1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup. Created a trip with Basecamp and sent to my 395. Then sent from 395 to 396 via Bluetooth. Then sent again from my 395 to a friend's XT. Easy peasy.

What didn't work was sending it to my old 550, had to plug it in to laptop. I had to try it though
    GreatWhiteNorth and Hogges like this.
  2. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you please explain how to do this? Can I share a track (I mostly use tracks rather than routes)?
  3. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my saved trips screen, I have a wrench in the upper left. In this section there's a share option. From there I just choose how I want to share.

Bluetooth needs to be on, on both devices. The receiving device doesn't need to do anything
    motorchi, Hogges and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  4. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I see it now. Not having another Zumo available I tried the share with smartphone option, seems like another good way to share a track with a friend without having a PC, cable and basecamp.
  5. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the Garmin 396....I'm pretty sure you can't change the color of ROUTES, is that correct? I know I can (and have) changed the color of TRACKS, but the ROUTE color seems to be a default and unchangeable setting. Right?
  6. lmills

lmills n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I also have been a little frustrated at the proprietary mount, plug-in, and wiring dongle (5v) for the Zumo 396LMS. I have the unit wired permanently to my K1600GTL, but always planned to move it to my KLR as needed. The Zumo mounting cradle is attached to a ram ball and I had hoped to just remove the GPS unit along with the mounting cradle, ... and move it to the other bike.

My first thought about how to make this work was to (1) cut the Garmin wires about 6 inches from the cradle (2) and place a pair of plugs on the two ends, thereby creating a way to move the GPS, cradle, and wiring to the other bike.

Then on the second bike I would create a 12v lead with positive (ignition switched) and negative wires with a matching pplug the same as on bike #1. BUT ... The proprietary electrical connection and 5v voltage reduction black box (as I understand it) make it impossible for me to move the unit between bikes with ALSO purchasing (1) wiring, (2) cradle, AND another Ram ball attachment for the second bike.

Has anyone figured a way to accomplish this without all of the additional expense?
  7. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:

Hmmmm.... Says he rides a BMW. Talks like he rides a KLR... :lol3

I'm just messing with you, man. ;)

Convenience comes with a price. Fortunately, another cradle setup really is not very expensive (in the grand scheme of what we do).

The extra cost is worth it, to me. Every connector in the wiring is just one more opportunity for a problem. One more spot where moisture could creep in, corrosion could start, etc.. The convenience plus the reduction in potential failure points is worth the extra cost (to me) to just put another cradle on my other bike.
  8. lmills

lmills n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep... I ride 'em both ... a lot ... I ride the KLR almost as many miles a year as the BMW... about 10k each. No offense taken. I tend to jump on the KLR on nearly a daily basis.

Actually ordered the extra cradle and wiring, yesterday after exhausting other possibilities.

In my thinking, there are 2 kinds of BMW riders out there.. There is the "gotta have the newest model and the underwear to match" crew.. and then there is the rest of us picking up good used units ... who may or may not use bailing wire and duct tape when necessary. I've even got a barn-find R100/7 in the garage needing a cosmetic rebuild, and a second KLR for my son.
    StuartV likes this.
  9. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there anyway to grab a track that's on the gps unit and send it to.my phone wirelessly
    Or will it involve taking the sd card out or a cable to my computer
    Long story short my old computer exploded and I dont have this track in my google maps folder
  10. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too funny! I had no idea you actually also have a KLR. LOL

I had a GS. I was definitely not in the "matching underwear" crew.

:beer