New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another tip:

If you're Garmin won't turn on, either in the charging mount with the bike turned on, or pressing the units power button, try pressing and holding the power button for a slow count of 20 seconds. I got that from the Garmin site when my Zumo wouldn't power up at all. I guess it sometimes can "freeze" in the on or off position and this 20 second thing help to reboot it. Worked for me.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  2. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    I noticed that it requires a sign on....no biggie, just means that I will have to look at later, just not right now.

In the meantime, a question. After you create the GPX track with RWGPS, how do you push it to your Garmin? Do you import your RWGPS GPX file into basecamp, and then synce basecamp with your Garmin?
  3. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Nope, no Basecamp involved. If I remember correctly there's just s big download button once you save your route. Download as a GPX to your computer and drag and drop it into your Garmin.
    It's super fast once you've done a few tracks. I used to convert them to routes once they are in the Zumo, but now I don't usually bother and just follow the tracks.
    Desk_Jockey likes this.
  4. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Yesterday had a glitch with my 396 - it wouldn't power up! Earlier in this thread, I think someone mentioned holding the power button down for 20 seconds to do a hard reset? I did that, and it came back to life. Thnx to whoever shared that - very helpful.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  5. stromper

stromper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am annoyed with the POOR quality of adventurous routing. With curves, hills, and roads all the way to the right
    It makes a route to the nearest numbered road (not expressway) and continues on numbered 2 lanes
    The route is something a semitractor trailer would be happy on even Harley guys would be bored
    Way worse than my old TOMTOM Rider2, I needed to upgrade so I could use GPX downloaded routes etc.
    The map is missing MANY little towns and wont route diagonally to anything

I can not recommend, 10 year old TomTom better

I dont know if TOMTOM got worse over 10 years but I doubt it
    pidjones likes this.
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    A simple workaround (which obviously is no use on the road unless you're carrying a notebook) is to use Kurviger (https://kurviger.de), create a route and import it to your Zumo.
  7. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:

Curious as to where you're riding. I've had it work very well and take me on great little country roads. This has been all over the Southeast.
  8. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huh. I never noticed it with my GPS76, nor either of my Quest units, nor the 550, and I haven't seen any use for connecting the watch, so no data there. But I guess I'm saying I've been heavily Garmin for several years, and this 396 is the only thing that has given me trouble connecting.
  9. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been pleasantly surprised with the adventure routing lately in Northern MI. I never wanted to trust the GPS to pick good roads, so I always had several via points in my routes, but my last couple trips I tried the adventure and it did well. A couple of misses when choosing dirt roads that dwindle down to goat paths, NOT what I'm looking for on my Tiger 1050, especially while leading my riding partners (FJR and BMW LT) but for the most part, it has picked smaller roads with good twists and hills.
  10. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to upload the tracks of the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) into my Zumo. I've already downloaded the complete GPX file into base camp. The "author" of this ride, broke down the entire trip into 9 segments. I have easily imported all 9 tracks into my Zumo, and I can view the tracks in my Zumo, and I can even convert these tracks into Routes in my Zumo. What seems to not be making it over, is the dozens and dozens of "markers"/POIs that are included in this trip. In base camp I can see all the gas stations, hotels, kewl places to take a pic, etc. They are listed on the left hand side, and on the map.

But what appears to be showing up in my Zumo, is just the track or the route, I'm not seeing any of the points of interest.

Do I have to import them as well, seperately? Or is there something I need the check off that allows each track that import to also show all the POI?
  11. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

I usually use the POIloader to do points of interest.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

Hope that helps.

KR
  12. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    Update. I called Garmin customer support and they helped me out.

All the way points that the creator tagged, did make it into my Zumo, I just didn't know where to look. They do not appear on the track, or even on a route if you convert to a route. They find their way into your "Saved" folder. I was told that when you are actually close to the way points they will appear on your map. So, even though I would show a track on the map, and zoom in and couldn't see anything, it was because my actual current location is very far away from the way point. Again, I was told this, so I don't have any first hand proof that this will work. Hopefully, it will. So when you are following the track, all of these way point should be popping up as I get close. One small bummer that I was also told, was that all the icons that were used in base camp are not supported with the Zuma. So in base camp the creator used lots of nice icons...a gas pump for gas station, a tent shape for camp grounds, a camera for a nice spot for a pic, etc. I was told that since these icons aren't supported, I should just be seeing hearts (which is the icon used for the Saved folder in my Zumo). I guess we will see once I follow the route.
    varnerju, GreatWhiteNorth and Hogges like this.