New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    I just assumed it knew it was in the dock by where it received power?
    I use this in my car also with the mini USB plug from my other Garmin.
    The fuel minder system does not function and as I said, when it lost contact while in the dock and went to internal battery fuel minder doesn’t work.
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

Well I checked my holder just before I shipped the bike out for service. I was apparently thinking of the old holder for my Montana. This mount only has two connectors so it only gets power from those two wires when in the mount. No signal wires are available. So either its because its powered from that connector or the voltage. I was totally off base.

KR
  3. yowcapt

yowcapt Roaming earth...

Oddometer:
    Have a look here for guidance on loading 3rd party OSM on your 396 https://advrider.com/f/threads/no-detail-on-garmin-when-trying-to-use-osm-map.1378503/#post-39260768
    Spyrious likes this.
  4. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a brand new 396lmt-s, I was wondering if it's normal for it to only charge when the unit is on? No matter the charging source it'll only charge when it's on.
  5. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen that happen. Why do think this? Is it hooked up to the cradle or serial port?

KR
  6. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was dead yesterday so I used the supplied cable and charged it all night with it off, turned it on this morning, still dead. So I have the car cradle and cable, plugged it into the car (with unit off) this morning for about an hour before going to work, checked when I got in the car, still dead. Then I left the unit on with it charging while I drove to work, got to work, it was charged.
    I haven't had it on the motorcycle cradle much yet, it's winter here.
  7. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Oh. I didn't notice till now. You are up the street. I'm in Tolland. It's winter here also. :jack Could it have needed a reset because it was so discharged? I haven't used mine in a while. Let me check its charge state and see if I can do some testing also.

KR
  8. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh that's too funny!
    Yeah this 396 is like nothing I've seen before. My current Montana and my wife's Zumo 660 will both charge with the units off. Usually they just charge on the motorcycle mount while riding but this 396 is literally brand new and hasn't seen the bike yet other than to make sure my cradle wiring was all good.
  9. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I also use to use the Montana as well as many other GPS units over the years. Love the Montana. I have just plugged my 396 in while it is off. It is not discharged very much but I should be able to tell if it charges. I'll let you know.

KR
  10. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I tried charging it through the USB port while it was off and it didn't seem to re-charge. I turned it on and tried re-charging it and it did seem to work. I don't know about the behavior when in the cradle. Odd.

KR
  11. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huh, very strange. That sounds exactly like how mine acts. I do appreciate you doing that for me.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, the Zumo 590 and 595 also have to be "on" to charge.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  13. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really? That's just so odd compared to the other Garmin GPS units I've ever owned.
  14. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    This might be to save power. Keeping the USB port on when the GPS is off it probably makes sense to save battery power and not keep the USB chip on. I don't know if they would have the same reasoning with the cradle.

KR
  15. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I have never noticed this behavior, but actually it is better IMHO. I have gotten in the habit of removing my Navi 500 when I get off the bike because otherwise it would drain the bike’s battery after a day or 2.

If this is actually the case with the 396, I can leave it in the cradle
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  16. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always wire my GPS units to switched power so charging while the bike is off is never an issue. The charging of the GPS becomes a non issue once I start using the unit while riding, I rarely ever have to charge it by another method.
  17. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Mine were/are attached to my PDM-60 so it turns off after a minute or so. Same here, it is usually always charged because of the cradle.

KR
  18. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Does the 396 have a "demo mode"? If so, you could turn it on and put it in demo mode and since that means it isn't connecting to satellites, it won't be using as much battery, and might charge faster. Just an idea.
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 395lm. I was gonna buy the mounts for second bike but with the low cost of the Zumo 396 I might just buy that.

My question is are the two units the same size and use the same cradle?
  20. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best to ask Garmin directly or GPSCity, a quick look on gpscity website shows the mount sku's for the 395 but not the 396? Garmin's website lists just one mount for the Zumo 3 series.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/113581/pn/010-11843-00