New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Toss the old Garmin, and use the phone. no more Bluetooth, routing, recalculating, track to long, etc issues
    scootertrog likes this.
  2. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    And no wiring mess!
  3. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've tried to use the phone but for various reasons it's not the same as a dedicated unit.
  4. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to ask on the Zumo users forum: https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/
  5. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Anyone experience problems updating the operating system software AND maps? I bought a new 396 from gpscity.ca on-line - had it in my hands in less than 24 hours from the time I placed the order! I've got 3 other Garmin units, two Nuvis and a GPSMAP64, so pretty familiar with updating and transferring files. I wanted this motorcycle specific unit for its waterproofness, compatibility with topo maps, and the ability to display an imported track line. I did the normal plug it in to my (Windows 10) laptop, registered the device, and used Garmin Express to proceed with updates. The operating system update hung up, so I disconnected, tried again, same thing. After several attempts, I connected directly to router via Wi-Fi, and it updated the operating system, but said go back to PC map update using Garmin Express! So I did that, got 30% thru the map updates (Canada & US City Navigator) and it froze again. I disconnected and reconnected several times, just couldn't get any file transfer progress, even letting it sit connected overnight! With nothing to lose I tried another Wi-Fi update... and it worked! Quirky glitchy shouldn't be happening stuff.

Other than that, the unit itself seems to be operating fine now.
  6. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope you're crossing the border to use your topo maps. The only Zumo that supports the topo Canada maps is the 665. I haven't had any problems updating my 396 and just did the latest firmware and map update through the device itself, while plugged into a usb charger, worked fine and was pretty quick but we have fibre internet to the house.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  7. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    I had no problem installing the Topo Canada maps, and they enabled fine - disable City Navigator, enable Topo... I have an unlocked DVD tho... snagged one at MEC before they stopped selling 'em.
  8. bross

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I actually bought a download Topo Canada to install on my 660 and it wouldn't install or enable. Called Garmin and they said the 660 wasn't supported and allowed me to return it. Maybe your DVD copy is the key, glad it works for you.
  9. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Hey Bross, that's interesting. I notice that there are a lot of Garmin units that aren't topo map compatible, or have "limited" topo map support (won't display properly), but the 396 is topo map compatible, why I bought it actually. I found this on-line, at gpscity:

The Garmin Topo US 24K maps are listed on Garmin's website for the Zumo 396 LMT-S
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/610131/pn/010-02019-00#maps

The Garmin Topo 24K maps can be found at GPSCity at the following link.
    https://www.gpscity.com/search/q=24k

When using 2 different map products that overlap in coverage area (City Navigator NT North America an Topo 24K maps), it is recommended to only enable 1 map at a time in the map settings.

Edit - I found this additional information HERE: "While the zumo devices are compatible with TOPO mapping products (with the exception of European TOPO mapping), they were not designed for optimized use together. For this reason, the zumo may not display as much TOPO detail as an outdoor device would."
  10. bross

Oddometer:
    I have the Topo 24K for Western US for when we go south installed on my 660 as that was the unit I owned at the time and usually the one I have mounted on my DR650, we take our DRs when we go south. Don't do a ton of actual trail riding down south but wanted the topo just in case we saw a dirt road that we wanted to follow.

I had bought the US topo map and installed successfully so I didn't even check to see if the Canada topo was supported??? Why does the US map work but not the Canada map???

I've kinda moved on from Garmin and actually my Delorme PN-60W as my outdoor gps. I was looking at handhelds when I stumbled on a phone app called Gaia gps. Installed that on my iphone and won't be looking for another handheld gps, this app works so well and is way cheaper than spending $300 on topo maps and $$$$ on another handheld gps.
  11. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Bross, supposedly these Backroad Mapbook maps, preloaded on microSD cards work well - they are expensive tho:

https://www.backroadmapbooks.com/gps-maps
  12. bross

Oddometer:
    I have access to those on that Gaia gps app.
  13. commando57

commando57 n00b

Oddometer:
    How do I reset fuel range if the box doesn't pop up?
  14. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
    Another significant issue in using the TOPO with the 396 is that you cannot simply toggle between topo or city map like you can on handhelds. That’s a royal PITA went you are in the middle of nowhere and are trying to figure different ways to get from your current location to somewhere out in the boondocks where you’ve never been before.
    FYI, you cannot display both city map and topo at the same time on the 396.
  15. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    I've not even taken my unit out on the road yet, just playing with it in the house... I just turned the unit on, checked map settings, found no maps enabled!? Yet it displayed the streets in our neighborhood OK, so that's gotta be City Navigator (you'd think). I enabled Topo Canada maps again, ensuring City Navigator & Foursquare were disabled, worked fine. Maybe it defaults back to City Navigator or something? Quirky device.