1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup. Created a trip with Basecamp and sent to my 395. Then sent from 395 to 396 via Bluetooth. Then sent again from my 395 to a friend's XT. Easy peasy.

What didn't work was sending it to my old 550, had to plug it in to laptop. I had to try it though
    GreatWhiteNorth and Hogges like this.
  2. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you please explain how to do this? Can I share a track (I mostly use tracks rather than routes)?
  3. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my saved trips screen, I have a wrench in the upper left. In this section there's a share option. From there I just choose how I want to share.

Bluetooth needs to be on, on both devices. The receiving device doesn't need to do anything
    motorchi, Hogges and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  4. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I see it now. Not having another Zumo available I tried the share with smartphone option, seems like another good way to share a track with a friend without having a PC, cable and basecamp.
  5. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the Garmin 396....I'm pretty sure you can't change the color of ROUTES, is that correct? I know I can (and have) changed the color of TRACKS, but the ROUTE color seems to be a default and unchangeable setting. Right?
  6. lmills

lmills n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I also have been a little frustrated at the proprietary mount, plug-in, and wiring dongle (5v) for the Zumo 396LMS. I have the unit wired permanently to my K1600GTL, but always planned to move it to my KLR as needed. The Zumo mounting cradle is attached to a ram ball and I had hoped to just remove the GPS unit along with the mounting cradle, ... and move it to the other bike.

My first thought about how to make this work was to (1) cut the Garmin wires about 6 inches from the cradle (2) and place a pair of plugs on the two ends, thereby creating a way to move the GPS, cradle, and wiring to the other bike.

Then on the second bike I would create a 12v lead with positive (ignition switched) and negative wires with a matching pplug the same as on bike #1. BUT ... The proprietary electrical connection and 5v voltage reduction black box (as I understand it) make it impossible for me to move the unit between bikes with ALSO purchasing (1) wiring, (2) cradle, AND another Ram ball attachment for the second bike.

Has anyone figured a way to accomplish this without all of the additional expense?
  7. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:

Hmmmm.... Says he rides a BMW. Talks like he rides a KLR... :lol3

I'm just messing with you, man. ;)

Convenience comes with a price. Fortunately, another cradle setup really is not very expensive (in the grand scheme of what we do).

The extra cost is worth it, to me. Every connector in the wiring is just one more opportunity for a problem. One more spot where moisture could creep in, corrosion could start, etc.. The convenience plus the reduction in potential failure points is worth the extra cost (to me) to just put another cradle on my other bike.
  8. lmills

lmills n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep... I ride 'em both ... a lot ... I ride the KLR almost as many miles a year as the BMW... about 10k each. No offense taken. I tend to jump on the KLR on nearly a daily basis.

Actually ordered the extra cradle and wiring, yesterday after exhausting other possibilities.

In my thinking, there are 2 kinds of BMW riders out there.. There is the "gotta have the newest model and the underwear to match" crew.. and then there is the rest of us picking up good used units ... who may or may not use bailing wire and duct tape when necessary. I've even got a barn-find R100/7 in the garage needing a cosmetic rebuild, and a second KLR for my son.
    StuartV likes this.
  9. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there anyway to grab a track that's on the gps unit and send it to.my phone wirelessly
    Or will it involve taking the sd card out or a cable to my computer
    Long story short my old computer exploded and I dont have this track in my google maps folder
  10. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too funny! I had no idea you actually also have a KLR. LOL

I had a GS. I was definitely not in the "matching underwear" crew.

:beer
  11. slime

slime Healing nicely

Oddometer:
    I know I'm late to the party, but I bought a 396-LMS a while back. Got a deal and needed one for the street bike, so I got one. When I finally decided to use it, the power cord would not work. When I finally received a new one ( which somehow got lost between Kansas and Tennessee ) it worked fine. the new power cable had an inline fuse..the supplied one did not. I don't like it as much as I like my 498 but that lives on the dirt bike, I also have a 350 LM. It was a used unit that was "Killed" on a dirt bike..not mine. What I found out was the 2 pins on the power cable had worn 2 craters on the contact points of the GPS. Also, the old mount had some play in it so those 2 things caused part of the issues with the old unit. I had an new screen protector from my old Droid phone that was a perfect too. Things I don't like is I can't have the time and the altimeter on the screen at the same time ( unless you pull up trip detail and loose part of the tiny but exciting screen ) Might not be an issue on a "Newer" bike ( mine is a 1997 R850R which shows only your speed and some idiot lights ) but mine has no clock.
    CavReconSGT and pidjones like this.
  12. Jeteye

Jeteye Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well my Garmin 660 audio has been dead for a couple of years now. I updated its maps and it killed it as it locks up completely intermittently. Jumped on the ARMOR 6 cheap phone train to navigate with and became disillusioned. A close friend just picked up a 396 and finds it to be a workhorse. For 229.00 I am all in and ready to give it a go. Love the idea of smartphone integration if it actually works. Thanks everyone for all the input.
  13. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Do it! I went from a 660 to the 396 and it is a huge upgrade!
    sieg likes this.
  14. Gtwo

Gtwo Old,slow and havin' fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    I currently have a Zumo 390 with a handlebar cradle mount. I have an opportunity to obtain a Zumo 396 from a buddy, but just the GPS unit - no wiring nor cradle. Will the 396 snap right into the 390 cradle and wiring? thnks..
  15. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to gpscity, yes. You could also look up the part numbers for the cradles to see if they're the same.

https://www.gpscity.ca/questions?qid=80631
    Gtwo likes this.
  16. danielbak

danielbak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. But need to rotate the mount 90 degrees
  17. Forza123

Forza123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First GPS Unit its a new 396. I have the screen set to 60% brightness always on. The bluetooth and WiFi are turned off. It only lasts 1 hour like that. I'm thinking the battery is bad. Do you think that's correct or is it the screen?
  18. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 396 is not designed to run off battery for longer than a short stop. You need to hardwire its cradle to your bike’s power.
  19. Forza123

Forza123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That certainly explains it. I'll hardwire it.

Appreciate your help.
    Hogges likes this.
  20. Desk_Jockey

Desk_Jockey Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no expertise with these things, but I had mine (purchased used from an inmate) for a couple months before I hardwired it. With a fresh charge, it was good for about 2.5-3 hours at a time. Obviously, wiring it in works much better.