New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had a couple (maybe three or four) black screen and full reboot crashes like that. Not reproducable and infrequent enough that I didn’t consider to send it back. It hasn’t let me down when I was actually navigating. If I recall right these happened while connecting or disconnecting from a computer and on the bike but during initial startup when the screen just kind of stayed dim (faint logo). It’s been a while that this happened and I don’t recall exactly. I have taken multi day trips since and zero issues. Maybe an update fixed it?
  2. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Mine has done that a couple times, though not in several months. I've also had a few routes I've created that it would discontinue in the middle of navigating. I never figured out what was wrong, but it hasn't done it since. I'm also running routable OSM, though now I use the 396 mostly for following tracks.
    I've got a ton of different Garmin devices, and I have to say that while the hardware is generally very robust, the software is often buggy.
  3. ShortySM

ShortySM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it, hopefully the problem goes away.

I hadn't realised until I found this thread that you can just have tracks show up on the map without actively being routed on them. I'll have to try that out.
    Hogges likes this.
  4. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Running tracks on the Zumo is great. Even if I'm routing, I'll run a track in the background to make sure it's not routing me off course. I did the IBDR last month running the tracks with POI's on the Zumo.
    I ran my phone with the same tracks and topo maps simultaneously, but the Zumo is much easier to read on the fly.
    Hogges likes this.
  5. ShortySM

ShortySM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now that I discovered this thread, there's one other thing I'm curious about - what do folks use to deal with screen glare? Riding around noon, or with the sun high behind me makes it almost impossible to see anything, I usually end up shading the screen with my hand every now and then to make sure I'm still where I should be.
  6. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do not seem to have a glare problem with my 396. It was full sun on our recent NEBDR trip. Do you have the brightness turned up? Also I don’t have the mounts cranked down too hard so I can rotate it for best visibility while riding.
  7. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Yes, make sure the brightness is turned all the way up. There are a few times it's hard to read with just the right sun angle, but I've got mine on a ram mount so I just pivot it to eliminate the glare.
  8. ShortySM

ShortySM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That makes sense, thanks. I have mine mounted on the Perun Moto mount, which integrates it really nicely with the cluster, but also means it's fixed in place.

I could've sworn I'd turned up the brightness already, but looking at it now it was at 70%, so that might explain things.
  9. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Works amazing 1596602307139.jpg
    Spyrious and pidjones like this.
  10. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes! Back on page 28 of this thread if you want more detail.

I was able to align it with using Siri on my iPhone so after searching a lot and not finding much info, I created a ticket with Garmin. They suggested reconnecting the BT devices in a different order, and I did see a different option for phone being a multipoint or something like that instead of 'phone'. However, the reboots continued albeit less frequent and this time I could not find a pattern. It certainly was just rebooting, not like it was actually losing power because it didn't have the "lost power, press cancel to continue on battery" prompt. There were other weird things too, like when searching for a waypoint it would hang and I would need to power down to recover. I was able to capture the reboot event while putting the GPS into some diagnostic mode that Garmin had suggested, and sending them the file I was hoping to help them find their bug. Giving them this file I'm not sure they even analyzed it. They said something about nobody else reporting similar problems (contrary to others on this forum) and suggested a replacement.

Gotta give them credit for their replacement. I had a trip coming up, so turnaround time was important to me. I emailed them the tracking number when I shipped it, and they shipped me the replacement before they received the bad one. I was only two days without a GPS. Might be worth creating a ticket, just to see what they say. Most likely they will say it is an isolated issue that they've never seen before, but at least you will have on their record that something is going on, and if it gets worse, maybe initiating the complaint before the warranty expires will be beneficial?

Good luck!
  11. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    How about a photo of this mounted to the GPS? That link you provided didn't show much, other than they make custom stuff.
  12. varnerju

Oddometer:
    scootertrog likes this.
  13. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best I can find right now
    But that pic was with it mounted to the unit
    I just fold it over when it's off the bike admits designed to protect the screen when not in use
    20200626_165646.jpg
    scootertrog likes this.
  14. ShortySM

ShortySM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, I'll try a ticket with Garmin.
    Here's the interesting part: I too paired the 396 to a SMH10R before it started acting up. I'm wondering if this is a compatibility issue.
    varnerju likes this.
  15. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably old news for many, but for us newbs, here's a couple of tips....

1) Sleep Mode vs Powering Off. I mounted the charging mount to my bike via switched power. I erroneously thought that when I turned the bike off, and I let the Zumo do it's count down to power off, that is was actually turning off. However, it's going into sleep mode, which makes total sense because you really wouldn't want to start from zero every time you stopped for gas on a trip, etc. It took me awhile to find this out, because after an initial charge from a wall outlet, it's been on the bike with zero issues until last Sunday...when I fired up the bike and it wouldn't auto on like usual. I thought "oh great, something is up with the wiring". Once it had a little time to get some more juice, then it fired up, and it got me thinking and googling. Again, probably really old news for most.

2) Using Google to Create Routes for your Garmin. This is probably old news too, and I might have even found the link to the video below on this site. Anywho, I tried out what the guy in this video is talking about, and all worked great. I created my very own, unique route, pushed it to basecamp, and then to my zumo, and boom...it was great. I had a nice custom route in my Zumo that was easily created in Google, and it allowed me turn by turn nav...which you don't really need...you just follow the magenta line. I turned off the re-calc/re-route feature so it wouldn't automatically do that if you deviate from the route. This allowed me to go off course, and then hop back on the unchanged route. The only negative I had was that Google would not let me create a route that was off road, which I realize might be a huge issue for some trips. Here's the link.....

varnerju and Desk_Jockey like this.
  16. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do not want or need turn-by-turn directions, and want to follow a line off-road, you really want to create a track, not a route. A track can go anywhere, and is never recalculated. If you wish, you can create a route with your new Basecamp skills, convert the route to a track and then modify the track to add the off road portions. I think the 396 will let you display both a route and a track at the same time, so you can decide which line to follow.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  17. Desk_Jockey

Desk_Jockey Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Old news for many, but some of us are just beginning to learn this stuff. Both tips were helpful to me. Thanks much!
    varnerju likes this.
  18. varnerju

Oddometer:
    AWESOME! Hey, that aligns with my experience that I haven't been able to understand. I saw the countdown and just let it happen. Like you say, at gas stops and whatnot, not a big deal. But I was confused when I get home and upload the track as one big track instead of segmented for each gas stop.

Furthermore, and this is where this info will be VERY helpful, preparing for my next trip always starts with connection issues with the Zumo. I plug it into the computer, but the computer doesn't recognize it. I go through this dance for a while, leave it plugged in and eventually it connects. Perhaps the battery is dying fully, so that first plug in is merely charging it? Very interesting. I will have to investigate more. Thanks for sharing!!
  19. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    All of my Garmin devices take a minute or two, sometimes longer, to be recognized by my computer. That's two different watches, two bike computers, the Zumo, my old Zumo. Don't know if it's a Garmin or a Windows thing, but that's pretty normal in my experience.
    varnerju likes this.
  20. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    And if you're new to this, try building your tracks on Ride with GPS on your computer. https://ridewithgps.com/
    Watch a short video on how to do it and you'll be easily making GPX tracks right away. Lots of great map overlays to use. You can follow roads or not follow roads. You can toggle to satellite view and zoom in to see if the road actually still exists, which is a big deal out west where a large percentage of roads are no longer open.
    The programmer for RWGPS is an inmate here and they have a really great product. He's a friend of mine, but I have no skin in the game. It's free on your computer.
    Combined with using OSM maps instead of the stock Garmin maps, it's a game changer for the Zumo. It's like having the features of an Android phone without the drawbacks. I run both and often the OSM has better detail than the maps I pull down on Gaia on the phone.