New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    Sounds good about the youtube.put up a link when you have one up and running
    Signal 13 likes this.
  2. Signal 13

Signal 13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a GoPro Hero7 Black...may as well put it to use. :lol3
    mickd likes this.
  3. Ironheadziggy76

Ironheadziggy76 What the hell?

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll do some more research and give it a shot!
  4. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i beleive that the map has to be in an identically named and structured folder hierachy as on the device itself.I fyou do that via basecamp and can send the data to the sd card then i think basecamp makes those folders and subfolders .I can t say for certain cause in little NZ the maps are tiny to never need more storage
  5. Signal 13

Signal 13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Below is the link to the YouTube video. Keep in mind this is my second YouTube video, so it's not the epitome of professional video production. Also, having had a YouTube channel for something like 3 days, I haven't a clue what it is I'm supposed to video, so I just make a short clip on how to load tracks onto the device. Rather than making the video some sort of big production, I kept it short and to the point, which personally, is how I prefer the How To videos I watch on YouTube. Hopefully with some practice I'll get better at the whole YouTube thing, but for now, you'll just have to suffer. :lol3

RideDualSport.com and Boxa like this.
  6. WERA456

WERA456 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North Ga. (The site of the first major gold rush)
    So yesterday I broke my 660, it is done. I really liked by 660 for the last 8 years, and have 3 mounts set up on my bikes for easy changes. I was about to try and buy a used 660/665 but they are going for $275ish and I got to considering that I can buy a brand now 396 for $360. Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and upgrade?
    Anyone on here used to have the 660 and now has the 396? How would you compare the two? Is it worth the upgrade or stick to my trusty 660 setup?
  7. Lzeplin

Lzeplin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also considering the 396 it will be my first moto gps. I'm wanting it for the MABDR ride, I want to buy his sd card and simply plug it in and have the route. Also my question how do I change it between 2 different bikes? Is there any way to rig up a connector and just use my 12v plug? Or does it have to be hard wired in? Thanks so much for any help.
  8. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Can you actually plan a route on the unit, or do you need to use Base camp?
  9. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can plan routes using the trip planner or what ever it's called on the 396. You just pick your starting point from the POI database as well as any points along your route to "shape" your route. No BaseCamp or computer required.
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  10. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that.
  11. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Does it HAVE to be hardwired? Because that blows.
  12. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not in theory but I feel battery life is pretty lackluster.
    oakcutter likes this.
  13. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that seems to be a Garmin hallmark. :bluduh My wife's had a battery life of minutes, not hours.

Any way to power it from a 12v or USB plug?
  14. RidingInTheRainMan

RidingInTheRainMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most likely it will need to have a separate hard wired cradle for each bike. If you look back thru this thread there are some discussions about the wiring harness and 12v to 5v transformer.
  15. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve just sold my tomtom 550 and got a Zumo 396. I much prefer how easy it is to use.

Does anyone know if there’s any software or apps that enable you to create a route, then send it to the device wirelessly? The tomtom had an app for this, which is the only thing I’ll miss.
  16. Bouncy

Bouncy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @RichBMW.....I'll watch this with interest!!

My Zumo 660 is well past it's best, and I've had enough issues (slow processor, screen brightness is appalling, screen resolution isn't good, no adventurous routing) with it for me to now look for a new one.

Rich is my great mate, so on our previous trips, due to the limitations of the 660, we've relied on his device (Nav 6, TT550) to get us around on our journeys, and my 660 has the final destination in for the day in case we got split up.

The 396 looks like a nice unit with good functionality, but my concerns for this & any gps unit (am also looking @ Tom Tom 550) are:
    > Screen brightness (particularly in sunlight)
    > Screen resolution
    > Ability to produce a route in Motogoloco (far more user friendly than basecamp imho), & then plug in the device & transfer the gpx file with ease (with my 660, I always got a prompt box on file transfer stating 'Garmin Communicator' needed to be installed...which I tried & failed every time); the TT I haven't yet tried via Motogoloco, but the TT My Drive route planner is a doddle to use so a route file can be transferred with ease
  17. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the back of the 396 is like the 390, you should be able to run it from the car power cord, to a cigarette lighter receptacle. But, you'll either have to carve on the standard mount to make access to the mini-USB port in the back. Or fab a mount yourself. Bonus with the car charger is that it should contain the traffic avoidance antenna.
  18. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i am pretty sure you can just drag and drop(windows) to the device probably to the garmin folder(not 100 percent sure of destination).
  19. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the 396 wi-fi capabilities and decided it was not much of a selling point. Based on reading the owners manual and several reviews, it seems updated Garmin maps and firmware are the only files that can be transferred wirelessly to the 396. The manual also recommends using a 1A external power source, connected via USB, during the transfer. That is hardly wireless, and you likely will still want to take the GPS off the bike.

The transfer of other data (alternate maps, custom POI, routes, or tracks) must be done through a USB cable or by installing a SD card with the files.

For "wi-fi" to be useful for my purposes, I would want to be able to click/drag/copy a file on my phone/tablet/PC and have it automagically appear on the GPS.
  20. Bouncy

Bouncy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got this sorted now, and you’re right...drag & drop into the gpx file when the device is plugged into the laptop