1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Mine started to have some issues. When I choose a planed route, either it freezes at calculating or at choose next route stop. I did a device reset and will try again.
  2. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
  3. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just noticed you're in Canada,
    gpscity.ca has all the same as the US site.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  4. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Yup. It's where I buy all my Garmin and RAM mount stuff from. I have the spare mount parts in the cart, just waiting to pull the trigger.
  5. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following some youTubers recommendation, I used North Up for following tracks recently and it works pretty good, giving a good sense of actual direction and heading. I displayed multiple tracks simultaneously, red color for the main track and green for various easy bypass sections on the NEBDR.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  6. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a recent owner of a 396, and two different phone apps (MotionX & Scenic) I wish Google would just jump in and make life easier for all.

Find a kewl GPX track file on the internets? No problemo! Just open Google Maps on your phone, go to menu, go to import, before importing you will be prompted answer the following....

1) Do you want this to show up as an unchanging track (a line to be followed that doesn't change when you go off it)? Or a route which updates constantly?
    2) What color do you want this track or route to show up?

That's it....happy riding!!!
  7. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't we already have exactly this functionality with the 396, by importing as either a track or a route? The track part is easy, nothing to do there. However, if you want to route from a random GPX, it is wise to clean it up in Basecamp first. This is unavoidable independent of which device one uses, as GPX is just a collection of points that need to be mapped to an actual routable map which may have roads and junctions slightly off from the GPX points.
  8. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We do, but I'd like it all to work via mobile and to be as easy to use as Google/Google Maps and my iphone is.
  9. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GPX is not really good as a universal language for routing. Maybe some AI algorithms could be designed that would figure out which known route the GPX dots likely meant to represent, instead of taking them for face value and sending people on silly u-turns. Like JP4 said above, one way is to let the GPS route but have the track also displayed, so if the route is doing something weird you'll at least see it.
    JP4 likes this.
  10. out rider

out rider You Go First

Oddometer:
    Can anyone here tell me if the IPhone 7s and the Bluetooth HJC helmet are compatible for phone calls and Pandora?
    Or how can you tell if a phone and a helmet will be compatible.
  11. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Bluetooth standard ensures compatibility independent of the brand or model of phone or headset. I have an iPhone 6s but any model iPhone will work the same. I have done plenty of phone calls from my bluetooth headset, which is connected to the 396 which in turn is connected to the phone. My headset is a Sena but again it does not matter which brand it is. The only difference might be which button you have to push to accept an incoming call or to hang up.
    BTW: The 396 has a native Pandora app, which makes it easy to control the app from the touch screen. Unfortunately it does not have a Spotify app. It will still pass the music through from Spotify, but there is less control ability through the touch screen of the Garmin.
    out rider likes this.
  12. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am having such problems getting the nebdr tracks onto my zumo
    I dont know what i am doing wrong
    I see them in my libary
    I see them if i open them on explorer and look into garmin,gpx,file
    I unplug unit from computer turn on and nothing is on the zumo......
    Tried 5 times and only got nebdr section 1
    Anyone can help this tard........
    View attachment 2454166
  14. Brutalguyracing

Oddometer:
    What I have 20200729_082328.jpg 20200729_082328.jpg
  15. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never dealt with tracks, but with points and routes you need to transfer them and then load them. Usually the unit says "new data - something something - would you like to manage now?"

But also, I remember there being a setting to display tracks or not. Did you see this earlier post?

16. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't used my memory card for tracks. I go to "Device" up on the menu bar, then "send to device" -> "send selection to device" (or the entire folder). I send the tracks to the Zumo itself, not the memory card, so I just don't know whether it makes a difference.

In Zumo, after unplugging it, you go to apps-> trip planner. You should now see all the tracks there but you need to go into each one and click "show on map". You can show up to 15 (or was it 18?) tracks at a time. It also helps to choose a very visible color such as red or green. I use red for the main BDR track and green for the optional/easier/harder tracks.
    Hope this helps. Ping me on private message if you want to discuss more or trouble shoot together.
  17. Brutalguyracing

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone
    I have loaded other tracks onto the device before
    But for some reason (me) I'm sure
    It just isn't happening
    I gave up this am, it works fine on my phone on osm+ so I have that as a backup if I cannot get this to the device tonight
    I will report back later.....
  18. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:

First stupid question. Could your SD card be full?

I send my track to the SD card. After it goes tot he SD card I turn on the 396 and import it from a track into a route. That seems to insure that the route matches exactly the track for me. My 396 is in the garage but if this doesn't work for you I will get it go through the steps and write them down exactly to make sure it works.

KR
  19. Brutalguyracing

Oddometer:
    I tried sending it to the sd card and the unit itself
    I thought it worked but when i restarted the gps not there
    I tried 3 more times and found section (1) which is 3 separate tracks on unit but no others
    I then looked on the sd card from file explorer and they are all there
    So i really dont know why i am having this issue
    I since left home and went here for a break
    I will retry tonight when i get back home and report back

I really appreciate all the help IMG_2956.jpg
    Hogges and CavReconSGT like this.
  20. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don’t want to convert the track to a route for the NEBDR. You may get away with it in some sections but especially in Vermont there are tracks which the Garmin map doesn’t recognize as a road and when trying to route the track points sends you into all kinds of crazy zig-zags and detours to try and hit the track points. The BDR website warns expressly to keep following it as a track.
    This is why I go into trip planner, select the track, and make it show on the map. This is not an automatic feature where the Zumo mentions new data upon switching it on.