New Garmin Zumo 396

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by StuartV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Called Garmin. Told me to download poi loader. Followed instructions. Still does not work. Seems waypoints have to be poi to show on map
  2. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    I saved them tonghe 396 now in manual mode and set proximity alerts. They will only show on the map in where to, POI, and map mode. So at least when I am near them I’ll get a time but they still don’t show on the map . BOO.
  3. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    This should be my last post about this unit. Hope all my trials and tribulations help someone. But long and short of it is this. Garmin claims the reason favorites dont show on the map of the 396lmt-s is that customers were complaining that favorites were cluttering up the map. So if you want your favorites to show on the map they told me to download the Garmin POI loader which I did. I then had to create a file to export my favorites to which I put on my desktop and named POI. I then exported my favorites and waypoints to the folder. Then from POI loader i sent them to the 396lmt-s. In POI loader make sure to use the manual method and use either speed or distance for proximity. They still dont show on the map when panning around but they do when navigating. I set my my alerts for 1/4 mi so maybe when im getting close to waypoints on the sm500 i get an alert and see it on the map
    Ocho NA likes this.
  4. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    I have tested it in GPS Simulator and the POI is there and tone sounds . My only question left is will the POI show up and tone sound when I’m merely running a track and not navigating a route
  5. Twospot

Twospot Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After some time do you still think the 396 was a better choice over the TT 550? I had the 550 but returned it because it took me two days to update the maps on WiFi. I tried multiple WiFi networks and it was abysmal. I saw on Amazon the 396 is on sale for $299 so I ordered one today.
  6. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I’m very pleased with it. Only ridden a couple of times with it, but initial impressions are good. :thumb
  7. Twospot

Oddometer:
    EXCELLENT! Thank you fo rthe quick reply!
  8. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    I have a 660 and I keep thinking I should get the 396, but the lack of a native Spotify app is holding me back. Can't believe they wouldn't put that vs Pandora on that unit. That's the only reason I would consider a 595lm vs the 396, but just can't see paying upwards of $200 more just for that.
  9. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    we dont get pandora in australia they stopped it last year,
  10. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    That was another source of confusion with their decision to use Pandora. Not that many countries even have access to it. :doh
  11. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those looking for another update on the 396 or asking for technical help, kindly skip reading any further. Thanks. Reading my post will absolutely guarantee misunderstandings, so please, just move on to the next post. This is strictly for those of us who would really like a simpler, more dependable, reasonably priced, user friendly GPS which appears to be about as realistic as finding a Genie in a bottle. And why I don’t own a GPS.

OK folks – I read every single post on this thread – all 8 pages. Yes, I DO wish I could understand one tenth of what ya’ll are talking about. But I don’t. While I truly do envy you (if you’re one of those technical geniuses still here reading) I’m pretty sure I don’t want to spend hours and days (weeks?) trying to figure all this out so I could actually work one of these fine products. Seriously, I wish I had a neighbor or riding buddy who would risk having a stroke trying to help me understand tracks, routes, waypoints, 5V vs 12V, ram mounts, Spotify, yada yada infinitum. And before you accuse me of being lazy, please re-read my opening comments.

Engraving on a rifle or shotgun won’t make it even a tiny bit more accurate. But let’s not judge the guy who loves all the aesthetics - just like we won’t judge the folks here who love all this technology. Me? My definition of POI is point of impact. I would think seeing 22 tracks on a device would be enough options?? Basecamp is where the horses, my Guide and I ate and settled down for the night. I’m not being sarcastic. I’m just the other guy who enjoys riding for the sake of riding. I love exploring (sensibly) without knowing exactly where I am or what’s around the next bend. Different strokes?

Leaving the airport 2 weeks ago, driving my rental car for 3 very long days, my I-Phone literally got me around Florida’s crowded Interstate's and backroads safely and on time when I had to be at multiple locations punctually. And then get back to my hotel to do it again the next day. People were counting on me. Had it not been for that phone and (God Bless) Siri – don’t ask – she eliminated untold amounts of unwanted stress. So yes, I get it. But I ride for different reasons. That’s just me – NOT saying it should be anyone else!

Maybe one day they will come up with a device that I can have a voice discussion with in my helmet and it will provide visible or audible answers to my navigation questions? Kinda’ like me waiting to win the lottery next week. Until then, I’ll be the one riding quietly, a quarter mile behind those who “appear” to know where they are going. And, if it turns out they’re lost, then I won’t feel so alone any more as I ride by looking at my map like I know where I am with a “follow me” gesture and "I'm clueless" expression in my helmet. And THAT’s what I’m talking about.

NO offense meant to anyone here.

Cheers.
  12. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    None taken mate.i am one of the guys who just use it to find my way around in the bush and if i get lost find my way out.its very easy to put a POI on as you ride around etc.
    For me it works perfectly.
  13. Twospot

Oddometer:
    I hear you bud. I run all my music from my phone so I don't see myself using any of those extra apps.I got it yesterday. I like the size and shape much better then the TomTom 550. Also bonus is it only took a little over an hour to update maps and system software. Now to figure out Basecamp. That should be fun.
  14. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    Yes, the phone can be easier.
    Yes, Basecamp is a learning experience for me.....I am just scratching the surface.

But, here is why I got one (you smart guys turn your head). First a Zumo 550 then a Zumo 396 LMT.

Mine is mounted and turned on 24/7/365. At night, or when sight lines are poor, it lets me see what lies ahead in the form of intersections and curves. It does this in the rain. I have mine set with my direction of travel always up screen and so that it stays at one map scale. On the highway it will find me a room/food/gas very easily on the fly. Sometimes I just go ride until I am good and lost, then hit HOME and follow the purple line back. It will do all this in daylight also with the sun on the screen. As you use it, you will pick up new information and/or tricks from it. Like anything electronic, it can be used at all levels of owner capability.

Yes, a phone will do this to. But not in the pouring rain and not with gloves on.
    Perazzi, NJDualsporter and Hogges like this.
  15. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    randingo and Twospot like this.
  16. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    I ordered a second set of power cable and mount for my other bike.This power cable has an inline fuse..
  17. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    For those of you that have had the 396 (or any Garmin w/LiveTrack) for a while and have used the LiveTrack - how well does that work? It's a pain to share my location via Google Maps or Apple Maps and since I'm riding with a Garmin I'd prefer to use that feature. However, I'm concerned it's a battery drain on the phone when riding in/out of areas with poor/no cell coverage. Anyone have experience with that functionality on the 396 or newer Garmins?
  18. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have tried to get it to work but for some reason it won't. From what I could find for some people it just doesn't work but I couldn't find a rhyme or reason to it. I would try and see if it will work for you.
  19. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I''ve never used LiveTrack with my 595 because until yesterday, I had not gotten it to work. One problem was that LiveTrack did not recognize the Smartphone Link connection (although the other Link functions worked). The other problem was that the app always reported an error indicating the LiveTrack server was unreachable. After your post came up last night, I remembered mention that a new firmware update was available. I updated my 595 firmware (to ver. 4.60), and now LiveTrack seems to be working properly for the first time ever. I'm not sure I'll use it, but it's nice to know it works.

If you can get it to work, I'd not be too concerned about battery drain. The other Smartphone Link functions don't seem to create any noticeable drain, with or without cell signal. This may have more to do with the phone than the app. My old Galaxy S2 would get warm and drain quickly when out of cellular range, but I do not notice any extra battery use with my S7.
  20. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear with the 595 at least it could work. For me that's a big selling point for rides in the near area and a big reason to upgrade from my 660.