New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It looks like it’s the same mount but the cases are different. The mount if vertical on one and horizontal on the other.
  2. MoikonaBoik

MoikonaBoik Imagining whirled peas

Oddometer:
    Garmin Zumo 396. Worst product in the history of bad products. I've had this piece of crap product fail to operate on half a dozen weekend trips now for one reason or another.
    - Defective charge cable - mail back (at my cost), replace
    - Defective GPS unit - mail back (at my cost) and replace
    - Battery runs flat, fast, while unit is turned off. Charging round-the-clock is mandatory to keep the unit usable. What engineer designed this product to run the battery down while it's turned off?
    But let's not drone on about the hardware. Let's talk about the software. On second thoughts let's not. I would not want this to turn into a rant.
    pidjones likes this.
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    That really sucks. I'm having the exact opposite experience. Got mine a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. I hope you can find a way to make it right. Powered off, battery lasts a long long time. (long press, confirm off).. Short press it just sleeps and battery will drain. Charging while sleeping on the cable is a little long, but in cradle, it charges quickly.

Where'd you buy it?
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mines been trouble free as well at least on our 2 week trip to Utah and back from Canada.
  5. MoikonaBoik

MoikonaBoik Imagining whirled peas

Oddometer:
  6. Gusfuhrer

Gusfuhrer n00b

Oddometer:
    Just purchased a 396 lmt-s a week ago. Been raining here since so just quick rides to make sure mounting and wiring were good. This is on my KLR also mounted a charging phone cradle for times I might need to use my old phone for a map app. C15B1C32-A161-49B1-A34D-EADF3CE5D043.jpeg
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  7. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great mounted to the crossbar. I'm thinking of maybe doing the exact same thing if I go with the 396 lmt-s.

Question, were you able to mount it just as you have it with everything that came in the box, or did you have to purchase any other mounting hardware?

Thanks
  8. Gusfuhrer

Gusfuhrer n00b

Oddometer:

Every thing you need to mount it like this was in the box. It’s very stable where it is.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  9. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    Another question, how are you going to be "connecting" to the 396? Will you be just be viewing, or also listening? If listening, how?

Thanks
  10. Gusfuhrer

Gusfuhrer n00b

Oddometer:
    I have synced my iPhone and Sena SMH10 to it and all is working pretty good. One complaint I have is the volume when I receive a call is a little lower than the music being played. I need to play with the settings and see if an improvement can be made. If not I will just not sync to it .
  11. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    How is the Sena powered? Do you just charge it a night (for multi day rides)? And if it is running only off it's own battery, how long will it last?

Just trying to decided if I need yet another charging point on my small bike.

Sorry for the all the questions.
  12. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes senator system charges by itself
    Can be removed from helmet
    Mine is 4-5 years old and I use it daily year round and battery life is still excellent
  13. Gusfuhrer

Gusfuhrer n00b

Oddometer:
    I get a full day ride from a charge. I have the dash lower to charge it when low. Doesn’t really pull much from battery.
  14. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    I assume you meant "dash power". What does it need for charging? USB port, or 12v "hole"?
  15. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try adjusting the volume while on a call. The SMH10 maintains individual volume levels for each source. GPS volume is different from music which is different than calls. The GPS directions can be difficult to set to the desired level as they are often very short.
    Gusfuhrer likes this.
  16. Gusfuhrer

Gusfuhrer n00b

Oddometer:
    I use USB. I know some have a 12 volt hole and use adapter.
  17. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't need to charge an intercom from the bike, my wife and I have been using Scala Riders for years (10+), and I just charge them at night along with our phones etc. while on multi day trips. A few times on overseas trips when I couldn't charge them overnight they still had enough battery for 2 days on the bikes. Really depends on how they're being used though Talk Time vs stand by mode. Neither of us listen to music, only for chatting etc. so we probably get longer battery life than if it's "powered on" all the time.
  18. Gusfuhrer

Gusfuhrer n00b

Oddometer:

Your right, I have never needed to charge my headset while riding if I start with a full charge. . I have had to use the lower dash outlet to charge it when camping or I didn’t have a full charge and on
    a long ride.
  19. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    I've had the same experience. The problem with the Zumo39X series is the charging cable interface. 2 pins for power. If you have a bike that vibrates a lot where the GPS is mounted, the connection will eventually fail. This could happen in 2 rides or 100 rides. The only solution besides tossing the unit is to get a vibration isolator like the ones Touratech make:

https://touratech-usa.com/store/Touratech-Motorcycle-Locking-GPS-Mount-Garmin-Zumo-396-LMT-S

It's an expensive solution but considering how much replacement charging cables are and the inconvenience, it's worth considering. For me, since using the mount, zero issues. This is with the same bike and mounting GPS in same location. If you are thinking the Zumo 59X series using 18 pins for connection is more robust and less prone to the vibration/connection issues, think again. The same issues above also surface for motorcycles that vibrate much.
  20. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to show a colored line on the main map screen of where I've already been? My old Montana would draw a colored line on all the roads I had already traveled on during my ride. I can't seem to make that happen with the 396.