New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I found it. I need to check off the Trip Log box. Unfortunately the line is a very light blue and it's pretty tough to see against the gray roads.
  2. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did have tracking on. I could see the track in my Tracks folder but the line wasn't showing on the main screen. I got it now, I just wish I could change the color to something I can actually see.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  3. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Probably old news to a lot of you, but I found my planning workflow greatly reduced by using Mapmyride to create a GPX track. Once I load the track into the Zumo, I convert it to a trip and pull it up in the trip planner. I've done a couple long complicated routes this way and so far the Zumo has not tried to change routing from the original track. As a back up, I display the original track in a different color that underlies the active route so I can see if it's taking me off track.
    If you haven't used Mapmyride before, it's a super easy way to make gpx and tcx tracks (for bicycle computers). It's mainly for bicycling, but there's a driving selection for avoiding bike paths. Watch the short tutorial on their site before you use it for some good tips.
    varnerju likes this.
  4. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great info here, I've done a fair amount of reading and some searching but can't find if this has been discussed already.

I got a 396 this winter and installed this spring and went out on a necessary run. I noticed the GPS shut itself off a few times and suspected my wire routing, but sitting still and bouncing the suspension, or going lock left to full lock right with the handlebars wouldn't get it to reboot. Then I noticed it was always after invoking Siri from my SMH10R. I changed the connection between the Sena and GPS to multi point (instead of another phone) and that SEEMED to fix the issue, though a longer ride shows that just reduced the occurrence, and unlinked it from Siri usage.

If it were an actual power issue, wouldn't the GPS go into "power removed, shutting down" and countdown? This seemed to do a reboot. Anyone else had a rebooting unit?
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    No rebooting here but then I just use the gps stand alone, have never sync'd it to our helmet intercoms. Make sure it's updated to latest firmware, then try resetting and don't sync to anything, just leave it stand alone and see if it continues to reboot.
  6. Dewey316

Dewey316 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine had problems shutting off when riding, it was the power connector in the cradle. I did the o-ring fix, and it hasn't had a problem since. Mine did the countdown thing, BUT, if I hit cancel on the countdown, and it didn't manage to reconnect in a certain amount of time, then it would go into sleep mode, shut down, then when power would reconnect it would start. It did weird things because of the power.

I bought a second cradle recently for a new motorcycle I got, the new cradle and power cord stick out much better than the ones that came with my GPS unit did, I didn't need to do the o-ring fix on the new stuff, so it seems Garmin has fixed it.
  7. AL-n2it

AL-n2it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably not a power supply issue, the unit will give a shut down warning when it loses external power.
    You might not see the warning if the internal battery dead flat...doubtful on such a new unit.

I have seen posts from others and had mine crash off a few times. Mine never did this while riding, only while playing around on battery power.

Although I do not sync any devices to the GPS.
  8. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Dewey
    Could you point me to this hack info please?

On mine it seemed like one or other of the pins wasn’t pushing hard enough against the unit contacts.
    I just flex them and pried up lightly with my knife and carry some foil to fill gap if I ever totally lose contact.
    But interested in this O ring repair.
    Thanks
  9. Stevesdream

Stevesdream n00b

Oddometer:
    Another way is to drill a large hole in the SW Motech mount so that the wire can feed through the back of the metal plate. You have to be very careful to put the hole in the correct spot. I drilled two holes next to each other because I did not have a large enough drill bit.

Attached Files:

10. Dewey316

Dewey316 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found it a few years ago, I can try to find info on it, if not I can go take pictures of mine.

It is really simple. Get a small o-ring and stretch it over the end of the power cable where it goes in the cradle, then tighten the set screw like normal, it will space the power cable out a fraction, but just enough so there is better pin contact and it works like it should. On mine, if you look at it from a side view, the pins where barely flush with the mount, they should be sticking up a bit, so the spring in them compresses and keeps contact with the GPS unit. As I said, the new cable/cradle I got, the pins protrude further like they should, it was the older ones and the ones that came in the kit that had problems. I'll try to get photos of what I did, that will make it easier to see exactly how to do it.

Here is a link with a little info, but no pictures or anything.

https://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=43001
  11. varnerju

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Although, I don't think it is loss of power because it doesn't give the prompt. I suppose it is possible that I'm missing the prompt and only seeing it go dark, but I don't think so. I will try disconnecting bluetooth devices and see if that helps anything. Good troubleshooting situation. But I also feel maybe I should log a help ticket so I have something on record if it gets worse, ya know, about the time the warranty is up... (Hmmmm.... Need to check warranty info in the FIRST place.)
  12. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Thanks for quick reply.
    When I read it a couple hours agoI figured had to do with tightening the contact points.
    I understand so no need to get pics.
    Thanks again
    BB
  13. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I have had the 396 reboot when I get a phone call on my iPhone which is paired to a Sena SMH10. It did this very repeatably. It didn’t bother me much because I don’t get many phone calls. The GPS screen would just go black with no warning, but would always restart.

The other problem that I have had that is much more annoying is the GPS would not give the audio channel back after a school zone warning. It worked fine for a speed zone warning, but not school zone. It would interrupt my music from my phone and I wouldn’t get the music back until I turned the Sena off and then back on.

Recently I have just turned off all audio from the 396. I got tired of the interruption to my music. I have a 20s coming which should handle this better.
    varnerju likes this.
  14. varnerju

Oddometer:
    Interesting, have you ever discussed with Garmin what could cause this?

As for the music cutting out, I had noticed the "DING" could be really annoying so I will probably turn that off, but turn by turn can be very helpful when you are an oaf like me, so I will want to keep that. Still very new to the 396, and the Sena for that matter, so I'm eager to learn more. Thanks for sharing!
  15. varnerju

Oddometer:
    @mpenner
    I reached out to Garmin support (via web chat, less annoying than being on phonecall hold IMO) and they were actually quite interested. I had thought for sure I was going to get a few links to BS FAQs and whatnot, but they sent me a document on how to put the unit into engineering mode, which basically sounds like it is writing a log of events in the background and asked me to recreate the problem and send them the file.

I followed the steps but couldn't recreate the issue. Either that "engineering mode" is like the VW emissions scandle, ore more likely, something else was different. For instance, instead of rolling down the road with an active route, I was sitting in the garage and testing calling and hanging up. But if you had it so repeatably, Maybe you could get them a log file? You can call it part of your civil duty to help them better their technology! It snowed here yesterday, and then some more today. I don't expect it to stick around long, but not sure when my next opportunity to get out riding will be. Heck, maybe the school zone warning thing could get cleared up too, especially if that persists with your 20S.
  16. pidjones

pidjones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a software tool available to edit a file on the device for changing lines, colors, etc. I've not used it (yet), but it sounds like what you need.

I have unpaired my phone (Android) from the 396. Seems to be just too many problems for the minor gains. The phone is paired to my Sena (I just use old SMH5s) and the GPS can be paired to the Sena, but 95% of the time I just have the 396 paired to a cheap Bluetooth receiver mounted under the fairing on the GoldWing, and listen to the 396 (when I want) through the speakers.
  17. varnerju

Oddometer:
    So I logged a ticket, they showed me how to get it into engineering mode and create a debug file then asked me to go recreate the situation. My first few attempts to recreate the phantom power down did not work, but then I caught it! Sent them the file and they said QUOTE "At this point without seeing other reports coming in, it's hard to determine what is causing the issue."

Not sure what to make of that. The log files I sent them were inconclusive? They replied promptly, VERY promptly, almost makes me think they didn't read the files. But if others are seeing the same issue, and can repeatably recreate it, it sounds like the guy I'm talking to is honestly interested to find a fix. Just as far as he knows, I am the only one with this problem. Anyone want to help show Garmin how they are missing the mark?
  18. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Sorry to be negative, but when I had a power issue about a year and a half ago, they had me do the same thing and gave me literally the same response.

What I ended up doing to alleviate the problem and it worked, was to just reset it back to factory settings completely. Basically did the version of a system wipe. While it was inconvenient, as I had to reset all the settings back to my preferences. It did work.
  19. varnerju

Oddometer:
    So... YOU also had problems? AND submitted bluetooth logs? Strange. I responded to their "no other reports" response asking if they saw anything in the bluetooth log and their response made it sound like they didn't even analyze it. They ARE however willing to go through with a warranty claim. Hmmm... I will try the factory wipe (although, honestly that concerns me too because it came from the factory and immediately had this problem!)

I wonder what they consider to be enough reports to actually consider this a problem?
  20. motorchi

motorchi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 396 worked fine for a long time, but developed a problem where 50% of the time when I tried to search it would shut down. Tried soft resets, but only a full reset solved the problem. Haven’t seen the problem in the several months since then.

I’m coming to the conclusion that what I really want is just a CarPlay screen with any cheap mapping solution built in as a backup for the 10% of the time I’m either out of phone battery or out of cell coverage. I like having a permanent, weatherproof screen that’s easy to read but the software is really falling behind on these dedicated units.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.