish/ finish to start) in the trip planner app?
    Tia
  11. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went thru some pages here but did not see the answers I'm looking for. I may miss it or not, but... can anyone reply on these simple questions? -

A. Does 396 accepts more than 29 via points per route?
    B. Does it have an option to record a route you're travel on? (not necessarily if navigating on it)
    C. Can you reverse a route?
    D. Does it insists on going back to the via point if you missed it? (via was not exactly placed on route, etc.)
    F. If you need to get off the route for say, gas or food, will it ask you if to add it as a via point, or it will end the route and route you to a new destination?

Also, from what I read above, if you cancel your route, in order to start back on it, you should navigate to the nearest via first, or drop a pin on the route to continue further.
    My old Nuvi 1490 will just ask if I want to navigate from the start. If I say "no", than it will just lead me to the route via shortest way. It does all I need except reversing or recording, and has no "curvy" or "adventures roads" option. These 3 can get handy at times. So that's mainly the reason I'm looking into 396.
  12. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A. Yes and No. You are limited to 29 via points in a route but you can have up to 125 (IIRC) shaping between each via point. So you can have something like 3,750 points in a route.

B. Yes

C. Not directly, especially if you you have any route points on a divided highway, but you can sometimes get away with re-ordering the first and last points then optimizing the route. Not ideal though.

D. Yes But... it will direct you back to via points but not shaping points. Also there is a feature to skip points that really makes this a non issue.

E. When you search for say a gas station, it gives you the choice of adding the waypoint to the current route or starting a new route.

Generally you will find the 396 (Tripplanner software) will behave differently than your Nuvi 1490 (Routeplanner software) when you go off route. I generally do things slightly differently than what you describe when I go off route. I most likely will not let the gps recalculate the route and manually navigate back to the original route. I say generally because there have been an occasion or two where I have dropped in a new waypoint precisely where I have wanted to rejoin the original route.
  13. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you sm for a good reply.
    When you say "there is a feature to skip points that really makes this a non issue." (under D?) Is it under a settings options or a pop up on screen asking you if to skip this particular via?

Another thing is I read several times that the unit freezes or turns off by itself. Did you experience that?
    I had exactly this happening with Montana, and was very unpleasant especially when I needed it most.
  14. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The skip function is: tap wrench icon, tap change route and select point to skip.

Can't address the random freeze issue.
  15. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhat related... Shaping points can be edited on the GPS to become via points. I tend to keep via points to a minimum so I don't have to listen to as many announcements, but that reduces my options if I'm off route and the GPS is recalculating a route back to the nearest via point. Changing one of the many shaping points gets me back on the original route more quickly.
    smbjm likes this.
  16. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks sm, Ik. for clarifying. Now I have an idea about this nav. Maybe it'll get on sale during holidays so I could get and try it in out.
  17. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or you can drop a pin by the route and navigate there. Then continue the route.

What I like about the old Garmins is that it leads you to the route, not a via point, and continues ones you on it. It doesn't have shaping points but won't insist on riding to the via if you passed it off route. It won't divide a route into 2 routes when over 29 via points.
  18. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
  19. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, good deal! Does it come with the cradle or it will work just from a power cable? (not the case with Montana).
    It says comes with "Motorcycle mount and RAM mount hardware" not sure what it is.
  20. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    It comes with the powered cradle that it snaps into. It also comes with a short RAM mount handlebar clamp that attaches to the cradle. These go on sale constantly. I got mine via Google Express from The GPS Store for $230 delivered.
    2WheelieADV likes this.