New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. poonbean

poonbean gottago

Oddometer:
    Splicing into the same power line for the montana to connect the plug for 396 should not be a problem - as long as the 396 uses the same voltage as the montana.
  2. sproot

sproot Sturdy Adventurist

Oddometer:
    I like the look of the 396, looks like it will be a decent upgrade from my old 550, one thing worries me though: There's one review on Amazon UK which says it lasted 4 hours until the unit dropped out of the mounting bracket and smashed. Obviously this isn't covered by the warranty....

Have any of you been off road with it, or anywhere not buttery smooth? How secure is the cradle?
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's taken me so long to figure out the quirks in my 390.. I don't think I want to start over. Besides, the 396 screen shot previously is a definite deal breaker for me.
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven't looked at the mount on the 396, but it's fairly easy to only partially latch my 660, feels and sounds like it's clicked into place but the release button is sometimes slightly raised and therefore not completely latched. It would feel solid but I can see it slowly releasing with vibration, bumps etc. I just always make sure to press down on the release button, this ensures the gps is locked securely.
  5. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Can't say I've been truly off-road, but I did run some very rough gravel roads on a street bike. In turn, the suspension was not suitable, making the handlebars vibrate pretty strongly. No issues with it. I've pulled on the unit when it's been in the cradle to test it and it is firmly planted in my opinion.
  6. $19.95

$19.95 farkling

Oddometer:
    Wanted to mention that I returned the 396 I got almost a month ago. Beyond navigation and tracking, I wanted to use the live tracking feature, plus have it be the media interface for my phone while I am riding. It failed miserably at both of these tasks. I spent more time trying to troubleshoot issues that actually using the system.

I hate being 'that guy' who needs 5 minutes before getting on the bike to make sure all the tech is working right.

What I'd really like to see is some manufacturer create a 6-7" CarPlay/Android Auto wireless device, with a clamp on handlebar control. Now THAT would be worth $400.
    ontrip and johnnywheels like this.
  7. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No issues here, though I have not been on single track with it but I have gone over some rough terrain and never had an issue.
  8. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the Yamaha/Magellan unit may be just that...
  9. terminalAdv

terminalAdv n00b

Oddometer:
    does the Garmin Zumo 396 support map data from OSM (Open Street Map). I like to upload map data from locations that only openstreetmap has content of. Does it work with the Wifi option too?
  10. $19.95

$19.95 farkling

Oddometer:
    Are you referring to this?
  11. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    If that is the Yamaha/Magellan unit, then yes.
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Magellan trx7 same same
  13. danielbak

danielbak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    can anyone share a a v3.10 gupdate.gcd here?
    need to do a reflash
  14. Edintheclouds

Edintheclouds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally broke down and bought one because using my phone in the woods has been failing me to no end. What kind of mounts are you guys using? I have an Africa Twin and I want it to be just above the dash and tight with the windscreen. I don't like them sticking up in the air and in my face. I want that Touratech locking mount but they don't have it out for the 396 yet.
  15. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Swmotech Mount with adapter for the bracket this sumo uses.
  16. Ironheadziggy76

Ironheadziggy76 What the hell?

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at the 396 as well, my old Nuvi 550 is still working okay after 10 years of beating it over rough roads, but it needs to be updated. Last I checked if I update it I will lose Alaska and Mexico. I have a question for you guys that know, if I put a Mini SD card in it will that give it the space it needs for all of the update? Any advise would be appreciated, even if it's just ditch it and get the 396. Thanks in advance all.
  17. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    Have any of you considered the TomTom 550?
  18. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe you can send the map to the sdcard but I haven’t done it. Could be wrong.
  19. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    When your leaving a paper trail can you change the size or colour
    Thanks
  20. Signal 13

Signal 13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 396 was delivered today. I was able to wire it to the bike and attach it with a RAM mount, download BaseCamp, put tracks on there, move the tracks onto the 396, and then view them on the 396. It arrived just in time for a ride this weekend, so will see how that goes.

I used a GPS when I lived in Thailand, but all I can recall is it was a Garmin. The only real purpose that served was giving me a rough idea of where I was at any given time...wasn't exactly used for point to point navigation, tracks, or anything like that. So, the 396 is pretty much my first proper GPS.

I noticed there's not much on YouTube for the 396, at least, not in English. So, I was halfway thinking I might make a YouTube video focusing on the 396. Of course, I'd first have to make a YouTube account and figure out how to host/post videos on there, but surely that cannot be too difficult.
    2dogs1cat likes this.