New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, straight through the cable and Garmin Express. While I enjoy the bluetooth connection for easier loading while out and about, (not needing to find a location/address on GPS after having just researched it on the phone) I don't see why this needs to be on my WiFi. Then again, I also like to maintain a large database of my trips and plans, use Basecamp to make a new plan and download that to the unit before heading out.

Speaking of which. I downloaded my common points to the 396 as a test run, then uploaded them back to Basecamp. It changed all my icons for waypoints I have used for years to default blue flags. Researching, that is because the 396 has a different waypoint icon set? HUH!?? Wondering if the way around this is to use custom POI instead of waypoints?
  2. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Picked up a Virb ultra 30 since the 396 works as a remote to it. Worked great and was happy with the video stabilization the camera did while driving on a gravel road.
  3. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the best way to add tracks to the 396?
    I use furknot to create tracks or routes
    Some work flawlessly some break up the tracks I made into many segments and its driving me crazy...
    I am more then slow with electronics since my commodore 64
    Thanks
  4. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I use Ride with GPS. Make a route, download it as GPX, drag it into the GPX file on the 396. I'm using a windows computer. Super simple. The 396 won't change the track if you leave it as a track. If you convert it to a route it will sometimes try to reroute. Easier to leave as a track.
    Using it is super easy just click and drag. The only trick to it is learning to use what they call "control points" if you are trying to drag a particular section. You can choose the exact spots where the track can change when you drag it.
    The file will show up in the tracks on your 396. Check the "show on map" button. I like to change the color to something brighter, like red or green, and it gives you that option.
    If you want to try converting it to a route, select "save as trip". Then it will show up in Trip planner as a route. You can display the actual track underneath to see if the Garmin is rerouting.
    Side note, the programmer for Ride with GPS is a moto guy. I rode with him a few weeks ago. Good dude.
    Also, I'm finding the 396 WAY more useful after downloading the free OSM maps. Much more detail, especially dirt roads and trails and it is still routable.
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  5. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

I use Basecamp. Import the GPX into basecamp and then send it to the GPS. Sometimes if I make specific lists of POI's in gpx/gpi format that need alerts, I use poi loader. I have had good luck doing it this way.

YMMV,
    KR
  6. KeystoneDrifter

KeystoneDrifter Buy the ticket, take the ride.....

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me what size and type of SD card is recommended for this unit? I cannot seem to find that info anywhere. Thanks!
  7. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a class 10 SanDisk 64 gb card. In another I used a Samsung evo 64 gb card.

It needs to be formated in fat32, which win10 won't do without using dos command. Natively, this card will come formatted exfat. Just install in zumo, it'll ask to reformat. Do it. Once done, if you connect to a PC, you'll notice the zumo formatted it to fat32.
  8. KeystoneDrifter

KeystoneDrifter Buy the ticket, take the ride.....

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  9. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    I bought my 396 on sale last fall, have used it a bit, finally had an opportunity to use the track feature yesterday. It took me a while to get the track to display on the GPS! I was leading a small group ride, so some pressure, but figured it out - would you believe there is a setting to "show track on map" that ISN'T the default setting! Who dreamed that one up!? Now after the ride, track line is still displaying - I don't see how to de-select the track - looks like you need to de-select "show track on map". More Garmin weirdness. There was a few times the GPS did weird things, didn't display the track like I thought it should... gotta play with it more, figure things out.

Several observations using the track feature:
    - I use Basecamp to create tracks. When doing that, you can select the track color, yet when displayed on the GPS it defaults to yellow. Secondary roads are yellow, and the track disappears on it. Messing with it, I discovered when the track preview screen pops up, you can select the wrench icon (settings)... where you select "show on map", and there you can also set track color.
    - Several times during the ride I got messed up with the map not moving. I don't know if I touched the screen, or it happened after zooming in/out, but towards the end of the ride I resorted to moving the map by touching and dragging to keep the motorcycle icon visible.

I found under Settings-Navigation-Map & Vehicle, it is possible to select Driving Map View and then toggle Track Up, North Up or 3D (default). I'll try Track Up next time (seemed to work best using my GPSMAP64 handheld).

For those using the GPS for following tracks, what settings work best for you (how do you do it)?
  10. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Yup, you need to select the track icon in the menu and deselect the track to get it to disappear. When selecting them, I usually pick something bright like the florescent green.
    Also, I've said this before, but if you haven't tried the free OSM map on the Zumo, you owe it to yourself to try it out. It's kind of a pain to figure out how to get them on there, but Google is your friend there. I can't remember exactly how I did it. Anyway, way more detail than the stock map.
    I always run mine track up. I also run an Android phone with Gaia, and often the OSM map has things the Gaia doesn't and vice versa.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  11. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Thnx. Superb. It's an odd way to select/de-select tracks, but I get it (see the advantage). With that method, you can display multiple tracks, could be following a main track, and have a 2nd track active to do a side diversion (for example). I installed Garmin Canada Topo maps (bought one of the last DVDs available), so can switch between that and the pre-installed Garmin City Navigator map. Love the free map update feature.
    JP4 likes this.
  12. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Another technique I use if I'm using the routing feature, is to display the track in the background in a different color so I can see if the Zumo is trying to recalculate and take me off course. My experience has been it doesn't try to do that very often on tricky back country routes with few road options, but on long road routes, it sometimes has a mind of it's own.
  13. varnerju

Oddometer:
    After a 1,000 mile extended weekend, then a 1,000 mile IBA Tour of Honor ride, my 396 and I got to know eachother a bit better. I'm still very confused on a few things like why sometimes my music starts to play out of the Zumo speaker and not my headset, but I'll need to do more experimenting there. But I wanted to share that I overcame another issue I had. Even after talking to customer service quite extensively and they couldn't solve it, I stumbled upon it.

There was discussion back on page 12 or 14 of setting custom icons for waypoints. I didn't even want custom ones, but the first time I dumped a file to Zumo, then uploaded it so I could get the tracks, I noticed that Zumo had changed ALL waypoints to the default icon. I have a fairly extensive list of friends houses, favorite pubs, interesting eateries that we have stumbled upon in our adventures, and each with the appropriate icon. I was looking for a way to get data from the Zumo after a trip, specifically the track data, but perhaps also some waypoints that I saved along the way, WITHOUT altering my curated database of waypoints in Basecamp.

I was familiar with connecting, and then "receive from device" but that of course will import everything and overwrite basecamp. What I hadn't previously noticed was that when Zumo is connected to the computer, it shows up as if it is its own list (or what I think of as a file). Then I can highlight all the tracks I want and drag them to the basecamp list. If there are waypoints that I add in the field, I can grab those and append them to the list that I used to plan the trip.

So, I'm pretty excited about that. Now, if I could just figure out why it wouldn't draw a straight line between WaypointA and WaypointB that happened to be on the same paved road, yet for some reason was taking us down a dirt road that turned into a goat path and sandy.... But this probably isn't the right audience to get sympathy from. Y'all probably think that is great. Anyway, thought I would share the waypoint preservation I discovered, but maybe I'm the last one to know.
  14. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tips are always appreciated. :freaky
  15. rlong5

rlong5 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have it set for adventurous routing, avoiding highways and preferring hills and curves? I've just begun to play with mine, so I'm way behind on the learning curve.
  16. varnerju

Oddometer:
    At the time I had it set to "fastest". I have played with adventure routing with both hills and curves at max, highways at mid. I must say I'm impressed with how it does it. I wish it would have an option like my Quest to ask me HOW to route at time of input. Cause a lot of times that is dependent upon the situation. "Go home... I've got time... Adventure!" Or if it is "get to destination for a family gathering..... timetable slipping... Fastest". Lots of clicks to go change the routing method and at least for me, my preferred method changes a lot.
    GMCNC100 likes this.
  17. rlong5

rlong5 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed!
  18. bross

Oddometer:
  19. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to buy additional cradle mounts for the 396? I took a quick look, and it doesn't seem so! I have several bikes, would like to be able to easily move the unit from bike to bike.
  20. bross

Oddometer: