New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Yes it is a Garmin Product. TOPO 2008. One of my favorites US roads and Rec won’t display either
  2. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    now they are gone again........ pos
  3. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    This may be due to the older maps installed. When we went to Costa Rica and used one of my old Nuvi's loaded with Costa Rica maps, that screwed up my routing when we got home to Canada. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on but after uninstalling the CR map and resetting the Nuvi, my routing was working again.

You are trying to use an 11 year old map on a brand new device. You can activate or deactivate a map by checking or unchecking it but as per my experience above it may not actually be deactivated properly or completely. I would uninstall your older map products, reset, then try loading your way points and see what happens.

Some of the topo maps have routable roads and some do not, that may explain the behaviour.
  4. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    I have given up on TOPO etc. I am running the latest city nav map map. When I view map and pan around NONE of my saved places show up. If I go to favorites and pull up the search tap they show up on the map then. Best I can hope for is as I am actually using it and I get close to one of my saved places it will show up on the map then. If i go through a total reset they will show up then but only until the next time I power it up. Then they are gone again POS !
  5. bross

Oddometer:
    My saved places do show up on my 660, but not at all resolutions. If your saved places show up when you search, then I'm trying to figure out again what the problem is? I never pan and zoom my screen on my 660, maybe because it's not the greatest screen and clunky, it's definitely NOT a smart phone screen. It's too small and I just don't see how I would ever use it that way. If I want to go somewhere, I search for that waypoint, or if I'm on an existing route, I just search for whatever (food, gas, hotel) using "Search near" "My current route" search feature.

You say they disappear after a reboot. Do they disappear from your search list as well?
  6. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    My 660 died and I replaced it with this unit. On the 660 my favs were always visible when I was on a small enough scale. I could always tell when I was near or passing a favorite. They don’t disappear from my lists etc butvtheyvjust won’t show up on the map. Why is this important? Here is a good example.

There are several points of interest while navigating tracks on the SM500 like the airplane crash or a waterfall. If it does not show on the map you could go right by it. Not that you would miss a waterfall but you know what I’m saying. When I downloaded all the information from basecamp to the 396, everything shows up in the tracks and favs etc, but only the track shows on the map. Nothing else Another that sucks that when the symbol does show up there no text with it. Should be a way to set that but there’s not.
  7. bross

Oddometer:
    OK got it, and yeah you're right it's frustrating. You would just like it to work as well as your old 660, understandably so. Hope you can figure it out and sorry I can't be of more help.
  8. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a trial run on a new 396 LMT-S today just in the local area. It is.... challenging. I've had a 2720 (? or something) years ago, and also a 60csx. Those have a more clunky interface, and are slower to render ye street map.

This 396 is buggy when used with my Samsung Galaxy S7 and a Sena SMH10 headset. First is the power on cycle: have to get the headeset linked to the GPS first, or else the phone grabs the headset and prevents the headset from linking to through GPS. Pandora randomly quits. Could be the Pandora app on the phone though, but it means I can't rely on it, killing the value of that feature.

Navigation audible directions are incessant. The lady's voice is harsh and sounds over amplified even at lower volume. The "adventurous routing" missed some of the better roads in favor of straight 2 lanes.

Not impressed so far.

Oh, and the F'ing power cable debacle....big 5V converter box inline with the cord which, by the way, is locked to the mount. So forget a multi bike situation with transferring the GPS from one to another. $100 for a 2nd cable and mount!!
  9. bross

Oddometer:
    After reading this thread I'm really hoping my 660 doesn't die anytime soon. It works well on both my Griso and DR.
  10. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Got mine today.It says 26 hours to complete update...Is this normal?
  11. Ron_Luning

Oddometer:
    Mine estimatedt that, but on a 75 Mbps connection, it took maybe 40 minutes
    oakcutter and Spyrious like this.
  12. Spyrious

Oddometer:
    It's been almost 2 hours and it's says 16 now. Maybe I should update it through usb, and not wifi?
  13. Ron_Luning

Oddometer:
    Not sure, it could be their end if your WiFi is fast otherwise. Go to speedtest.net on a computer on your WiFi to be sure it is fast.
  14. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    I had a 660 cradle on my WR and was going to use my NAV 5 or 6 on it. But I did not want to take a chance damaging those expensive units off road so sold the cradle and went all in on the 396lmt-s. Kind of feeling like it was a mistake now. I had a 60csx set up on the bike but that was just not going to be very easy to use so went with this. Rigging up my WR to ride the SM500 in June. I guess this will be easier to see the tracks than on the 60csx and it does pair and work fine with my Sena 10s. But it sure is a huge drop off from the NAV V & VI. One other thing that sucks about the 396 power cord is you have to provide your own fuse link.
  15. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:

It may have been just me but the only knock I had on the 660 was that the audio from the GPS MP3 player was terrible. But that may have been a conflict with the Sena 10s. Other than that 660 is a better unit
  16. bross

Oddometer:
    I prefer the sound of my bike to music while riding anyway so never been a problem on my 660. :ricky
  17. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    In the manual it states that you don't need a fuse link
    Hogges likes this.
  18. Spyrious

Oddometer:
  19. Spyrious

Oddometer:
    My power cord did not have a fuse attached,although on the printed instructions it shows an inline fuse.I'm gonna install one to be sure.

I fitted a 2A inline fuse.
  20. Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag Jesus Hates A Pussy Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's interesting. I just got a 396 last week from amazon and it also did not have an in-line fuse on the harness (and shown in the instructions). GPS City is the supplier and they said they would send me a new harness. Hope it has one...
    Spyrious likes this.